Have you seen FED UP - the documentary?

Options

Replies

• wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Good report from a reputable investigative news agency, The Fifth Estate http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2013-2014/the-secrets-of-sugar
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yep, the tin foil hat crowd has arrived smh

I actually love these threads. I look at the profile pictures and weight lost tickers of everyone from both sides. Sort of an interesting divide when you start keeping a tally.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For hundreds of years sugar was a luxury item...not a staple in the diet. Now the high sugar rates are being linked to a rise of diabetes and even Alzheimers.
    Diabetes isn't CAUSED by sugar if you didn't know. Diabetes is more genetic ALTHOUGH being overweight/obese directly affects risk of it. Even the ADA states that it's a link, but not the actual cause since increased weight can happen without consuming a lot of sugar.
    As for Alzeihemer's, there are SO MANY other things besides sugar that it's linked to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I never said sugar CAUSES diabetes. Exactly what causes Diabetes is uncertain, although it's believed that genetic susceptibility and ENVIRONMENTAL factors play a role in the development. Diabetes is an inability to control you blood glucose levels... glucose = blood sugar... hmmmmm diets high in sugar? Hmmm

While I would stop short of saying that sugar causes diabetes, sugar consumption is surely one of the factors in developing the disease. There is a demonstrated link between the consumption of high fructose corn syrup and Type II. Some obesity researchers now refer to "diabesity"--not because obesity causes diabetes but because they share a common cause. Obesity does contribute to inflammation in the body and they know that inflammation is behind a host of degenerative diseases, including Type II. But, the consumption of sugar contributes to chronically elevated blood glucose levels and it is that which contributes to inflammation in the body. Researchers are now beginning to refer to Alzheimer's Disease as "Type 3" diabetes, because, again, inflammation caused by chronically high blood glucose is part of the picture. That is why there is a link between "diabesity" and dementia.

ETA: By the way, the fasting blood glucose numbers that are "normal" now would have been considered "elevated" in the 1920s when they first began to track blood glucose figures widely.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options

I actually love these threads. I look at the profile pictures and weight lost tickers of everyone from both sides. Sort of an interesting divide when you start keeping a tally.

Actually, I don't really see how that correlates. I've lost 8lbs in the last 3 weeks. How does the ticker tell you that?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

It is hardly a conspiracy theory to look at sugar consumption and its effects on health. Why would you throw that into the discussion?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I eat no added sugar and always keep my carbohydrates to less than 150 grams per day. I have also lost 66 pounds and have not gained an ounce in four years. Make of it what you will.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This idea that we are all so educated, intelligent and able to make good decisions on our food is just not realistic.

So basically you're saying that the population is too stupid to do their own research and draw their own conclusions and that we need other people (such as this documentary) to tell us what to think and what decisions to make.

No thank you. I'll do my own research and make my own decisions.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Actually, I don't really see how that correlates. I've lost 8lbs in the last 3 weeks. How does the ticker tell you that?

Most of the people who say that sugar doesn't make you fat and that we need to be responsible for ourselves have reached our goals. Not saying visible abs means you are healthy (although my blood tests show I'm very healthy), but we aren't trying to find a demon to blame for having been obese.

I don't need the government to tell companies to make healthier foods or remove sugar. I am responsible for what I put in my body. I can eat a homemade hamburger and baked potato or I could pick up McDonalds. I do both. I find balance. When I was obese I knew that eating fast food twice a day was probably a bad idea and that eating snack cakes every night was probably the reason I was gaining weight. I didn't need the government to regulate my food, I needed to make better choices. Now I have fast food when I can make it fit my calories and snack cakes when I want a treat. Personal responsibility.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I eat no added sugar and always keep my carbohydrates to less than 150 grams per day. I have also lost 66 pounds and have not gained an ounce in four years. Make of it what you will.

Zero weight fluctuations is very hard to believe. Even at 66 years old, even if you've had your ovaries removed. Female hormones cause weight fluctuations.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    And then Time Magazine reports on the debunking of fat's affect on heart disease etc -- one of the reasons why we replaced fat calories with carbohydrate calories (primarily in simple carbs or sugars) http://time.com/2863227/ending-the-war-on-fat/ (click on video)

The paradigm is shifting in nutrition and it's going to be a slow boat to turn because the biggest companies in the world have a vested interest in the population's high sugar diet.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodinsight.org/FedUp-review
    FTA:
    "Fed Up laudably shines a light on obesity, and the stories of the children portrayed in the film are truly heart-rending—but the cause for praise essentially ends there.

Writing an entirely comprehensive critique of Fed Up would be virtually impossible, given the speed and frequency with which the audience is bombarded with misperceptions, pseudoscience, and selective quotation. But we have attempted to analyze the most egregious of them and intend to update this critique online when warranted.

Among virtually all of the central claims supporting the film’s through-line, some are shadings of the truth, some are sins of omission, and the rest are outright fabrication. How otherwise serious and thoughtful people are able to discern truth or credibility in this threadbare quilt of mendacity is a mystery.

The film’s reckless disregard for the truth undercuts its entire premise. Its misdiagnosis of the problem and obsessive focus on a single nutrient actually could cause more harm than good, in that overconsumption of any macronutrient can lead to overweight and obesity."

Just for Good measure
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    http://sweetenerstudies.com/sites/default/files/resources/files/Scientific-Review-of-Lustigs-Fat-Chance.pdf
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like all these documentaries are the same--headless shots and fat people and imaginary data on infographics. Self-proclaimed experts and pretend investigative journalism, conspiracies, etc etc. At the end of the day, no documentary is actually going to "solve obesity"; its really just money-making sideline chatter IMHO...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Most of the people who say that sugar doesn't make you fat and that we need to be responsible for ourselves have reached our goals. Not saying visible abs means you are healthy (although my blood tests show I'm very healthy), but we aren't trying to find a demon to blame for having been obese.

