MFP roadtrip to me! lol

Options
13»

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Tam, my raft was me, 1 other guy, and 6 woman with a first year guide (none of us had ever rafted before). You know that first hole called the exterminator? We got crushed by it, folded the raft in half, flipped it, and threw everyone out, we got swepted down so far we almost went to the next class 5's. It was pretty scary, I guess they had just released the dam that day and the river was extra strong.
    THAT was scary. I have a video of it, I'll see if I can't get it put online, you will see it and cringe, I never saw a big White water raft get folded in half before, but this one did. I really thought I was gonna drown. But it was all cuz our guide was very new, and didn't realize we wouldn't have the muscle to paddle out of the hole.

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, a hole is basically the bottom of a small waterfall (like about 6 feet down, and when you paddle out, if you don't have enough speed or strength, then you get sucked back in by the down current. It's usually not that bad, but this day it was extra strong, and we sat in that hole trying to paddle out for like 10 seconds (terrified) before a current caught the side of the raft, folded it up, and flipped it like 5 feet in the air, dumping all of us into a class 5 rapid. They do make sure all the rafts in front hang around with ropes to "rescue" people (there were like 15 rafts on this trip). But most of them missed us and we floated down almost 1/2 a mile before we found a slow part (right before the next rapids) My wife was crying by the end.

On the upside, if you put a few in shape guys (or experienced, strong women) in a raft, then you are fine 99% of the time. For some reason, the rafting company felt that a raft full of newbies, on the 2nd hardest White Water in Maine, on the strongest current day of the year, with a brand new guide was fine. Duh! Nice move *kitten*! Even though, it was still really fun.

Yikes!! That sounds scary! It wasn't so bad when I went...and luckily we had a guide that was a friend of one of the people we went with....a local who knew what he was doing in his sleep! So, we were in pretty good hands. I didn't realize just how hard it was to stay upright! LOL! I kept getting thrown INTO the raft!! I was cracking up the whole time too because getting thrown around is just funny to me! HAHAHA! So, I spent most of the time trying to move back onto the side of the raft after having been pushed into the middle of it!!

I didn't fall out though!! Woohoo! When we finally got through the rapids and were in the calm part..our guide was like "Get into the river and just enjoy it!"....so we did..our life jackets keeping us afloat.....and enjoyed the cool water on the hot day as we floated along with the current. It was beautiful!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    OK Can we eat Lobster and go to Arcadia National Park ? It is far from FL but they call me AAA cause I love to travel.

~Namaste

LOL! I'm so sick of lobster. None for me please. I live in beverly MA, we are right on the water, about 1/2 mile from the doc where the lobstermen come in (my brother has a boat, and you are allowed, as a beverly resident, to put out 11 residential traps). Basically after they sell off their catch (around 12:30 every day), if you show up, they are required to sell what's left (the 1.5 lb chicken lobsters usually) or throw them back in the water, they can't keep em (it's illegal). So you can get lobsters for 2 bucks a pound there, still kickin and screamin. You get sick of em after a while. Well, not really, but you get board with em a little some times. Although, my brother isn't very good at catching them yet (this is his second year), it's actually an art to find the right places to put lobster pots.

Now clams on the other hand, I'll never get sick of clams. You buy a bunch of live clams, throw them in your tub with cold water overnight, toss in a bunch of cornmeal, and the next day all the sand they eat is at the bottom of the tub, and the corn meal is in their belly (I.E. no grit when you eat the clams, that's the mark of a great clam, no grit and big full bellies). MMMMMmmmmmMmmmm! Steamers that have just feasted on corn meal are the BEST thing ever.
  • beautifulbay
    beautifulbay Posts: 159
    Options
    oooooooooooooooo. white water rafting party with wine and frozen tightie whities!!!!!!

Who can resist??

I'm so there!!

:laugh: :laugh: .

I'll bring extra toe spreader thingies and some martini making stuff! ---who's bringing the naughty movies??? {looks around innocently}
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    NAUGHTY MOVIES! :sick: lol we'll have to just make some...:laugh:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    NAUGHTY MOVIES! :sick: lol we'll have to just make some...:laugh:

Hmmm...I may be out. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OK Can we eat Lobster and go to Arcadia National Park ? It is far from FL but they call me AAA cause I love to travel.

~Namaste

LOL! I'm so sick of lobster. None for me please.
    :noway: :frown:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Oh yay!! PJ party with tons of tipsy girls!!!!:tongue:

LOL, now I wanna go too. I can be there in a couple of hours.

We can go white water rafting. The Penobscott river is a great
    Class 5 that has a giant hole right at the beginning. You want a good
    calorie burn with a lot of fun? Do that! I'll bet you burn 2000 calories
    on an all day white water trip!
    Bankable wants to be my sober buddy:tongue:
    I don't swim!!!:indifferent:
  • banks1850
    Options

Sure, I was a lifeguard in high school, and know (well, no longer certified, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed) CPR and lifesaving techniques, as well as basic first aid.

So when you start chokeing down water I can give you Mouth to Mouth:huh:
    Or, maybe I should just do the chest compressions and let your hubby do that, I don't want to get punched while trying to save your life. :tongue:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

Sure, I was a lifeguard in high school, and know (well, no longer certified, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed) CPR and lifesaving techniques, as well as basic first aid.

So when you start chokeing down water I can give you Mouth to Mouth:huh:
    Or, maybe I should just do the chest compressions and let your hubby do that, I don't want to get punched while trying to save your life. :tongue:
    Who said anything about hubbz being there? :bigsmile:
  • banks1850
    Options

LOL! now I'm really in trouble.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

LOL! now I'm really in trouble.
    Yes you are!! :devil: