Defeated!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Any tips?
    Yes: Keep up the great work. You're making progress.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Don't look at that. It isn't the miles, it is the steps! Some people have really long legs. Some don't. I only have a 21" stride. I can walk the track at 4 mph. I can't go faster than that. I've tried, but then I'm jogging!

That is why most pedometers or tracking devices ask for the length of your stride. They pretty much figure the average stride about 31" and 2000 steps in a mile. So they calculate based on that. If your stride length varies, the calculator will make adjustments. So, if you were the same weight, gender, and age as someone else, but your stride was much shorter, calories burned would be based on how many steps in a minute and then calculated on a 2000 step mile.

So, shorter people actually burn more in a linear mile than tall because it takes them more steps. I try to walk the indoor track at 4 mph, but outdoors is slower. I go slow to cross streets, or look at birds, or trip on sidewalks. So, outside is about 3 mph.

Instead, walk as fast as you can and go for time. Try to walk faster as you get in better shape and try to walk longer. In the real world, most people don't need to rush as much as we rush, we just need to last longer! :wink:
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!! Worry about what others can do or are doing. Just focus on yourself and set reasonable goals that you can obtain.
    Furthermore, you should be proud. The fact that you ran 2 miles period is an accomplishment into itself, think of those that can’t even walk a mile, let alone run 2. Make a goal of running just a little faster each time, small steps like taking 10 seconds off your total time.
    Whatever you do “Never give up, never surrender!”
  • Jla408
    Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement. It really lifted my motivation. Tomorrow is another day and another walk. Best of luck to you all in your journey, and once again thank you for the new perspective.
    Have a wonderful day.
  • addaloria
    addaloria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to judge your workouts based on your heart rate, not distance. If you are raising your heart rate to around 160 BPM, you are in the correct zone. As you become more fit, you will need to increase your speed to raise your heart heart, thus being able to go further in a shorter amount of time.
  • Jla408
    Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I hit the treadmill again today thanks to all your encouragement, went at a comfortable pace for me upping if it was getting easy without looking at speed or time. I finished my 2 miles at 33:20!!!!! I cut off 40 seconds by not paying attention to numbers!
    Thanks again!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You need to judge your workouts based on your heart rate, not distance. If you are raising your heart rate to around 160 BPM, you are in the correct zone. As you become more fit, you will need to increase your speed to raise your heart heart, thus being able to go further in a shorter amount of time.

Why exactly do you need to go that high? You burn from 50% Max. most days I don't go past 70% max which for me is 130
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You're walking, right? A 17-minute mile is a fast walking speed. You're doing great! I'm a runner and long-distance cyclist, and when I am walking, a 17-minute mile (3.5 mph) is pretty fast for me.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 220-ish and I can't run even a mile! You did great!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

I weigh 213 and it takes me 43 minutes to run 3 miles and I've been running for a little over a month. I honestly don't care how fast others do it in, I'm proud of just being able to do it.

My tip to you is just keep going. You don't have to keep up with others you only have to be sure your safe and going at a speed your body can handle. You will get faster as the weight comes off, and the longer you do it.

You can NOT compare you to others, not in running, or weight loss, or even in life
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Compare to those still on the couch. You're lapping them like they're sitting still.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Victory! You are doing it!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

DEFEATED!

Time wins, FLAWLESS VICTORY!

What is the meaning of life?
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If I did 2 miles in 34 minutes it would only mean one thing: something very scary was chasing me, lol!

Seriously, don't compare yourself to others, they aren't YOU. YOU are doing great!