Any flexitarians? How do you explain your diet to others?

Options
For about 6 months, I've been eating primarily vegetarian, but haven't entirely given up meat, and don't intend to. I eat meat maybe 2-3 meals a week or so, usually on the weekends, usually at restaurants or take-out. I don't cook with meat at home. I hear folks like me are called 'flexitarians'. I'm not super concerned about labels, but I find that my eating preferences are confusing to other people. Let me explain.

When I order a veggie option, almost always someone immediately asks me if I'm vegetarian, to which I can't really respond yes because I often order meat-containing dishes at restaurants. Plus, vegetarians work really hard and I don't want to be inauthentic in calling myself a vegetarian. I don't want to say 'no' either, especially if the meal we are sharing is a catered event (which often happens at work) and I've requested a special vegetarian option. So I usually go into detail about how I eat vegetarian most of the time, but eat meat sometimes, they usually have a lot of questions, and I end up getting annoyed, and then some people can get rude or are just dumbfounded. People seem to be comfortable with people fitting into the categories of vegetarians or meat-eaters, but have trouble with the ambiguity of someone who orders vegetarian meals but who is not technically a vegetarian. It's like they don't know what to do with me..

Clearly, the solution is that people should be able to eat whatever they want and not have to defend it, but that's not the reality. So my question for other flexitarians out there.. how do you identify yourself to others? How do you answer that question "are you a vegetarian?"

Replies

• OnTheGround
    Options
    I generally just said "Vegetarian dishes fit into my diet better" and leave it at that.
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with ontheground. I am Gluten free and get really tired of people asking if I do it as a "fad". It really is no ones business why or how you choose your foods.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I followed a "Flexitarian" plan for a bit before I settled on what works best for me. People have never heard of the term and I actually showed my coworkers a web site with info. on it in order for them to believe I wasn't just making up a word. You could simply say that you restrict meats on your diet or something to that effect.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If someone asks if you are vegetarian why not just say "no" and leave it at that? I don't think there is a strong need to explain what you put into your body and why. Even if it is a catered meal and you requested the vegetarian option, it can just be because you like that particular food. You are not a vegetarian because you still eat meat. How often is not important.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of flak for being vegetarian but I always tell people, " I don't question your food choices, don't question mine" YOu don't need to explain anything.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I vastly prefer vegan food, but sometimes I eat meat or cheese or eggs or something because it's what's available. If people ask, I'll just say, "I prefer vegan food, but sometimes I've just got to not be vegan for whatever reason. Most of my meals are vegan."
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    How about "I prefer to limit my intake of meat to just a few meals a week."? This isn't all that unusual, you seem to be making more out of it than you need to.
  • jharlowlives
    jharlowlives Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nope. No to this. You answer "No, I'm not a vegetarian" because you still eat meat. It doesn't matter how little meat you consume, you consume it. To call yourself a vegetarian would be an insult. You aren't a "flexitarian" either, you eat meat. You're a normal person that isn't that into meat. You don't call yourself anything.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses so far. Thanks for your input all! Ultimately it's my choice how I label myself, but you can see from the varied responses why I want to be careful about how I answer this question.. I want to try to offend as few people as possible on all sides!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    How about, "The vegetarian dish sounded good to me, today" and leave it at that?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    How about "I prefer to limit my intake of meat to just a few meals a week."? This isn't all that unusual, you seem to be making more out of it than you need to.

I was going to go with something like that. Or just "I generally prefer not to eat meat." While I typically think it's incredibly rude to comment on someone's food preferences, I can sort of understand someone mentioning it out of curiosity if you're at a table with them and a waiter sets your food down and says "and here's your vegetarian option." Either way, you don't owe anyone an in-depth explanation, unless you truly feel compelled to educate them about your choices. A simple little answer that doesn't demand a lot of follow up is more than sufficient.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Nope. No to this. You answer "No, I'm not a vegetarian" because you still eat meat. It doesn't matter how little meat you consume, you consume it. To call yourself a vegetarian would be an insult. You aren't a "flexitarian" either, you eat meat. You're a normal person that isn't that into meat. You don't call yourself anything.

What she said

Why do you even feel the need to label yourself based on the food you do or do not eat? If you want to be technical, you are on omnivore, you just don't eat meat often. If someone feels the need to question why you ordered a vegitarian dish, as them why the ordered what they did. Seriously, people making up labels for themselves and their eating habits is getting ridiculous. Eat what you like and get on with life
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I thought that was the definition of a flexitarian?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There's a scientific term for someone who eats both meats and plant based foods: Omnivore. You could choose to label yourself as some other funky term someone made up off the top of their head a few weeks/months ago if you want, sure, but the only thing you're proving to the world is that you're a sucker for trends and generally not worth taking seriously. Not saying that really DOES describe you, but that's the impression I'd get from the term "flexitarian."
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Did someone wake up in Grumpysville?!?
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vegetarian when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's in college. I was told that avoiding meat MAY help with some of the symptoms. I learned that (for me) too much meat was a problem - but fish, chicken and other animal proteins were not making my symptoms worse. I went strict vegetarian for some time - and then started to add and subtract foods along the way.

My step-sister was (and still is) a reactionary liberal. She's the mirror image of the most reactionary conservative. I'm not trying to be political - just giving you an idea of her personality. She thought that I had come over to her side of the political spectrum, and when she'd wax poetic about avoiding meat - I would respond that I missed steak and cheeseburgers. I also couldn't get enough protein with that diet (tofu tastes like tofu - not chicken, meat or anything else). Ultimately I started to feel better when I upped my fish (mercury poisoning be damned) and chicken. I brought beef back into the mix, but I was careful and certainly knew eating a Brontosaurus Steak would create certain GI issues.

I loved being a rebel among rebels. I kinda missed being the uninvited member of a sect that rejected all the politics, but "chose vegetarianism" for health reasons. Over time, I learned that my body needs, craves and operates most efficiently with animal (especially fish) protein. When I walked away from it, I had my vegetarian bona-fides but rejected it as an option for me after strict adherence.

It's cool to be different. It's even cooler to take control and eat what makes you healthy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Did someone wake up in Grumpysville?!?

:laugh:
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are much the same, I've never heard the term 'flexitarian' though. She says we're lazy vegans, I just call us opportunistic omnivores (like tortoises!). If it's cheaper, easier, and healthier to do it vegan or vegetarian, then we do. And then we go out for burgers because burgers are delicious. But really, we stopped eating meat because we couldn't afford it. Now I have a better job and we can, but we've gotten used to - and even prefer - not making meat at home. We've found other substitutes that work just as well.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've eaten like you my whole life. I've never heard the term "flexitarian" before, but because I do eat meat, I call myself a non-vegetarian or an omnivore. If I get something vegetarian while eating out and someone asks me if I'm vegetarian, all I say is, "No, but I just don't feel like meat today." No one ever asks more than that... I don't see why you have to launch into an explanation for your choices. Just deflect the question away with a "non-controversial" answer.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am not a flexitarian but when a comment is made about my diet or food choice I just respond that 'I am very picky' that usually shuts people up and makes way for a change of the subject!