What's the secret behind weight loss??

Options
123457»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So I don't think there are any secrets but I do think that we often ask and address the wrong issues.

We can say pretty darn conclusively that maintaining an energy deficit will result in weight loss in some capacity. The questions to ask should then become things like this, in my opinion:

- What habits can I form that will allow me to sustain a reasonable energy intake?
    - What food choices can I make that will increase satiety to make it easier to sustain a lower energy intake?
    - What choices can I make with my diet and exercise program to increase my overall enjoyment of this process?

And things like that -- there's many additional questions, I'm just trying to make a point with the above.

The calorie intake piece matters because it HAS to matter, but that's the easy part.
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here's a really great video, for those who are interested, in the development of the human diet. This guy is a biological anthropologist.... in other words... He's NOT trying to sell a diet book! LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0PF5R0ywp4
  • tracylbrown839
    Options
    The 5.000 year old IceMan's stomach was full of goat meat and fat.

Doesn't help your theory, does it?

What on earth does this even mean? Your response seems.... well, rather unnecessarily rude.

Inuit eat a diet primarily containing seal meat. I have not tried to claim otherwise. Most diets, all around the world are comprised of "food that was available" in the region where the people lived.

However, the idea that early paleo man existed primarily on meat isn't quite right, and their diet contained a lot of grasses, nuts, seed, and plant matter. Speak with any archeologist. They'll tell you that our "cartoon" images of caveman are not correct.

So, the idea that man was "not designed to eat grain", or that grains are bad for you, is a bunch of hooey.

It is also true that the Neanderthals didn't make it. Why did they become extinct? They were outcompeted by the homo-sapiens. From this, you sort of have to assume, or it's not a bad idea to assume that the homo-sapiens developed things that allowed them to survive while the Neanderthals did not, and some of this is going to revolve around methods of hunting and gathering food - since food is one of those items required for survival.

My point is is that you're building an elaborate theory around secondary evidence that appears to be somewhat contrived, when the only primary evidence we have is directly counter to what you say.

We have the actual stomach contents of a man who lived five thousand years ago, and it's full of protein and fat.

Now that's only one data point. But it is a very strong one.

I'm not building any sort of elaborate theory.

It was posted here that a food pyramid should be meat and fat at the bottom and that is what humans "are supposed to eat".

I am merely saying that history does not, in fact, indicate this what so ever and that "history" or biology and evolution does not point to man being primarily "meat-eaters", first and foremost. That this is a romantic interpretation of caveman and an argument put forward by some "modern diet books" but not based on science or its findings.

If one wants to construct and argument in favor of a low carb diet, people should not try to construct this based on the history of human evolution, because the "historical" argument is basically.... a bunch of bunk.

Did you watch the video by the biological anthropologist? He makes a clear and compelling argument based on.... science!

Furthermore, the instance you site of "Iceman" is also simply INCORRECT.
    What they found in Iceman's stomach was..... Cultivated wheat, game meat, and dried sloe plums!! They also happened to find 4 different types of moss - which may point to some early forms of medicine.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/iterms/qt/iceman.htm

(For the record, I do not believe that there is only one "acceptable" food pyramid. Food and cultural habits are different, all over the world, with many types of pyramids providing totally acceptable nutrition. And as such, if you look at man's teeth, man is a creature designed and capable of eating many different things in order to survive, based on location and food that is available.
    I clearly do not think that the idea "man was not designed to eat grain" holds much scientific water because grain and plant materials are present and have been found in the teeth of homo sapiens going back to the very dawn of our existence.

So, in short, I would say that if someone wants to construct some form of argument that a very low carb diet is somehow preferable or more healthy, they should do it from modern science and modern studies, utilizing the effects of that diet in the here and now. Unfortunately, because these diet styles are quite new, no long term studies of the effects of these diets, presently exist - Even modern authors of these new diet books readily admit this.)
  • tracylbrown839
    Options
    Here it is again, in case you missed it.

Iceman ate a diet "ABOUNDING IN CARBOHYDRATES".

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2011/06/icemans-last-meal

And Neanderthals, by the way, ate a wide variety of plants - wheat, barley and Legumes. They were not, as previously thought, primarily meat-eaters.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/highlight/neanderthal_diet/

(The thing that bothers me about this, is that diet books are diet books, designed to sell... diet books and they prey on the public's pre-conceived notions of early man, formed into cartoon characters like Fred Flintstone. Science, however, tells a bit of a different story.... if people cared to look, and we are uncovering and discovering new things all the time... about "real history". This paints quite a different picture of man's evolution and, in fact, his dietary habits, even going back that far in time.)

