Grocery Bill

Options
1235»

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am totally impressed that you all can even keep track of what you spend on food. If I had to guess I'd say I spend about $250 per month, single and living in Toronto, ON. Food is generally more expensive in this city, even though I pretty much always shop at No Frills (the cheap grocery store). But that's really not taking into account the amount of money I spend on eating out, which is quite a bit. Also there is an organic farmers market I can go a little crazy at. So my bill really is probably much higher. Being single and keeping afloat financially more or less, I don't worry about it much. And then there's the $$ spent at the LCBO...
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I live alone and spend about $100-$180/month on food, depending on what is in season (In the PNW)

Dog food isn't included, my chihuahua eats a 4lb bag of food every 5 months or so for $14.99
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    $600-700/mo average for family of 4 in WA State here.

Hm, wow. Let's see, two in our houshold, eastern wa... so food prices are higher and quality is lower than western. We're at $50 a week on average, plus $20 for meat, which we buy two animals once yearly. That $50 includes wine, craft beer, and other occasional splurges like pumpkin spice waffles, and pumpkin macarons from trader joes.... ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Oh and when we lived in SF... the two of us could cover a week of meat and veg for about $30. Then we'd probably spend another $30 on cheeses and wine. So, take that out, we could probably live in SF right now for $200 a month.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I assume the majority of your food is bought at whole foods or other local organic chains? Our food budget for a 2 adults and 2 children aged 10 &5 is about $800 including my gas but not including times that we have ate out. We shop at costco quite a bit and I have noticed some months are higher when we have to restock our pantry but it usually all evens out because some months we are under our budget! I don't think your bill is that out of control considering So Cal prices but I think there are definitely ways you could improve and shop smarter to decrease your bill if you wanted! By the way I live in San Diego.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I spend about $1200 a month on groceries for me plus two kids. $600 of that is just my food.

I wish it was lower, but all three of us have food allergies and medically restricted diets. There are many basic foods we can only buy expensive varieties of just to ensure no allergen contamination (like meats, nuts, beans, grains, even produce!).

The budget has paid a high price! :-/ I'm literally looking at gardening more simply to lower our food budget. >_<