My trainer wants me to lose 79lbs in a year

Options

Replies

• babsfit14
    Options
    Don't dwell on the number your trainer gives you as your ultimate goal after a year. Focus on each smaller goal that you do achieve, whether it's one pound or five or ten. Then just keep moving forward. Best of luck to you!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Others have said it, and I want to stress it - don't focus on the number - focus on health. Yes, you can exercise and eat better!

But if your trainer is making it all about numbers and not about doing it safely - you may need to hit him over the backside of the head.

It's your body. You need rest days to allow for your muscles to respond. Make sure that whatever the plan is that you choose TOGETHER, that it is sustainable for the long-term. A year of 6 times a week cardio, and more hours in weight-training may be too much, too fast. (especially, if this is your first time exercising).

And diet/fitness is a life-time commitment - not something that your rush to attain, and then suddenly ask - "what now"?

if you decide to take the low-carb route, research that too. I am a low-carber - and, I will tell you that it's fantastic, but there's no cheating without consequences. If you give up gluten and grains, it's really hard to eat them without getting sick. I look at a bag of cheetos now, and know if I have it - my weightloss results will be stalled, I'll gain immediate weight, and I'll probably be sick processing the carbs and what it breaks down into.

This isn't about the trainer deciding what you should do - this is about you taking ownership for your body and what you are capable of giving to yourself to make you the best you can be, with his help. Whatever you do though, it's not about him, it's about you.

Good luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It is certainly doable you just have to stay positive and work towards your goal daily

29509743.png
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I have noticed from the posts that very obese people seem to lose weight unusually quickly at first. Then it settles into the 1-2 lbs per week.

You can do this.

And there is no fail. It is not building habits for a year, but for a lifetime.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    A year so next July? Seems doable just take it one day at a time. Don't starve yourself and keep working out. Good luck.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would say don't focus on the number - you shouldn't let the number defeat you, but you should focus on your weight when you have a sizable amount to lose. Honestly I'm always flabbergasted by people that say they've been working out and exercising for the last year or three, they've lost 15 pounds and they're still obese. If you're going to put in the effort and sacrifice, at least get some results out of it. At the end of the day, focusing on your health means getting your weight in a healthy range.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I know it doesn't look like but I went from 255 of no muscle and all fat down to 170 in about a year. Then I've been gaining and losing to try adding on some lean gains for the past 2 years or so! Anything is possible trust me!!!!
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was 292, and now I'm at 200 about a year + couple months later.

It can be done! But you lose at a higher rate the bigger you are. I was able to drop 8-9 lbs a month easy in the beginning, but it's slower going now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would say don't focus on the number - you shouldn't let the number defeat you, but you should focus on your weight when you have a sizable amount to lose. Honestly I'm always flabbergasted by people that say they've been working out and exercising for the last year or three, they've lost 15 pounds and they're still obese. If you're going to put in the effort and sacrifice, at least get some results out of it. At the end of the day, focusing on your health means getting your weight in a healthy range.
    But the problem with focusing on the number is you can do everything right and not drop the pounds expected. And then you get disappointed and give up. If you focus on the process, the weight will come off.

Of course, track calories, exercise, drop calories as you drop pounds. But if you set a goal to lose 10 pounds in a month and only lose 5, you're going to be upset. If you set a goal to eat right and exercise and you lose 5, you'll be thrilled.
  • kalkath
    Options
    Well Said
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Looking at it from a bit of a different perspective, would you be depressed if you lost 75 lbs in a year? 50lbs? The point is to get healthy and while 79lbs is very doable, it would be a huge success to lose 50lbs in a year and be happier and healthier! Just do your best, give it everything you have and if at the end you can say to yourself "I did everything I could!" be happy with whatever the number is! Good luck!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    41 lbs in 4 months here.

Ultimately, once you have control of your food intake, the rest is a breeze.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    But the problem with focusing on the number is you can do everything right and not drop the pounds expected. And then you get disappointed and give up. If you focus on the process, the weight will come off.

Of course, track calories, exercise, drop calories as you drop pounds. But if you set a goal to lose 10 pounds in a month and only lose 5, you're going to be upset. If you set a goal to eat right and exercise and you lose 5, you'll be thrilled.

I disagree. If I'm focused on the process and I ignore changes in my weight (or lack thereof), I may sit spinning my wheels for months at a time, because I needed to make a change to my process (as evidenced by my lack of weight loss) but I didn't. What you log and what you burn are only part of the equation - the other half is your results.

