Why do they make calories so confusing? Help!

Options
So me and my girlfriend are trying to figure out how many calories are in a bag of popcorn and we...yeah. We had a hard time for a second there lol why the heck doesn't it just simply say how many calories popped per bag? Craziness! How many calories is it for just a bag? I think stuff like this is easily responsible for people miscounting cals and confused about lack of weight loss

http://i.imgur.com/IRHyzo1.jpg

Posting the pic made it too big so here's just a link

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My brain just popped :explode:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Yeah, companies use tricks like that to make their products seem more calorie friendly. The truth is most people will eat the whole bag. We generally don't pop a bag of popcorn and save 2/3's of the bag for later. Same with a 16 oz soda. Most people drink the whole thing yet you will see the servings per container listed as 2, the 20 oz soda sometimes lists servings as 2.5. Again, most people drink the whole thing. You just have to pay attention to the serving sizes of EVERYTHING you eat.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a marketing technique to sell things. I bought those protein cheerios. Sure, they're a little better macros for the calories...maybe haha. They claim to be 10g of protein per serving but in small font it says "with milk". Alone, they are only 6g of protein for like 200 calories :(

Also, poptarts. I used to think 200 calories was both poptarts in the wrapper. Nope. Just one.

Have to be careful, those sneaky hobbitses.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My brain just popped :explode:

+1. 500 bonus points to anyone who can explain the logic behind that label.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    I tried to do the math and i got 420 calories for a bag. Is that right? So far nobody has actually answered lol
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I seriously made a status about this two days ago. Math is not my strong point, so yeah, just putting the calories per bag would really help me out.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    It would be roughly 105 calories for the bag/3 cups popped.

They say there's enough kernels to make 4 cups per bag, however, not all kernels pop.

So, if you just eat the popped kernels of one whole bag and leave the unopened kernels, you'll have consumed 105 calories for an entire bag.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yeah, companies use tricks like that to make their products seem more calorie friendly. The truth is most people will eat the whole bag. We generally don't pop a bag of popcorn and save 2/3's of the bag for later. Same with a 16 oz soda. Most people drink the whole thing yet you will see the servings per container listed as 2, the 20 oz soda sometimes lists servings as 2.5. Again, most people drink the whole thing. You just have to pay attention to the serving sizes of EVERYTHING you eat.

I saw a candied apple at the store the other day and peeked at the calories out of curiosity. They were listed for 1/4 of the apple. :grumble:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I've always been confused by the nutrition info on popcorn - had this conversation with my husband last night when he was trying to figure out calorie content of the Orville Reddenbacher's pour-over butter package. I can't do it. I'm good at math, I'm even a finance major. Time-value of money is nothing compared to this!

For me, I stick to the little 100 calorie bags. The one's that say: 1 bag = 100 calories.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So the serving size is 2tbsp unpopped & there are 3 servings per bag (about). So go with the 2tbsp unpopped serving size & multiply by 3.

540 calories
    36g fat
    45g carbs
    6g protein
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of unpopped kernels per serving.
    Makes 4 cups of popped popcorn.
    3 servings per bag
    = 12 cups of popped corn per bag

Take the numbers on the right-hand side of the label and multiply by 12 for one bag.
    =420 calories
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    It would be roughly 105 calories for the bag/3 cups popped.

They say there's enough kernels to make 4 cups per bag, however, not all kernels pop.

So, if you just eat the popped kernels of one whole bag and leave the unopened kernels, you'll have consumed 105 calories for an entire bag.

I did math that way too, but it was by accident on my part. Not thinking ahead like you are about how many cups actually pop and whatnot. But if we go on the safe side just to have our bases covered, then a serving size is 4 cups popped. 1 cup popped is 35 calories so per serving so that would be 140 per serving right? And there's 3 servings in a bag so that's...420? God dammit my brain hurts. Figuring this out is irritating cause I've been going off "100 calories or so a bag" for awhile and now I'm worried I might be mis counting
  • MLowe13
    MLowe13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the math and i got 420 calories for a bag. Is that right? So far nobody has actually answered lol

I always figure based on the popped calories. So 1 bag contains about 3 cups popped popcorn and that equals 105 calories.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Also, poptarts. I used to think 200 calories was both poptarts in the wrapper. Nope. Just one.

Ha! i've totally made that mistake before!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    From the image you posted, I'd guess that 1 bag has 3 x 2 tbsp unpopped and each 2tbsp unpopped makes 4 cups popped. So 3 x 4 cups = 12 cups.

But if that is so I don't understand this logic: 2 tbsp = 4 cups popped. 2 tbsp = 180 calories, but 4 cups popped = 140 calories. Unless the difference is to account for the fact some kernels won't pop?
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Go to home page, click on food, decide which meal to add it to, click on add food and then just type in as much info as possible. Brand name, size of packet, (in grams) then click add to food. Then when you have the whole packet size, divide by portion size and it should then tell you how many calories in a portion and in the whole bag.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the popped calories... you're not gonna eat the kernels, right? LOL

There are 3 cups of popcorn per pag, assuming all the kernels pop. Therefor, a whole bag of popcorn has about 100 cals, since 1 cup of popcorn has 35 cals.
  • lolybear
    lolybear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The front of the box should say how many grams of kernels there are per bag.

From a quick google, it looks like one bag contains 99g of kernels. (Double-check your box!)

So one bag contains 3 "servings" (lol) of popcorn.

33g of unpopped kernels has 180 calories.

Therefore each bag has 180x3 = 540 calories.

(This assumes all kernels pop... but honestly, you're hardly going to be left with that many that don't pop. Really what you should do is start with 540, then weigh the unpopped kernels at the end. Say you have 11g unpopped kernels at the end... that means that 60cals worth of kernels did not pop, so the total amount in the bag was 540-60 = 480 calories.)
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    No, 1 bag contains 3 servings and 1 serving is 4 cups popped. So 1 bag is 12 cups popped.

Serving is NOT 1 cup - which is where it gets confusing.

I always figure based on the popped calories. So 1 bag contains about 3 cups popped popcorn and that equals 105 calories.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    No, 1 bag contains 3 servings and 1 serving is 4 cups popped. So 1 bag is 12 cups popped.

Serving is NOT 1 cup - which is where it gets confusing.

This is turning into the most frustrating and controversial thing I've ever posted about. Can we get a mathematician in here?