My trainer wants me to lose 79lbs in a year

Options
He must be crazy. Ugh I know it's possible but honestly I haven't been even under 200lbs since middle school. I'm terrified that I won't make it, and worse that I'll make it and still hate the way I look.
So far I'm keeping my goal at 30 lbs by Christmas. Cardio 6 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. Also, low carb high protein focused.

Boy I don't want to fail... :frown:

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dropped 32 pounds in 12 weeks and I wasn't even that heavy. And I did it with reasonable diet and exercise.
  • spah33
    spah33 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have lost 54lbs 5 months! I have done it with exercise and changing my lifestyle to a low carb life!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It is only a fail if you quit. Do what you can do. Best of luck!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    He must be crazy. Ugh I know it's possible but honestly I haven't been even under 200lbs since middle school. I'm terrified that I won't make it, and worse that I'll make it and still hate the way I look.
    So far I'm keeping my goal at 30 lbs by Christmas. Cardio 6 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. Also, low carb high protein focused.

I don't understand your logic. You think that 79 pounds in a year is too much, but 30 pounds till Christmas is ok. If you would continue with your Christmas goal for a year you would lose 120 pounds. How is that better ?
    Btw: I lost 55 pounds in 8 month by maintaining my calories deficit ( eating a normal, but healthy diet ) and walking 30-45 minutes each day.
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It can be done if you are willing to put in the work. Log every bite, every day! Keep to your workout schedule. Tell yourself you can do it (nothing hampers progress more than thinking you can't do something). With that said...

If you feel better with small goals, okay. Some do. 30 pounds in 4 months will still get you probably around the 79 pounds in a year (since progress will slow down the more you lose).

I do better looking at the end with a soft monthly goal. And a little reward every 15 pounds. But, if I write down that my Goal is only 30 pounds, then I will be more like to take a break when I hit it! I want to keep myself going and motivated.

Finally, are you afraid of finding a new you? You need to deal with that, too.

Good luck!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It took me about 1 1/2 years to drop my 60 lbs. It was slower but I also enjoyed it more, less stress and was able to enjoy life events too. Most importantly, it's actually staying off, no weight gains!

30 by Christmas seem like a lot, to me anyway.

73529108.png
  • axw7454
    Options
    I don't understand your logic. You think that 79 pounds in a year is too much, but 30 pounds till Christmas is ok. If you would continue with your Christmas goal for a year you would lose 120 pounds. How is that better ?
    Btw: I lost 55 pounds in 8 month by maintaining my calories deficit ( eating a normal, but healthy diet ) and walking 30-45 minutes each day.

Oh I guess I should have explained I started in the summer, mid July I believe. I'm only 6 lbs down so far but I wasn't paying attention to diet so now I'm really trying to crack the whip on my dieting habits
  • Shirotora88
    Options
    You can do it but take it one day at a time and you will be fine..

Best of luck

Jen
  • WallsA123
    WallsA123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whether you can or can't... you are right! I think you are underestimating yourself. 79 lbs in a year ( 52 weeks) is only 1.5 lbs a week! That is very realistic!

You can do this! Once you see results I bet you will want it even more. I am not going to even tell you good luck, I am going to tell you to go do it!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose weight; exercise to be fit!
  • andreaclip
    Options
    Hi there,
    You can definitely lose 30 pounds by Christmas, and 79 pounds in a year! It's all about your mindset; if you want to change your lifestyle to be happy and healthy for yourself and your son, you just need to decide that's what you want and go after it :)
    And you have tons of support!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice I will give you, though, is to not focus so much on the weight. You only have so much control over how much weight your body is willing to let go of at a time.

Focus on the process. Focus on healthy eating and set exercise goals. Maybe give yourself little rewards for following your plan for a certain amount of time. I set a goal to exercise 30 minutes every day and stay in my calorie goal every day for a month and I got a massage at the end.

Also, don't be afraid to eat what you enjoy. Eat healthy, nutritious foods most of the time, but work in dinners out, drinks, a piece of cake -- whatever makes you happy -- every once in a while. Don't look at this as punishment, but rather a change that will lead to feeling better and maybe enjoy shopping for clothes more. :-)
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Aim to lose 1.5 pounds a week. That'll get you there. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What is your total weight loss goal? What is your per week goal?

79 pounds in a year is definitely doable, but is it practical for you? Only you can determine that. Maybe start out aiming for a pound a week and then try for that 1-1/2 a week if you think it may be good for you. Weight loss isn't a sprint so it is best to do what you can do so that you can reap the long term benefits.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice I will give you, though, is to not focus so much on the weight. You only have so much control over how much weight your body is willing to let go of at a time.

Focus on the process. Focus on healthy eating and set exercise goals. Maybe give yourself little rewards for following your plan for a certain amount of time. I set a goal to exercise 30 minutes every day and stay in my calorie goal every day for a month and I got a massage at the end.

Also, don't be afraid to eat what you enjoy. Eat healthy, nutritious foods most of the time, but work in dinners out, drinks, a piece of cake -- whatever makes you happy -- every once in a while. Don't look at this as punishment, but rather a change that will lead to feeling better and maybe enjoy shopping for clothes more. :-)

Good advice. Look for ways to do this in a way that really fits for you and you can do long term. Enjoy all the small goals and achievements along the way.
  • axw7454
    Options
    You all are giving such great advice! I'm really over here making note of a lot of these things. Most have you have said take it a little at a time, and I do think you're right because looking at that big number is scary. I guess when you think of it a 1.5lbs a week it really doesn't sound as bad.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tou cna do it if you are focused and sustain it.

If it cares you that much then talk to your trainer and agree with him a reasonable level and set some short term targets. Gaining short term victories will increase your confidence. Its more about sustaining at the right level than dramatic losses, so go from a few weeks to a month to six weeks to 2 months etc. Focus on the short term and the long term objective will get closer.
  • axw7454
    Options

Very good advice. I might have to steal that massage idea! Or maybe even reward myself with a very small clothes shopping spree lol
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I believe in you! Should you check with your trainer about rest days? Sounds like you might only have one rest day in there.
    Good luck! I think one you get used to it, you'll find it will seem possible to lose that weight. For now, I like your 30 lb by December mini goal - it's more manageable. And you know what? If you get it off by then, you're pretty much half way there!