Your single most important tip for someone's first 5k?

Options

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wear what you normally run in! I cannot stress this enough. No extra tutus or crazy costume; unless you do this on a daily basis. Also the race tshirt worn the day of the race will show your rookie self; so don't do it. Wear your shirt when you are clean and ready to celebrate after the race is done.

Have fun! This is the most important thing. You are accomplishing a great thing!

I had to laugh about this one. Had my first 5k last month. I picked up my packet the evening before and spent 10 minutes that night trying to figure out if I'd run in the t-shirt or what I normally wore. I opted to wear a running shirt I had that was the same color (blue).

When I pulled into the parking lot, I freaked out because 80% of the people had on the t-shirt. It was a school fundrasier, so I think it was more out of school spirit than anything else. I thought I was committing some sort of running faux pas. But then I saw some others wearing their regular running gear.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you can walk
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Wear what you normally run in! I cannot stress this enough. No extra tutus or crazy costume; unless you do this on a daily basis. Also the race tshirt worn the day of the race will show your rookie self; so don't do it. Wear your shirt when you are clean and ready to celebrate after the race is done.

Have fun! This is the most important thing. You are accomplishing a great thing!

I had to laugh about this one. Had my first 5k last month. I picked up my packet the evening before and spent 10 minutes that night trying to figure out if I'd run in the t-shirt or what I normally wore. I opted to wear a running shirt I had that was the same color (blue).

When I pulled into the parking lot, I freaked out because 80% of the people had on the t-shirt. It was a school fundrasier, so I think it was more out of school spirit than anything else. I thought I was committing some sort of running faux pas. But then I saw some others wearing their regular running gear.

i can't... i can't run a race in the shirt they give you at packet pick up. the shirt is to wear 1-2 days after the race. wearing it on race day is just bad mojo.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    HAVE FUN!

No matter what you do, it will be a personal best! So enjoy it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    This is timely as I am running my first 5K on Saturday. The problem I am concerned about is that I have really only run when the weather was in the 70's - 80's. The forecasted temps for Saturday morning race time is 45-50 degrees. Any tips for that? I vaguely recall the one time I tried to run in the cold that the breathing in the cold air was really difficult.

warm up really really really well beforehand. do 100 jumping jacks. run in place for two minutes.

also, i find that when i run in temperatures like that, i wear a long sleeved t-shirt and still wear shorts.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Smile for the cameras! Pace yourself so you don't run out of steam too early on.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Check the altitude on the itinerary!! That's what killed me on my frist 5K!! I had done a C25K in 9 weeks and was able to run 3 km non-stop. I tought I could run 5K with intervals in the end. But the altitude difference was like +30m and -30m wich I wasn't used to!!
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Tips for your first ever 5K? I have little to offer other than no matter what happens...try to finish upright and smiling. Remember its your personal best! The picture may as well be a good one!
  • CaptainJAG_37
    Options
    One foot in front of the other. Oh, and have fun. :drinker:
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A few tips

1. Race like you train (and train like you race) -- that is don't incorporate something new whether it be clothes, headphones, running app, food, water bottle, etc.

2. Don't wear the tech shirt / t-shirt you get at pick-up (if one). See rule #1. Do where this years to next years!

3. As noted by many do find the right place at the start line. Most well run races have folks holding up signs (6, 9, 12, WALK). The number is the minutes per mile pace you will run. From your description of timing you should be slightly in front of the 12 minute mile sign if one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Check the altitude on the itinerary!! That's what killed me on my frist 5K!! I had done a C25K in 9 weeks and was able to run 3 km non-stop. I tought I could run 5K with intervals in the end. But the altitude difference was like +30m and -30m wich I wasn't used to!!

do you mean the total elevation of the course, above sea level? or the total amount of climbing and descending that you did?
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Tip
    Run at your pace and have fun

I ran a 5K a couple of years ago. One and only, too busy coaching sports etc. One of my friends needed some support so I agreed to go with him. Two mistakes I made
    1). Over hydrated, it was in the 90s so I drank alot of water. I sprinted across the finish line straight to the bathroom
    2). Ego, I was a competitive athlete in high school, so when that gun went off I took off in a wild sprint. It would have been much better to start out slow then speed up after the traffic cleared up. Don't get caught up in "there is no way that person xxx is going to pass me or beat me". I finished in a good time, but was so exhausted I was worthless for many days. There were many fun activities and food afterward. I would have enjoyed them much more if I didn't run so much faster than normal.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As a non-competitive runner, who placed in the middle of the pack in my first and only organized running race (a 25K in 1995, the Old Kent River Bank Run in Grand Rapids), my advice is: for your first race, don't race. Run at a comfortable pace and focus on finishing strong. You'll be buoyed by the enthusiasm of the crowd and the presence of the pack, but try to start out more slowly than you'd like and pick up speed in the second half of the race, if you can. It's exhilarating to pass people as you're approaching the goal.

If you find that you like the race and want to improve, then you can focus on race strategy, etc. But the first time out, just enjoy yourself while pushing yourself just a little bit harder than in a training run.

And have fun!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I don't believe this had been mentioned already, but thank the volunteers. Without them, there would be no race. Also, be sure to cheer for someone else after you cross the finish line. I really enjoyed doing that after completing my first 5K a couple of weeks ago.

Have fun!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Already tons of great tips here. I'll add one.

Keep your race bib and on the back write down the date, location, if you ran with someone, your time and how you felt about the race. "It was so cold but a lot of fun." "I had a great pace until I crashed into the Gatorade table." "The course was beautiful and I can't wait to run this race again next year!".

I toss the bibs in a bag that I got from some race and pop it in a drawer. Nice memento and cool to see how you advance as a runner.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I did not read through all the answers so apologies if that has been said before:

1. Do not try anything new on the day, e.g. new shoes, drinks, energy boosters...that you have not tried before. You might get an upset stomach, blisters...
    2. Go to the toilet
    3. Go to the toilet again...
    4. Start slowly and get into the swing of things
    5. Do not race for time at your first race, it is about completing it
    6. Do not eat too much for breakfast, but eat carbohydrates
    7. For 5K you do not need extra water, so do not carry any bottles
    8. No cotton clothes
    9. Have fun!

Stef.
  • Just ran my first 5K last Sunday. It was everything I hoped for. Just relax, and run your race, just like your training. It is easy to get caught up in race day nerves, but just let it be, and enjoy it. And I kept my number too, have it framed on my wall. Oh, and one last thing, my Wife and kids were all there, and THAT was what made it even more amazing. Have friends and family if you can, to share in your day! And GOOD LUCK!!!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Have fun
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Do not start out too fast. I usually hang back or I get too tired in the first half.