Slim Fast Shakes??

Options
124»

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the premade slim fast shakes because I don't like the aftertaste of them, but I do drink a strawberry equate maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a breakfast. I just like them. I'm not a huge breakfast person but i know i have to have something. I used to make myself drink a Carnation instant breakfast on the way to work. If i didn't I knew I would be gnawing on the table legs by break time. :bigsmile:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the premade slim fast shakes because I don't like the aftertaste of them, but I do drink a strawberry equate maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a breakfast. I just like them. I'm not a huge breakfast person but i know i have to have something. I used to make myself drink a Carnation instant breakfast on the way to work. If i didn't I knew I would be gnawing on the table legs by break time. :bigsmile:

I switched to those as well. I like the strawberry equate. But then again, I'm not much of a taste person, I drink my coffee black.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, so if it is something you want to do then go for it...

Be prepared though, I did the Cambridge weight plan (twice), although I lost shed loads of weight I put every single pound and then some back on.
    It's tough to do a complete meal replacement as well, you do feel quite isolated so clear your calendar because the socials go out the window :smile:

SlimFast have the highest sugar content of all of them so you may be best going for a more reputable balanced plan.

So if I said I want to lose 20lbs by this weekend, I'm going to cut off my arm .. would you say just go for it???

I am not on here to debate with someone whio is going to take what you say, exaggerate it to a ridiculous level and then try to challenge you on it. I am just trying to add something a little bit more productive to the conversation.

Bad advice is bad advice. Trying to lose 20 lbs in a month is ridiculous, encouraging it is even more ridiculous.

And you follow it with I tried something similar and gained everything back when I stopped. Recommending to people to just go for it now matter what the plan, is bad advice.

Unproductive advice is unproductive advice. People are going to do whatever they want to do - as if me writing "No that's insane" on a forum is going to stop someone making up their own mind?
    There were good and bad points to doing the plan, such as I felt healthier, my stomach problems disappeared, my skin cleared up, nails looked better than ever etc. Was it good long term - No, was it drastic - Yes...
    What you want is to chastise someone for trying something different and quite frankly I’m not that way inclined.
    So at the end of the day, opinions are like ars*holes - everyone has one

So because you think because someone is going to do whatever they want to do then you should just encourage that? No matter how unhealthy? And if someone is going to do whatever they want then why even bother posting advice?

Bad advice is bad advice. It's okay to be wrong. No one should encourage anyone to try to lose 20# in a month. Why? Because it's unrealistic. What happens when that month is up and they didn't lose 20#? Don't you think someone might get discouraged, or give up? Whereas, if you tried to offer advice that advised the OP to do this the healthy, sustainable way, advise them to reevaluate their goals and create realistic ones, in a month when the OP might have lost 5-10#, I guarantee they won't quit, they'll see they can do it and continue on.

ETA: Jwhite wasn't chastising you for being different, she was trying to make you see how encouraging an unhealthy weight loss is bad advice. You said yourself that you went on a diet and gained it all back so...

Kind of like encouraging an anorexic to lose weight. It's dangerous but Hey they are going to do what they want anyway right?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I dont get slimfast shakes, at all. They dont fill you up, they are expensive, and can cause cramping/bloating/gas.

I agree in part and disagree in part.They filled me up, and if you stick to the plan,I think each can is about $1.50, which is not bad for an entire meal. However I got the worst diarrhea if I drank more than one shake a day and it smelled exactly like the shake.

I tried using them as a protein shake after a workout, but they discontinued the high protein stuff (at least in my area) and I found EAS shakes for that purpose. 100 cal 17 grams of protein and about the same taste quality of Slimfast. That is to say chug it cold.
    I don't drink the premade slim fast shakes because I don't like the aftertaste of them
    I was able to deal with the after taste more than if I used the mix. The mix is awful!

Other than that, unless you are Morbidly obese, I can't see how losing 20 pounds in a month is healthy. And I think BeanByDesign had a good explanation.

ETA: I did Slimfast before they got all creative with the bars and stuff. it was "A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner" and if you were hungry in between have a banana.
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    look at the ingredients in slim fast they are NOOOO Good for you!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, so if it is something you want to do then go for it...

Be prepared though, I did the Cambridge weight plan (twice), although I lost shed loads of weight I put every single pound and then some back on.
    It's tough to do a complete meal replacement as well, you do feel quite isolated so clear your calendar because the socials go out the window :smile:

SlimFast have the highest sugar content of all of them so you may be best going for a more reputable balanced plan.

So if I said I want to lose 20lbs by this weekend, I'm going to cut off my arm .. would you say just go for it???

