Running/Workout Music

Options
I've recently started a C25K running program. Normally I run with a friend but yesterday she had to cancel to deal with a family member in the hospital. I loaded some music on my phone and went for my run. I only have about 18 songs on this playlist and since I'm going to start going to the gym for some other workouts I don't want to keep listening to the same short playlist over and over. I know I could listen to a Pandora workout station but when I'm running it's hard to thumbs down a song I don't like with my phone strapped to my arm.

So what songs are on your workout playlist? I've got quite an eclectic mix in my playlist right now. I've got everything from Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones to Pump it Up by Danzel (it's kind of techno-y). My favorites in my list include: Believe by Yellowcard, Paralyzer by Finger Eleven, Voodoo Child by Rogue Traders and Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (it almost seems obligatory to include that in my list). Anything with a nice upbeat tempo. I personally don't really like country but I imagine (hope) other people will find this thread useful also.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness. My running playlist is really eclectic, as well and I have 136 songs in it. I have everything from 50s music (Runaround Sue, Splish Splash, The Hippy Hippy Shake) to 80s (Duran Duran, Oingo Boingo, Adam Ant, Huey Lewis and the News, OMD, The Cars, B-52s) to 90s/2000s (Smash Mouth, Barenaked Ladies, The Offspring, Black Eyed Peas) to current artists like Metric, Train, Phoenix, Maroon 5, Two Door Cinema Club and Muse.

Some of the songs that really get me moving are Pump It - Black Eyed Peas, Careless Memory & Wild Boys - Duran Duran, I Can Talk - Two Door Cinema Club, Pretty Fly for a White Guy - The Offspring and Drive By - Train.

I hope that helps give you some ideas.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Billie Jean - MJ
    Call Me Maybe - Carly Rey Jepsen
    Eye of the Tiger
    Girlfriend - Avril
    Hey Ya - Outcast
    If you're gonna play in Texas - Alabama
    Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
    Lose Yourself - Eminem
    Love Drunk - Boys like girls
    Machinehead - Bush
    Mr. Brightside - the Killers
    Roxanne - Fall out boy
    What the Hell - Avril

^ just some ideas

I don't like the same genre over and over and I like funky songs - usually I look up songs that have X beats per minute - to encourage my speed goal. There is a site that will give you all the details on a songs BPM if you google it!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    jog.fm <<< had to go find it :smile:
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Arctic Monkeys, The Neighborhood, Beyonce, anything Hip Hop :laugh:
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of Shinedown and have a ton of their songs on my playlist, my "go to" song is Adrenaline. I also love:
    Five Finger Death Punch
    Volbeat
    Stone Sour
    Rob Zombie is the bomb to run to!
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Nonpoint "Breaking skin"
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Spotify - 80's Smash Hits and 90's one hit wonders...

I have this weird thing about running music. I do a lot better with 'oh I haven't heard this song in a long time' than songs I know backwards and forwards (and that there's another 2:12 left in it....)
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I'm going to check those out over the weekend and try them out.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Kitty
    OTEP
    Butcher Babies
    SlipKnot
    Korn
    Metallica
    The harder the better!
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you can also check out (wish i knew the pages off hand, sorry) searches on Beats Per Minute. I uses this type of thing to help with my stride/timing. mainly it helps choose songs according to the bpm so that it will help the brain with your cadance. I know with running (and driving) when certain songs come on I speed up and would burn out before the end of the run so this helped restrain that :)

good luck!!
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness. My running playlist is really eclectic, as well and I have 136 songs in it. I have everything from 50s music (Runaround Sue, Splish Splash, The Hippy Hippy Shake) to 80s (Duran Duran, Oingo Boingo, Adam Ant, Huey Lewis and the News, OMD, The Cars, B-52s) to 90s/2000s (Smash Mouth, Barenaked Ladies, The Offspring, Black Eyed Peas) to current artists like Metric, Train, Phoenix, Maroon 5, Two Door Cinema Club and Muse.

Some of the songs that really get me moving are Pump It - Black Eyed Peas, Careless Memory & Wild Boys - Duran Duran, I Can Talk - Two Door Cinema Club, Pretty Fly for a White Guy - The Offspring and Drive By - Train.

I hope that helps give you some ideas.

Love it!

Eminem, Prodigy, Skrillex, Chemical Bros, Fatboy slim, Gorillaz, *****cat dolls, Florence and the machine, Kanye, Pearl Jam, Woodkid!!!-These guys!
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've got a blend of southern gospel, country, folk, bluegrass, pop on my MP3. Here are some of them:

Branded, Ghost Train Four-Oh-Ten, Little Things - Marty Stuart [country]
    Stompa & What I Wouldn't Do - Serena Ryder [folk]
    Stripes, Pray to Jesus, Crazy Women - Brandy Clark [new country]
    Girls Like That, Homesick - Travis Tritt
    Six More Miles - Don Rigsby [bluegrass]

I don't run at 10 mph so I don't need overly fast music.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    J. Roddy Walston
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Don't Stop Me Now by Queen is my FAVOURITE running song.

Honourable Mention goes out to:
    The Distance - Cake
    Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin' Daddies
    Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I like to run to either Carcass, Comeback Kid or Fu Manchu.. but that's not for everyone.

In the gym is either death metal or straight-edge metal like Earth Crisis, Slayer, Behemoth, Comeback Kid, Freya, and sometimes the Melvins - but usually on a DL day. Again... not for everyone.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    When I listen to my iPod, is mostly classic rock (60's to today). Otherwise, I just listen to the voices in my head.
  • Apothys28
    Apothys28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine consists of only EDM tracks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jog.fm <<< had to go find it :smile:

This^

You can plug in your running or walking speed and gets songs for that pace. Helps me stay on track.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OK this will out me as a major dork, but I actually listen to podcasts on long runs. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, Radiolab, etc. It's like having a very interesting or funny running partner there talking to you the whole time. Love it!
  • shelby33ky
    shelby33ky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Runners World has a list, Top 100 Running Songs. My hubby downloaded all 100 to my iPod for my birthday. I love best out of the group-Eye of the Tiger. It was my middle school anthem and still makes me feel charged up!
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    OK this will out me as a major dork, but I actually listen to podcasts on long runs. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, Radiolab, etc. It's like having a very interesting or funny running partner there talking to you the whole time. Love it!

ha ha I've been getting bored with music while running and was thinking of doing this! I think I'll try it now :happy: Plus my husband hates when I have NPR on in the house, so I might as well listen while I run.