I don't need the government to tell companies to make healthier foods or remove sugar. I am responsible for what I put in my body. I can eat a homemade hamburger and baked potato or I could pick up McDonalds. I do both. I find balance. When I was obese I knew that eating fast food twice a day was probably a bad idea and that eating snack cakes every night was probably the reason I was gaining weight. I didn't need the government to regulate my food, I needed to make better choices. Now I have fast food when I can make it fit my calories and snack cakes when I want a treat. Personal responsibility.

No one here is denying that personal responsibility counts for a lot. Eat all the sugar you want, but let's be conscious of the fact that high sugar consumption is very deadly for a number of people and often, they are simply unaware of how much of it they are eating or how deadly it might be for them. Many obese individuals simply are not young and healthy enough to be able to launch themselves into an exercise program that will bring their blood glucose levels down (as perhaps you have) and they need some help on the dietary end of things. Avoiding added sugar and starch will help them to slim down so that they can begin some modest exercise.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Read the original Atkins Diet book. I know you won't so here is a quick summary:

In 1800, sugar consumption was like 2 pounds per year. By 1900 it was like 4 lbs/yr. The industrial revolution in the 20's is where it began to mushroom up. Today it is something stupid like 100 pounds per year.

The next page shows the diabetes rate by year...with about a 20 year lag time, the number of peeps with diabetes mushrooms at the same rate as sugar consumption.

From Wikipedia: The per capita consumption of refined sugar in the United States has varied between 27 and 46 kilograms (60 and 101 lb) in the last 40 years. In 2008, American per capita total consumption of sugar and sweeteners, exclusive of artificial sweeteners, equaled 61.9 kilograms (136 lb) per year. This consisted of 29.65 kg (65.4 lb) pounds of refined sugar and 31 kg (68.3 lb) pounds of corn-derived sweeteners per person.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    For those that say they don't need the government, good for you! But the government has absolutely had an impact on what is available to eat and what our perceptions of "healthy" is. Typical American idealism that you can live on your own island and there is no influence around you and everyone has 'equal opportunity'. Blah blah blah. But you probably work out like crazy, feel starved on your low calorie diet when you need to lose weight because you simply believe that a calorie is just energy and it doesn't come from a food source that has biochemical impact on your body -- can give satiety or not, impact a hormone, improve performance. Calorie in calorie out end of story?

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid but there are 8 year old kids with allowance money trying to decide between the blue or red Slushie and it's "fine" because the FDA approved the red dye, the government subsidized the corn that made the HFCS that's perfectly safe because it's low fat.

You can't trust the government or big corp because they are often one and the same when it comes to food politics.
  • usmcmp
    Options

No one here is denying that personal responsibility counts for a lot. Eat all the sugar you want, but let's be conscious of the fact that high sugar consumption is very deadly for a number of people and often, they are simply unaware of how much of it they are eating or how deadly it might be for them. Many obese individuals simply are not young and healthy enough to be able to launch themselves into an exercise program that will bring their blood glucose levels down (as perhaps you have) and they need some help on the dietary end of things. Avoiding added sugar and starch will help them to slim down so that they can begin some modest exercise.

So because some people aren't concerned with their health enough to do research or even listen to their doctor we all need to face more government regulation? I think instead of demonizing certain foods (like sugar) it would be better just to provide overall education. We could start with Dr. Oz cutting air time to the bogus supplements and just give people solid dietary information.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Zero weight fluctuations is very hard to believe. Even at 66 years old, even if you've had your ovaries removed. Female hormones cause weight fluctuations.

I only weigh myself once a month and it is always the same. During the last year, I have lost a few pounds, but, interestingly, I have lost an entire dress size, so I assume that I have continued to shed body fat. I lost my obsession with the scale a long time ago. As I continue to rebuild muscle that has been lost over the years, I continue to see improvement in all parameters of health. I repeat, make of it what you will.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Read the original Atkins Diet book. I know you won't so here is a quick summary:

In 1800, sugar consumption was like 2 pounds per year. By 1900 it was like 4 lbs/yr. The industrial revolution in the 20's is where it began to mushroom up. Today it is something stupid like 100 pounds per year.

The next page shows the diabetes rate by year...with about a 20 year lag time, the number of peeps with diabetes mushrooms at the same rate as sugar consumption.

From Wikipedia: The per capita consumption of refined sugar in the United States has varied between 27 and 46 kilograms (60 and 101 lb) in the last 40 years. In 2008, American per capita total consumption of sugar and sweeteners, exclusive of artificial sweeteners, equaled 61.9 kilograms (136 lb) per year. This consisted of 29.65 kg (65.4 lb) pounds of refined sugar and 31 kg (68.3 lb) pounds of corn-derived sweeteners per person.

Well, didn't the ability of diabetes diagnosis go up, along with people with diabetes living long enough to have kids who may develop diabetes?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

So because some people aren't concerned with their health enough to do research or even listen to their doctor we all need to face more government regulation? I think instead of demonizing certain foods (like sugar) it would be better just to provide overall education. We could start with Dr. Oz cutting air time to the bogus supplements and just give people solid dietary information.

That is a bit of a red herring as I don't think anyone here is arguing for more government regulation. Instead, I expect that most of us are on the same page in hoping for better health education and education in general.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options

OK, back up your argument from the Corn Refiners Association. Yeah, like they won't do anything to make you hate the movie.