Grocery Bill

Options

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Only two of us, but we live in so-cal and our food is about $175 a week, including 1x restaurant meal per week. If we buy food-related items like we just bought new silverware and worked that in to our budget last week.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    2 adults (me and fiance)
    Northern VA
    Shop at Wegmans
    We spend $125 per week, so $500-$625 depending on whether the month has 4 or 5 Fridays lol

I make dinner at home 5-6 nights per week and we eat leftovers for lunch and misc stuff for dinner Friday before we go shopping.
    We go out to eat once or twice per month & that's not included here.
    Beer & wine is also not included here ($20/month roughly)
    Or household products ($45/month)
    Oh and neither is the dog's food/treats ($100 every other month).

In the last year we cut it down from $130 to $125 per week.. not much each week, but that's $260 for the year...
  • PrincessRina112
    PrincessRina112 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I average $400 a month for myself and my 5 year old daughter
    In Las Vegas
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I spend 20 bucks a day on food, sometimes only 10. So I'm going to estimate that I spend between 330-400 a month on food for myself in NYC

Same here only I am in Norcal. $370 is my max per month. I give myself a budget of $20 per day.

Right. But I am not frugal. I go to the luxury/organic bodega on my block instead of the big grocery stores 20 blocks away because I'm lazy. It costs more.

I am in no way frugal either. I buy all organic and shop at a local version of Whole Foods. I also don't include any house hold items in that budget. I budget the $620 per month and just happen to spend under. But I tend to buy staples rather than prepared food items. I make all of my meals from scratch.
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are five of us (me, hubby, and three boys) and we spend about $800 a month including toiletries/paper products and our much needed craft beer. We live in Charlotte, NC.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Okay...as a single person I see I am spending far too much on food...just for me I spend $200-400 a month...I make my own bread, unless I am pressed for time, because I don't eat HFCS and the breads without it are $4/loaf here. Generally, (not always as this week shows) I prepare all my own meals as well. I don't drink soda or beer or use disposable towels or napkins or girl stuff. The cats cost me ~$20/month. Oh, I shop the sales too.

So for me, your grocery bill doesn't seem high at all. I am wondering how you manage to keep it that low.

I'm right there with you, minus the kitties. I spend a lot as well. I am amazed at how people can feed whole families for an entire month on what I spend.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i'm single, i spend around £35 to £50 a month tops, roughly $50 to $75
    near manchester england

even skem isnt that cheap!
    assume you mean weekly.i avg £200 pcm$300. as a single guy.
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I spend about 1200 a month for my husband, myself, a 16 year old and an 8 year old.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ignore this! I asked a question that was answered later in the thread.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I live in England and we spend the equivalent of around $750 a month on groceries. That's for 2 adults, a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a baby. Well, the baby doesn't eat food yet. That money includes cleaning products, but things for the baby like nappies, wipes and also things like toothpaste and shampoo I buy separately from another shop.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400 a month on just myself. I live in nyc and I think that's pretty good. I have a friend on food stamps and she tries to make it on under $200 because she's on food stamps. I don't know how she does it, but she's also about 75 pounds overweight and so I don't comment.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We live in a suburb of Chicago and I spend EASILY $200 a week, so that's $800 a month, usually more. I shop once a week at Trader Joe's OR a combo of a produce store and Whole Foods, depending on how much time and energy I have. This does not include Target for paper goods, cleaning supplies and some food items like applesauce, cereal, dry beans, rice, pretzels, crackers, that kind of thing. I may go to Target once a month. I pack four lunches a day--a 15 year old (who is 6" 2", 175 pounds and swims on the swim team 8 times a week--before and after school some days), a 13 year old, hubby and myself. I eat one Greek yogurt a day, the boys eat one soy yogurt a day in their lunches, and hubby eats one dairy yogurt in his lunch every day. That right there is a ton of yogurt! Plus we are vegetarians. I make one or two large items to use in lunches throughout the week, like a quinoa and veggie salad, pasta salad or some kind of wrap, plus cut up fruit or veggies. I shop on Fridays after school and by the next Friday I am telling you there is NOTHING left in the fridge. I often shop and still get take out on a Friday because I am exhausted from the week and don't get the shopping done in time to make a dinner-how dumb is that!!!! That is pretty much the only eating out we do-we never eat out during the school week and it's just too expensive for four people who eat big portions.
  • foxsummer
    Options
    Wow! I'm in awe of some of you who spend so little. We average between $1000-1300/Mo for two adults and two kids (6&2). That's all organic, or as much as possible anyway, and very little meat (1lb/wk).
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just completely revamped my diet 3 weeks ago so haven't figured out cost yet.. spent a lot this month on things that I wont need to buy again for a long time.
    I am guessing on my new diet I'll spend approx $160-200/month on groceries + $60 eating out.
    I do get free beef from my parents though, but don't eat it too much.
    This is having meat every night and usually at lunch as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400 a month on just myself. I live in nyc and I think that's pretty good. I have a friend on food stamps and she tries to make it on under $200 because she's on food stamps. I don't know how she does it, but she's also about 75 pounds overweight and so I don't comment.

I spend a similar amount in NYC. I think it's possible to do it cheaper, but I'm too lazy to try.
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I spend about 240-320 a month just for myself :x
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    At least 1,000 per month, family of 6 with kids age 2-13. Easily 1200. We live in Maine, where food is considered pricey. This is a lot of fresh produce, gluten free, organic meats, but also a lot of pre-packaged protein bars and frozen vegetarian meals (the 13 year old lives off this stuff). Also, this includes organic wine and non-food items..
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    We spend about $850 a month for two adults and one 4-year old. We live in Vancouver, BC which from my travels in California, seems to have a similar cost of living and grocery prices.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Yikes that sounds high. We are a family of 4 in upstate NY (2 adults, a 6yo and a 2yo) and we spend $400-$600 a month on groceries, including cleaning & paper products.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the huge response! Looks like I need to do some budgeting! I am seeing I spend far too much on our bill. Haha :cry: :happy: