Motivation-That (to some) dreaded word

Options
aevonvett
aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
Two years ago I was able to lose about 40 lbs with MFP. I considered it a huge accomplishment and I still do. It changed my life. But as the years wore on and my bf's cooking got more irresistible I have found that I am up almost 20lbs. I am trying not to be discouraged. I love my life and where I am at in it. But after a few failed attempts at getting back on the horse as it were I find that I just don't have the motivation that I used to. I'm hoping you lovely supporting people can help.

The million dollar question, what keeps you motivated?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I find that just coming to MFP keeps me going. There were a few times in the last few years that I just did not have it in me to log my foods or exercise.

Despite that, I continued to come onto the forums at least once a day - regardless of how I was feeling. This way, when I was ready to get back on track...it was easy.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The thing that keeps me motivated is just the thought that I'm not getting any younger! I have degenerative disc disease, it's going to get worse over time. I'm not 30 yet and already had one back surgery. My mom is in her 50's and has the same condition, and just found out her spine is collapsing and she's not even obese like me. I'm terrified. I want to be able to do all these things that I'm not allowed to do at my weight, like sky diving for example. Don't get me wrong, I love myself. I love myself fat and I'll love myself fit. But since I love myself, I'm trying to do what I believe is best for me.

I don't want to be in a wheelchair at 60 looking back at the last few decades and thinking "I should've done that while I was able to"

The time is now.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I want to be "not-fat" more than I want to be fat and I am determined to do whatever it takes to be "not-fat."

The benefits of being fat include eating indulgently and experiencing the instant gratification of that extra helping of lasagna. OTOH, the benefits of consistently working towards "not-fat" are becoming more healthy, more fit, looking better, having adventures that were impossible for the fat-me, and experiencing a deeper satisfaction with the way I live my life. I don't need to "love" myself, but I do need to respect myself. And respect is earned.

It is a personal choice - to take the more challenging path to a better life or stay on the easy road.
  • kennethcarney
    kennethcarney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Artionis nailed it. It comes down to being able to respect yourself.
  • fire7ice
    Options
    The things that keep me motivated to lose weight are:
    - The main reason is that I need to lose weight for health reasons - to ease the pressure on my lower back/knee and ankle.
    - Allowing myself an Indulgence now and again to keep me motivated to continue eating healthy most of the time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, some days i'm more fired up than others. but most days i'm not looking forward to jumping in the pool, or hitting the road for a seemingly endless run or bike ride.

it's my dedication to my training plan that really keeps me going. but i guess if i really had to be honest, i'm motivated to do well on race day.
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be a "fat" mom. I want my son to have a mom he is proud of and can look up to. He's only 7 months now but they grow so fast! It'd be hard to encourage him to live a healthy lifestyle while I sit on my fat *kitten* eating Oreo's all day..
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think motivation is something that we must practice everyday. We each have to find something that does it for us. For me it's my Support Group online and remembering what I want more. I love being fit and I want to reach all my goals more than I want that extra piece of cake. Is it always easy? Hell no! Sometimes I really gotta fight with my mind and remember what I am doing this for. But I feel SO good when I succeed.

Find your "why" and then find some support :) You will see it makes a big difference!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I threw away all my fat clothes and bought better fitting clothes and I just can't afford to do that again in reverse!!!

I am pretty sure, at my age, that I don't want to go through this again. Maintenance is tough enough.

I want to look decent and be as healthy as I possibly can. That's my motivation.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a few things that keep me motivated.

- My kids are young and active and it kills me that I'm limited on how much I can play with them before I get winded. I want to set a good example of eating right, and excising.
    - I want to look good for my Fiance.
    - I remember how my sex drive started to go away the fatter I got. It was near dead when I was at my peak weight. Now that I've lost some it has been coming back.
    - MFP is a huge motivation for me. Seeing everyone else work their *kitten* off on MFP and making progress really helps me out. Plus I feel I have friends on here that care about me losing weight and they really help me out.
    - Also remembering that it's a lifestyle change that i'm making really helps me out. It's not some temp diet or anything crazy. It's a lifestyle that my whole family is changing to and I know it's great for everyone.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Wait... I thought "cardio" was the dreaded word.
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be a "fat" mom. I want my son to have a mom he is proud of and can look up to. He's only 7 months now but they grow so fast! It'd be hard to encourage him to live a healthy lifestyle while I sit on my fat *kitten* eating Oreo's all day..

My mom told me that was one of her biggest regrets, not setting a good example for me, so I really commend you for this
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wait... I thought "cardio" was the dreaded word.

Hahaha I swear if I could lift all day and get the same results I would
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

My mom told me that was one of her biggest regrets, not setting a good example for me, so I really commend you for this

This is how I feel with my kids. I can tell them to eat better and all but it means nothing if they see me eating like crap all the time. It's a huge motivator.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    To be blunt: you dont. The feeling of motivation comes and goes. What you need is determination. You need to make the choice to do it whether you feel motivated or not.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My motivation to start remains my motivation to succeed. That is to not have to take two blood pressure pills each day for the remainder of my life.

I go flush with disgust every time the phone alarm goes off reminding me to "take a pill".

I have high hopes a healthy diet and enough weight loss to get squarely into the "fit zone" will be sufficient to control my blood pressure without medicinal help.

So far, so good.

ENJOY
  • PDReader
    PDReader Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my Facebook. It will give you some idea of the past five years I've had.

"I cannot even TELL you how NICE it is to have two weeks put together that DON'T FEEL LIKE CRAP.

For once, for once, for ONCE:

1.) Nobody's DYING.

2.) Nobody's in the hospital.

3.) Nobody needs a ride to visit somebody in the hospital.

4.) I don't need a colonoscopy or some damned thing. I'm not in the ER with bladder spasms.

5.) I'm actually losing some weight and my feet haven't gotten injured again. (Yet.)

6.) I got enough sleep. I actually feel better.

7.) I had time to make some headway on this MESS that is my living space.

8.) I am not stuck behind the computer doing reams of paperwork for somebody who needs Medicaid, or stuck at Kinko's copying reams of documentation for somebody who needs Medicaid, or stuck at the post office mailing reams of documentation for somebody who needs Medicaid. (Soon, but at least now I have a break.) No handicapped people need moving into a new residence this week.

9.) I ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING NICE. Even if it's just sit at a sidewalk cafe and work on some writing.

This week it really hits me that life has been so, so, so, so hard, for so, so, so, so long, that just simple little things like it being NORMAL feel like absolute heaven.

And it also hits me that overall, things really have to change. You cannot live like I've had to live the past five years and remain happy. You cannot live like I've had to live the past five years and remain HEALTHY. At some point, the stress and the wear and tear are just gonna kill you.

Can the universe just please sustain this period of things being not so bad all the time, please??

And people who are having it normal, please look at the list above one more time. Do you have any clue how much I've envied you over the last five years??"

This past year, my award-winning author husband died of a brain tumor, and I've been dealing with being POA for a couple of sick elderly handicapped relatives.

There really, really are times when life is just, just too much. A couple of times in there I just didn't do anything because I literally dragged home from work and *could not* get up out of the chair.

Then, of course, I gained weight. I've only lost about 11 lbs or so right now, but it's a-m-a-z-i-n-g how much better I feel. Motivation=I want to feel physically better, not crappy like this past year.

P.S., losing weight doesn't mean you can never, never, never have lasagna. Just use the calorie tool to make sure you don't eat too much more than maybe once a week, or to adjust your calorie intake elsewhere in the day so you can have the goodie and not be over your count. Life eating only carrots is pretty crappy and blah.
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These are my motivations: I like seeing my abs and i want to be able to jump higher. Both of these require me to be lighter and more fit.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Even though I only lost less than 30 lbs. the difference for me has been how much better I feel. More energy, less aching joints, etc. So the motivation for me (at 56) is to enjoy life that much more simply by being healthy. Excess weight really does impact our bodies more than we realize. Good luck to you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Health.
    Also bit boring being overweight, especiallu when I cna and always have been able to do soemthing about it.
    I really only intend doing this once though becayse its so boring, hence im focused on what needs doing and it needs to be done properly.

Im glad im doing it and ive persuaded myself to.