The morning banana diet. Too good to be true?

Options
This is a diet were you eat a banana for breakfast, and then eat whatever the hell you want for lunch and dinner and still lose weight. I saw this and thought, this is too good to be true. Eating bananas for breakfast and then eating something like McDonalds for lunch everyday and still being able to lose weight? It just seems too good to be true

http://morningbanana.com/morning-banana-diet-rules

My only guess about why this may work is because you're not allowed to snack in between meals. So that creates a calorie deficit

Replies

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit. If you eat too many calories on the morning banana diet, then you will gain weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's too good to be true. Bananas have no magical weight loss properties. In fact, eating only a banana for breakfast would cause problems for some people because they'd be starving by lunch and might eat more as a result.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This is a diet were you eat a banana for breakfast, and then eat whatever the hell you want for lunch and dinner and still lose weight. I saw this and thought, this is too good to be true. Eating bananas for breakfast and then eating something like McDonalds for lunch everyday and still being able to lose weight? It just seems too good to be true

http://morningbanana.com/morning-banana-diet-rules

My only guess about why this may work is because you're not allowed to snack in between meals. So that creates a calorie deficit

I eat McDonalds pretty frequently and I've lost quite a bit of weight. Because on days I eat McD's, I'm still at a deficit.

So yes, it's too good to be true. You just need to eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight. Like magic.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Eating bananas for breakfast and then eating something like McDonalds for lunch everyday and still being able to lose weight? It just seems too good to be true
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Something like McDonalds for lunch everyday" isn't exactly living the dream. I think you could stand to raise the bar a wee bit.
  • anita1987
    Options
    Hello, I recently heard about this and was wondering how it went, any results?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people get fat skipping breakfast altogether.

Protip: Don't trust any diet or weight loss plan that includes the "Eat whatever you want" or "Eat as much as you want" business.

Losing weight requires a reduction in calories in (eating), hopefully combined with an increase in your calories out (exercise). There is no magical "whatever you want" plan. Look at your total caloric goal and try to hit that. Get a good balance of macronutrients and make not of which ones satisfy you best. Move. Profit.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was thinking..okay, I gained weight by not eating any breakfast at all and eating whatever I wanted the rest of the day...usually McDonalds! (Or taco bell, if I was trying to mix it up for a bit of variety lol)

But I checked out the link, and its actually more of a sneaky way to get someone to eat properly, more than youd think.

Eat a banana for breakfast. Or two if you still want more to eat. Or some other fruit if you dont want banana. Have an onigiri an hour or so later if you are hungry or a bowl of oatmeal. So now, just a banana for breakfast, has actually become any piece of fruit..or two, and oatmeal.

Eat *normally* for lunch and dinner. Eat until 8/10th full only. Be mindful and chew all your food carefully.

An afternoon snack is permitted...something sweet, or salty, whatever your preference.

Drink only water. All day every day. Non calorie drinks permitted...but frowned upon.

----

Sooo...the banana diet is eating 3 healthy meals, not to the point of being "full" but satisfied, including a small snack, and drinking water. Basically, its a eat your meals in moderation and drink lots of water diet... otherwise known as... the whole point LoL
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Proof positive that whatever dietary intervention you can come up with, and without any science or logic behind it, you will put money in your bank. The internet is your retirement fund.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    One banana is around 100cal. Most people who need to lose any significant weight will probably need to eat somewhere in the ballpark of 1500-2000cals per day to still be in a decent deficit.

This means that if you're looking to eat three meals a day, you'd have 1400-1900 calories leftover, or 700-950cals per meal. 700-950 calories is a pretty good sized meal, so while the "eat whatever the hell you like" isn't completely true, the banana gives you a bunch of room to eat a couple pretty big meals.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about wake up sex.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit. If you eat too many calories on the morning banana diet, then you will gain weight.

This! I eat a banana almost everyday - because I like them and I like the potassium. I still have to have a calorie deficit or the weight creeps up!

This is just another silly thing that keeps people fat.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »

Well played, MB!

• MB_Positif
    Options

Well played, MB!

;)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

It still could be.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

It still could be.

Very good point.
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So it turns out my other half has been on this diet her whole life, explains why she appears to eat all the things and still stay slim! To be fair though, she also generally only eats 250-300kcal for lunch and walks around a ton, so by the time it's evening she can eat 1200kcal in one go no problem. Sucks to be me because I usually have about 600 remaining for dinner while she eats all the delicious junk she wants...
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I was thinking..okay, I gained weight by not eating any breakfast at all and eating whatever I wanted the rest of the day...usually McDonalds! (Or taco bell, if I was trying to mix it up for a bit of variety lol)

But I checked out the link, and its actually more of a sneaky way to get someone to eat properly, more than youd think.

Eat a banana for breakfast. Or two if you still want more to eat. Or some other fruit if you dont want banana. Have an onigiri an hour or so later if you are hungry or a bowl of oatmeal. So now, just a banana for breakfast, has actually become any piece of fruit..or two, and oatmeal.

Eat *normally* for lunch and dinner. Eat until 8/10th full only. Be mindful and chew all your food carefully.

An afternoon snack is permitted...something sweet, or salty, whatever your preference.

Drink only water. All day every day. Non calorie drinks permitted...but frowned upon.

----

Sooo...the banana diet is eating 3 healthy meals, not to the point of being "full" but satisfied, including a small snack, and drinking water. Basically, its a eat your meals in moderation and drink lots of water diet... otherwise known as... the whole point LoL

The bolded parts are the reason this "diet" works.
    Many overweight people eat until they're stuffed. Changing that to 8/10ths full reduces their caloric intake.
    Many overweight people drink pop and other drinks that are full of calories but do little to satiate. Removing that means they are likely to consume less calories.
    By doing these two things many people will end up consuming less calories. That is what will help them lose weight.

The banana, and everything else here, is irrelevant. It's just window dressing to get you to come into their shop and buy their product.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

----

The bolded parts are the reason this "diet works".
    Many overweight people eat until they're stuffed. Changing that to 8/10ths full reduces their caloric intake.
    Many overweight people drink pop and other drinks that are full of calories but do little to satiate. Removing that means they are likely to consume less calories.
    By doing these two things many people will end up consuming less calories. That is what will help them lose weight.

The banana, and everything else here, is irrelevant. It's just window dressing to get you to come into their shop and buy their product.

Yup, that is exactly what I came away with from this as well. Its literally an eat less, dont drink your calories meal plan. If someone changes to eating this way, they will create a deficit which means losing weight.

Pretty much all "new clever way to lose weight plan!" really come right down to this. Its just a matter of coming up with new ways to trick people into doing what they should be doing when trying to lose weight anyway...eat at a deficit, except maskign it with some sort of approach "eat only this food" "eat only at this time" blah blah blah..to make it appear special or ground breaking.

Like, even the bananas arent a requirement in this banana diet! LoL That alone tells you something!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I will share with you the wisdom of my mother-- if you have to ask whether something is too good to be true, it's because it's too good to be true.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It's basically restricting your breakfast so that you can eat more later. Nothing special... You don't have to eat a banana to do this.