I am not on here to debate with someone whio is going to take what you say, exaggerate it to a ridiculous level and then try to challenge you on it. I am just trying to add something a little bit more productive to the conversation.

Bad advice is bad advice. Trying to lose 20 lbs in a month is ridiculous, encouraging it is even more ridiculous.

And you follow it with I tried something similar and gained everything back when I stopped. Recommending to people to just go for it now matter what the plan, is bad advice.

Unproductive advice is unproductive advice. People are going to do whatever they want to do - as if me writing "No that's insane" on a forum is going to stop someone making up their own mind?
    There were good and bad points to doing the plan, such as I felt healthier, my stomach problems disappeared, my skin cleared up, nails looked better than ever etc. Was it good long term - No, was it drastic - Yes...
    What you want is to chastise someone for trying something different and quite frankly I’m not that way inclined.
    So at the end of the day, opinions are like ars*holes - everyone has one

Ok so the problem I have with your "people are going to do whatever they want to do" comes from personal experience. I used to maintain my "ideal" weight by eating one meal, every other day. That's right, ONE freaking meal ever OTHER day. In between I kept myself full of coffee and nicotine to manage. I'm 4ft 10in, any type of weight shows up quickly on my body, I actually thought 75lbs was good!!! Not once did anyone tell me to stop, no one said that I would have future heart problems, bone/joint issues, that I was sitting myself up for an early grave. Instead everyone raved about how thin and good I looked, how they wished they looked like me. Maybe if someone had told me to stop it would have helped, maybe not, the point is that NO ONE did! I loved it when I was pregnant with my kids, I could eat!!! But once the babies were born and the breastfeeding done I was back to my old regimen.

I quit smoking a few months ago and subsequently gained some weight, but I didn't let it stop me from quitting. I'm here on My Fitness Pal because I am not happy with my body and I am so tired of starving myself literally to death. I'm ready to take charge of my life and do what is right for my body, so to hear someone actually encouraging someone to "go for it" for something so drastic really agitates me.

Thank you for sharing your story! You're awesome. :flowerforyou:

I just saw this!!! What she said! Good for you for making postive lifestyle change for your body!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Save your money
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    20lbs in a month isn't safe, but if you must try to get there, I would think going low carb for the month could let you lose 20lbs. Granted, most will be water weight, but hey, you may see the number you want to see.
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I am doing a nutritional plan that is amazing. I have lost 11.5 lbs in 6 days and 10 inches. I feel amazing. I have had many health issues including chronic pain and unbalanced hormones so I wantes to make sure what ever I did was nutrition based. I was tired all the time before I started this and by day 3 I felt like a brand new woman. It is the most amazing thing. I feel like I am getting my life back.

is this possibly the Purium Celebrity Challenge?
  • guntherams
    Options
    I did slim fast for a month around 3 years ago and I lost 2stone in a month. I was working out everyday and only drinking water and green tea. I gave up over Christmas but managed to keep the weight off. I have only gained weight over the last 6 months due to a break up and some extreme take away binging! Nobody can eat takeaway 3-4times a week and stay slim. I am back on track on slim fast again and I have more energy than I have for a while. i exericse every day, If i cant make the gym I make sure I go for a walk.
    Slim Fast isnt bad and you dont re-gain weight if you are sensible. We all know what we should and shouldn't eat but it is hard to not eat that stuff. With Slim Fast it is a strict diet that you can be in control of everyday!
    I love Slim Fast and will stick by it all the way. Good Luck With your journey and lifestyle change!
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @CryDor Losing 20lb in one month is not going to happen. It is too much too soon and it is unhealthy.

I was following SlimFasts 3-2-1 plan for 4 weeks (I stopped it Saturday just gone).. I did this to kick start my weight loss. During my time on SF, I lost 10lb, and I was very happy with it - I stuck to a 2 hour schedule of when I would eat, so I never truly felt hungry.

09.30 - Shake
    11.30 - Snack
    13.30 - Shake
    15.30 - Snack
    17.30 - Dinner (600 cals)
    19.30 - Snack

However, while I was on it, I was researching proper nutrition and I am completely for following a healthy diet and exercising. There is no quick fix for weight loss, and you should not want to do it because of this "event". You should want to change your lifestyle to be healthier and weight loss is a positive side effect of that! :smile:
    Whether you choose to kick start your lifestyle change with a SF plan like I did, or just follow healthy eating and exercise, there can be no "deadline" - it is a change that you want to carry for the rest of your life.

SF is effetive for short term weight loss, but it is not healthy and it is not sustainable, and even with it, you will not lose 20lb in a month - I followed it to a T (with cardio 3xs a week) and only lost half of your goal.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your journey :smile: