Ladies who LIFT & RUN....

Options

Replies

• teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a re-introduced newbie to running and weights. Before my injury and pregancy I did both, but never long distances. Now, I am getting into running, working on week 4 C25K and my NROLFW just arrived yesterday so I plan to use than instead of my other book I was getting weight exercises from.
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Me! I have a toddler and an infant so its a bit hard to fit things in right now but I'm trying to make more of an effort as I still have 25lbs of baby weight to lose and it hasn't budged since 2 weeks after my youngest was born. I was lifting 2-3x a week and running 5k 3 times a week and I'd like to consistently get back to that instead of the randomness I'm doing now.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi!

I'm sorta new... ran a lot back in the 'day' as I was an amateur boxer in Mexico. Moved back home and kept active but nothing much. Until 3 years ago when I ran my first Spartan race. I got hooked on obstacle racing so started to hit the trails and lift. Joined a capoeira school to mix in some even better calisthenics :-) Didn't fully commit until this year. Literally. I run 1-2x a week (even in the winter - unless it gets to -10 and lower). I lift 2x a week and hubby and I practice capoeira 1 -2x a week.
    Now we're planning on running the trifecta Spartan next year which equals to 1 5K, 1 12K and 1 21K in the same season. Can't wait. So it's serious this time around :-)

I certainly do not starve myself (love eating way too much!) but sometimes struggle with macros.

Nice to see so many ladies running and lifting :flowerforyou:
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am a "runner" in that I attempt to run and I regularly complete 5K's with the goal of 10K's and maybe a half.

I currently lift in a Body Pump class but I wouldn't consider it powerlifting, however, soon I do want to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

I would love to have more Running/Lifting friends to get advice. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my 2nd half marathon on Nov 8, so lifting has taken a backseat, but when I'm not in race training session, I run 2-3 times per week (about 2-3 miles each time) and lift heavy 3 times per week. I enjoy StrongLifts 5x5 and have a power rack at home so I don't give myself a chance to make excuses.

While I'm excited about my race next month, I can't wait to get back under the bar more regularly!

Anyone can friend me, as long as you are a gal who eats plenty of food along with her running/lifting. :flowerforyou:
  • epf82061
    Options
    Hi everyone, I too am lifting (Stronglifts) and running (C25K). I'm taking it slow on both because I'm still new. I would love to jave lifting friends who are also looking to lose fat.
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Me! I am training for a half marathon atm, and running will always be my true love but I'm also a weight-training noob, and am already loving the results! Add me
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner (in the past and now again) and wanna-be lifter. I am never sure if I'm balancing the two right or how best to work them in together, and since I'm more comfortable with running sacrifice some of the focus that lifting probably demands, so I'm finding this interesting and would love to hear more specifics about what others do, what strength training programs you are following, etc.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    These are my people!

I've been jogging and have an 8 mile race coming up. I just joined a gym 2 days ago and am starting to set up a lifting program, too. I would love to connect with ladies trying to find a similar balance. Feel free to add me!
  • MoMoXF2014
    Options
    Me! I've been lifting since February and I just started training for a half marathon.
  • metrognome686
    metrognome686 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstacle with tackling both things is nutrition! I'm going my first half marathon in 7 days (ahh!!) and I love to lift. It's hard to balance the high protein with enough carbs to run with. Add me and we can all support each other!
  • JMCD86
    JMCD86 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love to lift, but no so much of a fan of running, but I try to do it anyway, maybe I need people who are motivated runners on my friends list. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love to lift and run, although I put more of my effort to lifting. Running outside is really the only cardio that I can tolerate, so generally I run to the gym, lift, then run home (it's 2mi total, so not that much). On days that I don't lift I might go for a run, although I only do 3-4 miles.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I want to join the club too! Once I get to my goal weight I want to begin training for my first marathon, I lift 4 days a week currently and usually run as a warm up or sometimes on a cardio day. I used to be a sprinter on my track team and I plan to prove to myself that I can run a half and full marathon if I put my mind to it :) Feel free to add me
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Am also a lady who lifts and runs. I run about 3 times a week usually doing about a 5k every time but am trying to graduate into longer runs.
    I also lift fairly heavy a couple times a week too. My overall goal is to lose weight. I have lost 54lbs already with another 30 or so to go.

Add me as a friend! Could use more lady friends who are in a similar boat.
  • Hopefullysane
    Hopefullysane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... awesome thread.

I'm also fairly new. I started lifting heavyish about a year ago and then started running for cardio and then fell in love with triathlons. Triathlons took a ridiculous amount of training so eased off on the weights (still lifted, just lighter) during tri season which ended in August. Since then have returned to focusing on lifting. On non-lifting days I do HIIT on the treadmill for cardio with one longer steady pace run on Saturday.

I like the idea of training seasons... for part of the year training and eating for triathlons and for part of the year training and eating for lifting. I can't do both at once as they seem to require different nutritional needs AND Id rather fully concentrate on one at a time so I can do awesome at each.

• amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IsaCaliBel wrote: »
    Yes, that's another thing... I'm still trying to lose weight. However the scale is not my highest priority right now, it hasn't budged in months but I still lost inches. Until today that is, almost lost a full pound, haha

I average 1600-1800 calories a day. I was doing IIFYM but found I was becoming really obsessive with numbers, lol. Decided to go back to MFP method since I did so well that way. I haven't really lost energy on my deficit yet, if I do I will probably eat closer to maintenance since I'm working out so much. Still playing with those numbers.

73529108.png

Feel free to add me. I enjoy lifting and I try to run at least 2-3 times per week. Question, when we say 'heavy lifting' what do we mean? Bench press or dead lift for example, what is considered 'heavy'?
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    amessam8 wrote: »
    IsaCaliBel wrote: »
    Yes, that's another thing... I'm still trying to lose weight. However the scale is not my highest priority right now, it hasn't budged in months but I still lost inches. Until today that is, almost lost a full pound, haha

I average 1600-1800 calories a day. I was doing IIFYM but found I was becoming really obsessive with numbers, lol. Decided to go back to MFP method since I did so well that way. I haven't really lost energy on my deficit yet, if I do I will probably eat closer to maintenance since I'm working out so much. Still playing with those numbers.

73529108.png

Feel free to add me. I enjoy lifting and I try to run at least 2-3 times per week. Question, when we say 'heavy lifting' what do we mean? Bench press or dead lift for example, what is considered 'heavy'?

"Heavy" means whatever is challenging for you.
    Everyone has different strength and what might be heavy for one is not for another. Typically anything under 10-12 reps, the last few reps should be pretty hard to finish. This applies to any lifting exercise (squats, bench, deads, etc). That's how I measure my heavy lifting, I usually do 8-10 reps. I have tried the Strong Lifts program where you aim for 5 reps.
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

"Heavy" means whatever is challenging for you.
    Everyone has different strength and what might be heavy for one is not for another. Typically anything under 10-12 reps, the last few reps should be pretty hard to finish. This applies to any lifting exercise (squats, bench, deads, etc). That's how I measure my heavy lifting, I usually do 8-10 reps. I have tried the Strong Lifts program where you aim for 5 reps.
    [/quote]

Ok, thanks for that. I typically try to do 3-4 sets with increasing weights each set and lower reps with increasing weight.

• IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of strength and finishing a heavy set! I have lightened up my load though since I'm running more, getting ready for my first 10k run in a couple weeks. I'm starting to learn how to better balance this run/lift life. Seems like it really depends on your current goals. After my 10k I'll return to lifting heavier and running a bit less.