Your single most important tip for someone's first 5k?

Options
I am running my first 5k in two weeks. I've been doing a relaxed version of C25K, meaning that I use it as a guideline for when to run and for how long to push myself. I'm up to week 6 day 1. I run now about 4 times a week for 2-3 miles at a time in about 30-40 minutes.

What's your number one tip for someone doing their first 5K? It could be anything from the actual running to something I may want to bring or do beforehand... All tips are welcomed!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    make sure you smile as often as you can during the race. not only is it proven that it will help uplift your spirits while running, you will make a great target for race course photographers on race day. so many of those guys are hidden and have telephoto lenses so by the time you actually see them, they've already taken 10 shots of you.

as for training, try and get up to 4 miles. and make sure to taper the week leading up to your race. don't work out at all the 2-3 days leading up to your race.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling generous so I'll give three

1. Don't die
    2. Remember it's all for fun
    3. Make sure you're starting in the right place. Don't be up near the front where the fast runners have to run you over, don't be in the back where you have to maneuver around walkers and stroller pushers
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself!!! My first one was 2 weeks ago. I was nervous on the way there and standing in the starting line, but once I got out there I loved it! The people I had been talking to while we were standing in the starting line, encouraged me along the first part of the race (they passed me and kept going as they were doing either the half or fill marathon). There was lots of people along the way cheering you along. It was a wonderful! The best part was shaving over 2 minutes off my previous personal best and doing it under 30 minutes, something I didn't think possible!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Have fun.

(and I have to go with DavPul's #3 too, seed yourself accordingly. If you don't have a good shot at winning, you shouldn't be lined up at the front).

Here is a good thread too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • red66stang
    Options
    If you are a fast runner get close to the front of the pack before you start. If you are a slow runner you should start near the back. If there are lots of people running it usually takes about the first 1/2 mile until people are spread far enough apart that you can get into your pace and really run. A 5K isn't that far so go out and enjoy yourself.
  • loveiscloser
    Options
    make sure you smile as often as you can during the race. not only is it proven that it will help uplift your spirits while running, you will make a great target for race course photographers on race day. so many of those guys are hidden and have telephoto lenses so by the time you actually see them, they've already taken 10 shots of you.

as for training, try and get up to 4 miles. and make sure to taper the week leading up to your race. don't work out at all the 2-3 days leading up to your race.

So I can be this guy? wqx841.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in the initial rush when they start the race. It is easy to charge off the starting line and run too fast and then end up out of breath, etc. Set your own pace and don't let it get to you if somebody passes you (but also, as mentioned above, start off in the right place as much as you can.)
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Dont go out too fast. You might be excited, but its best to stay back, settle into a pace, and pick it up after mile 1.
  • AdamRNY
    AdamRNY Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started my 5K training so I don't have any tips yet but the "Don't Die" one given earlier seems like a winner to me.

GOOD LUCK and report back on how it went!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Have fun!

The first race is NEVER for time, but rather to finish. Enjoy the atmosphere around you, the music, and the comradery between all the runners.

Don't worry about your run time until the second race. THAT is when you begin to challenge yourself to run faster.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

So I can be this guy? wqx841.png

yup...

totally_zpsf93c888c.png
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Have fun and don't trip at the finish line....:laugh:
  • loveiscloser
    Options
    I appreciate your disclaimer on this, haha.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    control your breathing !
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Technique. Don't try to go fast, just concentrate on moving your body in a rhythm and the distance will go all by itself :-)
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Have fun!

Don't run the race in anything you haven't run in before. (Clothes/socks/shoes) Don't go out too fast. Pace yourself. Good luck!

Ah yes! No new shoes or clothing.

My tips:
    1) Set a goal... whether that be to finish or to run/jog the entire time or to not trip at the finish line...
    2) Wear layers that can easily be shed, but also carried with
    3) Fuel up!!! Have a good snack available for after when your body is recovering.

Oops that was three.....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    only tip is to have fun!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Make sure to hydrate a little extra in the days leading up the event. My other #1 tip - dress in layers!! Check the weather the day before, but maybe bring a light jacket, gloves and beanie/ear warmer in case it is cold in the morning. If it warms up fast, you can just take the layers off. For a 5k you shouldn't need any snacks because the distance is short, just make sure to get a small meal at least an hour before the run. And I have found I prefer NOT to drink coffee on race days because it makes me pee! Just a few things I've learned along the way. Oh yeah, and don't eat anything you wouldn't normally eat in the days leading up to avoid digestion discomfort.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how fast everyone else is going. You're running for you, against you- no one else.

Pace yourself from the beginning; resist the urge to start too fast and keep up with the pack. It won't do you any favors.

Warm up a little bit before the race (sometimes even running up to a mile). They say the shorter the race, the longer the warmup.

Don't eat too much beforehand! And make sure it's something you've eaten before so you know your stomach won't be upset.

Have fun! Walk if you need to, but keep going! You'll be addicted in no time!

I ran my first 5K in April with a time of 36 minutes. I almost died. 16 races later (including a half marathon!), my 5K PR is 27:36! Not fast in comparison to others, but for me, it's a miracle! :)