You should focus on the numbers if you want to ensure results, but you need to do so in a rational manner and not get all emotional about it when you don't lose what you expected to lose. If I go for a month with no weight loss, that's not a reason to get all emo and quit - that means I need to adjust my process by dropping my calories and/or adjusting my exercise routine. Honestly if you're going to get emotional and quit because you lost 5 pounds instead of 10 in a month, I'd wager you're going to get emotional and quit regardless of what you focus on.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm on track to lose 75 lbs this year. I never thought I'd get down below 150, but I'm well on my way to the 120s.

If the big number scares you or doesn't motivate you, set goals that actually seem doable. When I logged onto MFP 10 months ago to start the journey this time around, I picked a pie in the sky number, never thinking I'd actually make it, let alone make it in a year. I didn't let it discourage me, and instead focused on meeting my daily and weekly goals - making sure I logged every day, making sure I exercised x times a week. So long as I was doing what I was supposed to, I didn't care how much weight I lost. It just happened.

Check out this thread for everything you need to know to be sucessful here at MFP. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I disagree. If I'm focused on the process and I ignore changes in my weight (or lack thereof), I may sit spinning my wheels for months at a time, because I needed to make a change to my process (as evidenced by my lack of weight loss) but I didn't. What you log and what you burn are only part of the equation - the other half is your results.

You should focus on the numbers if you want to ensure results, but you need to do so in a rational manner and not get all emotional about it when you don't lose what you expected to lose. If I go for a month with no weight loss, that's not a reason to get all emo and quit - that means I need to adjust my process by dropping my calories and/or adjusting my exercise routine. Honestly if you're going to get emotional and quit because you lost 5 pounds instead of 10 in a month, I'd wager you're going to get emotional and quit regardless of what you focus on.
    Well, the advice I gave worked for me and the OP is overwhelmed by the numbers.

I dropped 32 pounds in 12 weeks and kept it off right up until my thyroid went haywire. Now I can't lose no matter what I do, but I continue exercising and eating right, regardless of the scale and haven't given up.

Telling someone who's already overwhelmed by a number that she has to focus on that number isn't helpful.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I lost 80lbs in 10 months. When you're really overweight, the weight flies off.

Your only problem is that you're not training smart. You're working out 7 days a week with no rest days. What's most likely going to happen is you'll burn yourself out either mentally or physically (possibly both) and quit.

I lost that weight only working out 3x a week, but I did make sure to consistently eat in a calorie deficit. Like I said.. when you're that overweight, the weight flies off. No need to work out 7 days a week. Hell if I had to work out 7 days a week I would've quit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I lost 78lb in 7 months... I was 210lb when I started. You think it's hard now? I'd never NEVER exercised in my life & NEVER eaten less than I burnt unless I was sick. I still workout daily (almost 1000 days now) and still eat less than I burn.

Still think that it is hard? Be overwhelmed..... cause you were not to begin with.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs in under 10 months... you got this ****
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on track to lose 75 lbs this year. I never thought I'd get down below 150, but I'm well on my way to the 120s.

If the big number scares you or doesn't motivate you, set goals that actually seem doable. When I logged onto MFP 10 months ago to start the journey this time around, I picked a pie in the sky number, never thinking I'd actually make it, let alone make it in a year. I didn't let it discourage me, and instead focused on meeting my daily and weekly goals - making sure I logged every day, making sure I exercised x times a week. So long as I was doing what I was supposed to, I didn't care how much weight I lost. It just happened.

Check out this thread for everything you need to know to be sucessful here at MFP. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Thank you for the link and the advice!
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Well, the advice I gave worked for me and the OP is overwhelmed by the numbers.

I dropped 32 pounds in 12 weeks and kept it off right up until my thyroid went haywire. Now I can't lose no matter what I do, but I continue exercising and eating right, regardless of the scale and haven't given up.

Telling someone who's already overwhelmed by a number that she has to focus on that number isn't helpful.
    I honestly see where both of you are coming from... on the one hand that number is awfully overwhelming and focusing on it can be difficult, but on the other hand if I don't focus on it and just feel healthier if I don't actually lose anything at the end of the day I'm still technically morbidly obese(even though I don't look it -_-) according to bmi and in a danger zone.

i might just need to find my happy medium on this one.