Slacking on cardio

Options
Getting into the mindset that lifting and eating a lot of protein is enough... my goal right now is not to necessarily see the scale go down, as long as I'm cutting fat. so cardio is probably a very important key. but I'm so sick of it, it feels like a chore. rant over.

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I totally get it between weight training and cardio, but it needs to get done, I get on a rant complaining also, but I have come along way from 350 lbs to 157 lbs and still going strong. We can rant all we want, but we still need to get it done!!! Get it ! you got this!!

Nadia
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cardio fan either, I feel you.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have done sooooooooooo much cardio the past year and the past couple weeks I just can't talk myself into it. I know I need to.. it will get done! It's just mind numbingly boring to me
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got serious about lifting I've been slacking on my cardio. I hate it now, sooooooo boring! Yesterday I struggled through 35 minutes on the ARC Trainer and it was torture. I still have 30-40 lbs to lose so cardio is still a necessary evil in my life.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't necessary to cut fat. I lost 20+ lbs of fat with absolutely zero cardio.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I, too, have been slacking on this lately. I had been doing a 50/50 mix of weights and running. Then I decided to lift 4x/wk and run 2x. But with it getting dark early I've been having trouble motivating myself to go out and run at night. I might have to suck it up and use the treadmill.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't necessary to cut fat. I lost 20+ lbs of fat with absolutely zero cardio.

did you have to eat less calories than you would if you were dong cardio?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Getting into the mindset that lifting and eating a lot of protein is enough... my goal right now is not to necessarily see the scale go down, as long as I'm cutting fat. so cardio is probably a very important key. but I'm so sick of it, it feels like a chore. rant over.

Agreed. Gotta do the dirty to have the fun though.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    At this point, I try to get in at least 10-15 minutes of cardio after my lifting sessions. It's good for my heart.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to a group fitness class instead of on a machine. It'll shake up the routine. Plus, once you're in the room all you have to do is follow directions. You don't have to keep convincing/motivating yourself to keep going the same way when you don't have to think as much!

If your gym doesn't have group fitness, hop on groupon and see if you can find a few cheap classes of zumba or cardio pole or cycle :)
  • marlyu
    marlyu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've gotten bored with the stationary bike, treadmill, and elliptical too. To mix it up, I add rowing machine and a stair stepper here and there. But, the best change up is to do total body workout videos, like those found on fitnessblender.com. Love them. You get cardio, strength, etc. and you can find many videos with little to no equipment needed. There are also varying difficulty levels and lengths of workouts. I add these to my rotations and find new ones every week. My workouts now always feel balanced.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I only do weights as well, I hit a complete mental block with cardio a short while back. Lifting heavy and intensively enough gets your heart racing anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

no- but at some point you have to eat an insanely low amount of food - where as with 2 sessions or so of 30 min of cardio or a few sessions of HIIT you can get you the same result without the stress of eating so little.

I dislike doing cardio- but guess what- I do it- why- because I'm already eating 1500-1600. More cardio = more food plain and simple.

I do HIIT workouts- sprints- or the stairmaster or the spin bikes- I am particularly "fond" of the stairmaster/bikes- only because I put on my netflix and watch shows- easy peasy - watch one whole episode of whatever- and the time flies by.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you are sick of cardio, I would definitely try to add in some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to your routine. Short bursts of energy that put the heart into the anaerobic state of exercise is going to target that fat burn better than sessions of cardio. Plus, a change from the regular routine stresses the body in a different way that can help with additional weight loss.

But remember, if you're out to just cut fat, nutrition is going to be even more important than exercise, especially as you get closer to those last few pounds. Eating too little cannot only cause your body to go into "starvation mode" and retain fat, but your body will then also start breaking down your muscles to fuel itself (which is where a solid amount of protein comes in). Good luck! And you got this!
  • tquill
    Options

Certainly, but it's a lot easier for me to not eat a cookie than it is to spend 15 minutes (or however long) on the treadmill.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Certainly, but it's a lot easier for me to not eat a cookie than it is to spend 15 minutes (or however long) on the treadmill.

that only works but for so low.
  • tquill
    Options
    no- but at some point you have to eat an insanely low amount of food - where as with 2 sessions or so of 30 min of cardio or a few sessions of HIIT you can get you the same result without the stress of eating so little.

I dislike doing cardio- but guess what- I do it- why- because I'm already eating 1500-1600. More cardio = more food plain and simple.

I do HIIT workouts- sprints- or the stairmaster or the spin bikes- I am particularly "fond" of the stairmaster/bikes- only because I put on my netflix and watch shows- easy peasy - watch one whole episode of whatever- and the time flies by.

I suppose it depends on one's preference. Personally, I dislike cardio more than I like extra food. I agree that HIIT is the way to go if one chooses to do cardio.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I really hate steady state cardio at the gym; it's so boring! I try to get mine in more fun ways like mountain biking, kayaking, or even just taking the dog on a fast-paced walk.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I have done sooooooooooo much cardio the past year and the past couple weeks I just can't talk myself into it. I know I need to.. it will get done! It's just mind numbingly boring to me

Why don't you just eat less?

In fact, considering you are at or near goal weight, what are your plans for your body? Cardio just makes you hungry. Why don't you just lift and eat at maintenance?
  • JoRocka
    Options

I suppose it depends on one's preference. Personally, I dislike cardio more than I like extra food. I agree that HIIT is the way to go if one chooses to do cardio.

at the point where I"m eating below 1500 calories- cardio wins out over the lower food- for me it's not a matter of "I get to eat an extra cookie" cardio means I get to eat another meal.

I would rather go sweat it out- than just starve- sitting around starving to me is pointless.