PS - This does answer the question, however, that I had simply been pondering earlier - Did Neanderthal become extinct and were they "out competed" by Homo sapiens because they did NOT develop a more varied diet and did not learn to process grain or cook, while the Homo sapiens did. The answer is - No.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Q4fhS.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    377d7f7fbf7fc6819bddc8f78c7667f4-baby-bird-that-taco.gif
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    377d7f7fbf7fc6819bddc8f78c7667f4-baby-bird-that-taco.gif

Bahahahahaha!!!
  • tracylbrown839
    Options
    Here it is again, in case you missed it.

Iceman ate a diet "ABOUNDING IN CARBOHYDRATES".

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2011/06/icemans-last-meal

And Neanderthals, by the way, ate a wide variety of plants - wheat, barley and Legumes. They were not, as previously thought, primarily meat-eaters.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/highlight/neanderthal_diet/

(The thing that bothers me about this, is that diet books are diet books, designed to sell... diet books and they prey on the public's pre-conceived notions of early man, formed into cartoon characters like Fred Flintstone. Science, however, tells a bit of a different story.... if people cared to look, and we are uncovering and discovering new things all the time... about "real history". This paints quite a different picture of man's evolution and, in fact, his dietary habits, even going back that far in time.)

PS - This does answer the question, however, that I had simply been pondering earlier - Did Neanderthal become extinct and were they "out competed" by Homo sapiens because they did NOT develop a more varied diet and did not learn to process grain or cook, while the Homo sapiens did. The answer is - No.

Well, I will get you high marks for trying.

The finding of meat and fat in the ice man's stomach was a recent finding. They went back and did a re-autopsy on the body. I believe this came out one or two years ago. So if you google Iceman and goat meat, or something along similar lines, you should come up with the most recent scientific information.

So far, you have sighted no sources, or valid references. I have many, and good ones, too. Here is another
    http://www.livescience.com/28608-otzi-iceman-had-bad-teeth.html

There's no "high marks for trying". Iceman ate grain. And someone's last meal, by the way, is not indication of total diet, by any stretch of the imagination.

So, I don't know what sources you are referring to.... But mine, like recent work by the Smithsonian, are pretty good.
    Iceman was an agriculturalist, a farmer, and ate a carbohydrate rich diet.

PS this last finding was released April 9th, 2013. That's fairly up to date, I would say.
    Why are your posts to me so arrogant?
  • tracylbrown839
    Options
    I see you are trying to set me up as a personal attacker so you can complain to the moderators.

Can't we be adults here?

So you're saying that the Iceman ate grain for his entire life, and then on the day that he died decided to gorge on goat meat?

Hmmm.

I am sure a lot of academics have made their reputation on saying that pre-historic man ate grains and berries and the like, so the hard evidence in the ice man's stomach is a very bitter pill to swallow.

Maybe a bitter one for you to swallow as well.

Just remember, it's all about love.

Steve, this is from the museum itself! You talk about bitter pills to swallow or being an adult. For goodness sakes, the museum is up to date. They list the content of iceman' stomach as containing vegetables and grain. Read it for yourself.
    http://www.iceman.it/en/node/261
    In my world, reliable sources of information and science and papers are adult. So far, you have listed none, zero, Bubkiss.

You are not any credible source on iceman and there is zero credible evidence that you point to. Just statements that are not backed up by anything. So, I'm done here. I don't know who peoples your world, but mine is filled with adults, Rhode scholars in history, librarians, Mensa members, physicians and business leaders. They partake in meaningful conversation about wide ranging matters of genuine investigation. I suggest you do some. You might learn something. :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Accuracy is the 2nd part of that secret. Are you weighing all solids? Measuring all liquids? Accurately calculating exercise calories if you eat them back? Actually logging EVERYTHING you put in your mouth? Preparing your own food so you know exactly what you're eating?

It isn't just logging everything you're putting in your mouth either. It's also the fact that when you get a calculated TDEE on MFP it is actually just an estimate of your TDEE it cannot truly know your TDEE. The 1lb is a guide but it's not a guarantee ever unfortunately.

Patience is key.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    counting calories ... n weighing/measuring your food n getting a heart rate monitor to show how many calories you burned while exercising.