Why do they make calories so confusing? Help!

Options

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If you measure 2 tablespoons of popcorn kernels and pop them on the stove or in a paper bag, it only produces a few cups.

Ignore the unpopped measurement--that's where they're inconsistent and where everyone gets confused.

It clearly states there are 3 servings per bag and 17 servings in the whole box. 1 serving is 1 cup popped and only 35 calories.

The funny thing is that these "low fat" bags of popcorn aren't much lower in fat than the "regular" popcorn. It's all marketing.
    All popcorn is >90% "fat free" because it's mostly air.

How are you seeing 1 serving = 1 cup popped??? :noway:

Are you looking at the photo he posted it clearly says Amount per serving then 1 cup popped

I'm looking at the image he posted that says "serving size = 2 tbsp unpopped (makes 4 cups popped), servings per bag = 3"
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    If you measure 2 tablespoons of popcorn kernels and pop them on the stove or in a paper bag, it only produces a few cups.

Ignore the unpopped measurement--that's where they're inconsistent and where everyone gets confused.

It clearly states there are 3 servings per bag and 17 servings in the whole box. 1 serving is 1 cup popped and only 35 calories.

The funny thing is that these "low fat" bags of popcorn aren't much lower in fat than the "regular" popcorn. It's all marketing.

You need glasses.

The label is CLEAR. It CLEARLY says one cup popped is one serving.

IF you read it properly and do the CORRECT math; there are enough kernels PER BAG to make 4 cups of POPPED popcorn. However, not all kernels pop. SO, there'd be closer to 3 cups POPPED.

No bag makes 12 cups of popcorn.

You're over-complicating everything and confusing EVERYONE.

Each cup popped = 35 calories

Each bag POPS about 3 cups.

35 calories x 3 (1 cup) servings = 105 calories TOTAL for a bag of just POPPED popcorn.
  • lolly715
    Options
    There are three servings per bag. Each serving is 2tbs kernels, which makes 4 cups popped. So there are 12 cups popped per bag.

You need to multiply the unpopped calories by 3, or popped by 12. This will give you the range of calories per bag which is somewhere between 420-540. I'm assuming their popped calories already takes into consideration average amount unpopped, bag residue (etc) which is why it is lower. 420 is the minimum I would log, or the 540 to be on the safe side.
    The front of the box should say how many grams of kernels there are per bag.

From a quick google, it looks like one bag contains 99g of kernels. (Double-check your box!)

So one bag contains 3 "servings" (lol) of popcorn.

33g of unpopped kernels has 180 calories.

Therefore each bag has 180x3 = 540 calories.

(This assumes all kernels pop... but honestly, you're hardly going to be left with that many that don't pop. Really what you should do is start with 540, then weigh the unpopped kernels at the end. Say you have 11g unpopped kernels at the end... that means that 60cals worth of kernels did not pop, so the total amount in the bag was 540-60 = 480 calories.)

This would be the most accurate method.

That would be a huge bag of popcorn - I think the estimate of 4 cups popped is more in line with the average popcorn bag size.

You'd think so but a typical bag of microwave popcorn (at least here in the UK, but they seem about the same size everywhere) fills my serving bowl, which has a 3L capacity. That is about 12 cups. 4 cups is only 1L which is quite a small bowl. Certainly wouldn't fit a whole bag in it, not even half!
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's like the skinny chips at Jimmy John's. Yeah, they're skinny because they have TWO servings per bag. Let's be honest: nobody eats a sandwich and drinks the drink, but only eats half of the chips that come with it. You can call any chips "skinny chips" if you cut the serving size in half.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

You need glasses.

The label is CLEAR. It CLEARLY says one cup popped is one serving.

IF you read it properly and do the CORRECT math; there are enough kernels PER BAG to make 4 cups of POPPED popcorn. However, not all kernels pop. SO, there'd be closer to 3 cups POPPED.

No bag makes 12 cups of popcorn.

You're over-complicating everything and confusing EVERYONE.

Each cup popped = 35 calories

Each bag POPS about 3 cups.

35 calories x 3 (1 cup) servings = 105 calories TOTAL for a bag of just POPPED popcorn.

Fantastic then, we'll just agree to disagree.

And there are plenty of people in this thread that posted the same numbers I did, so I'm not confusing everyone.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Are you looking at the photo he posted it clearly says Amount per serving then 1 cup popped

I'm looking at the image he posted that says "serving size = 2 tbsp unpopped (makes 4 cups popped), servings per bag = 3"

The servings per bag of 3 is based on you popping the damn thing.NO bag of microwave popcorn makes 12 cups. There is only 2 tablespoons of unpopped in the bag (seriously cut open a bag and measure it). Directly under where you see the 2 tbsp unpopped is the nutrition label where it says a serving is ONE CUP POPPED
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Seriously, go measure out 2 tablespoons of popcorn and pop them. Unless you're using mutant popcorn in modified gravity, it will never make 12 cups. It will make about 3 cups.

Go ahead; I'll wait.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    zap the barcode with reader on app.simples.
    if no can do,no eat.
    also simples.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Seriously, go measure out 2 tablespoons of popcorn and pop them. Unless you're using mutant popcorn in modified gravity, it will never make 12 cups. It will make about 3 cups.

Go ahead; I'll wait.

Exactly! Hell they could do the simple thing and pop a bag of microwave popcorn and then (gasp) measure it in one cup measuring cups. Or hell they don't even need to pop it, cut it open and find that there are only 2 TBSP of unpopped so at absolute most the calories would be 180, which it's better to over estimate than under estimate.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yeah, companies use tricks like that to make their products seem more calorie friendly. The truth is most people will eat the whole bag. We generally don't pop a bag of popcorn and save 2/3's of the bag for later. Same with a 16 oz soda. Most people drink the whole thing yet you will see the servings per container listed as 2, the 20 oz soda sometimes lists servings as 2.5. Again, most people drink the whole thing. You just have to pay attention to the serving sizes of EVERYTHING you eat.

well said
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    12 cups of popcorn is not as much as some of you think it is. Those bags get pretty big in the microwave, and when you dump it out into a bowl, you might very well have 12 cups. If you've ever popped your own popcorn, you know that 2 tablespoons making 4 cups is not at all uncommon.

The label is misleading, and the only way you can get an accurate calorie count is to measure the number of cups of popped corn in the bag and then multiply that by 35. It should be about twelve cups, or 420 calories. The difference between that and the 540 calories calculated elsewhere is mainly in the unpopped kernels.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A Pop Secret Extra Butter popcorn bag (your 180 calories for 4 cups cooked) has 90.7g in each bag. If a serving is 33g and cooking 33g results in 180 calories of popcorn, then the number of calories for one bag is

(90.7/33)x180 = 494.8 calories per bag.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-not-going-to-say-it-s-aliens-but-it-s-aliens-d41d8c.jpg
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Also, poptarts. I used to think 200 calories was both poptarts in the wrapper. Nope. Just one.

Ha! i've totally made that mistake before!

Sure... "mistake"... :bigsmile:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Go ahead; I'll wait.

Yes, but it says there are about 3 servings per bag so it's not just 2 tablespoons, it's closer to 6 tablespoons of kernals. Pop a bag yourself and use a dry measuring cup to count it all out, I'm guessing it will be 10-12 cups popped.

Go ahead; I'll wait.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    How about you just measure how many cups pop and multiply by 35 ? If it's only 4 that would be very easy. I'm guessing it's more.
    The box says it's 12, that may be a little high though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's all about marketing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    12 cups of popcorn is not as much as some of you think it is. Those bags get pretty big in the microwave, and when you dump it out into a bowl, you might very well have 12 cups. If you've ever popped your own popcorn, you know that 2 tablespoons making 4 cups is not at all uncommon.

The label is misleading, and the only way you can get an accurate calorie count is to measure the number of cups of popped corn in the bag and then multiply that by 35. It should be about twelve cups, or 420 calories. The difference between that and the 540 calories calculated elsewhere is mainly in the unpopped kernels.

I've opened the bag and dumped it into my 6 cup measuring bowl. It doesn't make 12 cups of popcorn.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I can see where mistakes can be made. by looking at the wording quickly on the label.

But what is getting me is that reading through these post........... I had a "Princess Bride Iocane powder moment"