Calories in/calories out yes what if....?

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
I get the concept of to lose weight consume less than you burn, but I was wondering lately after I read comments on the forums if what macros your calories come from matter
Does it matter how many carbs/fats/protein I eat in terms of weight loss?
Also, does it matter in certain medical conditions? I am not diabetic but I do have increased insulin in my blood and I do take metformin for that

I see a lot of knowledgeable people here, hopefully someone can help :smile:

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you were to go from one extreme to the other on macros that take more energy to digest, process, and store.

So if you went from high fat, low carb, lower protein (minimal processing) to high protein, low carb, lower fat (maximal processing) - yes you could make a difference in that equation.

On average the calories expended processing food is about 10% of how much you eat, that extreme range above could change that.

What the macros usually do is help with adherence.

If high carbs constantly gives you low blood sugar and constantly feeling hungry, you may adhere to calorie level, but you could also go over a lot.

Protein for many can fill you up. Too much though and it'll just be converted to glucose anyway (part of extra energy use there), and now back to higher carb problem.

Same as meal frequency as far as strictly weight loss hasn't shown in studies any benefit to one extreme or the other. But you personally may find it works better one way or the other.

In terms of encouraging ONLY fat loss, and retaining as much muscle mass as possible, enough protein is important.
    0.82 grams per lb of bodyweight is a good goal. More isn't useful, but not harmful either unless kidney problems.
    Fat for hormones is needed to, so 0.35 grams per lb of bodyweight is good goal.
    Once those 2 are taken care of with pretty much a specific number that doesn't change, carbs fills in rest of the calories.

For you, probably every snack and meal having a good ratio of protein and fat before eating the carbs. Just to slow the spike of insulin by slowing the uptake of the carbs.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer (based on 20+ years of study and experimentation) that it really does matter.

I can lose weight on 2000 cals a day low carb, and gain or stay exactly the same on 1300 cals a day low fat/calorie counting. My Doctor also told me I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago and put me on metaformin, but now no trace of it, and no drugs. Also no joint pain, no headaches, no food obsession, no out of control cravings, and 46lbs down.

Prior to this, struggling with the low fat calorie counting ethos, I lost 5kg, gained 10kg until I was 50kg overweight (over 20 years).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well you'll learn very quickly after logging in each day what foods you're eating that are loaded with empty calories, but overall since most of us eat a variety of protein, fat and carbs in day anyway, I don't see any difference per definition of a calorie in macros.

IOW a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs, unless of course your daily calorie consumption comes a package of Oreo cookies and nothing else.
  • shai74
    Options
    Well you'll learn very quickly after logging in each day what foods you're eating that are loaded with empty calories, but overall since most of us eat a variety of protein, fat and carbs in day anyway, I don't see any difference per definition of a calorie in macros.

IOW a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs, unless of course your daily calorie consumption comes a package of Oreo cookies and nothing else.

Lol ... no. It's not. Good try though ...
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you're just trying to lose pounds, no it doesn't matter. Plenty of people lose consistently and maintain eating what they want within their goals. If you have a more specified body recomp goal (looking to build muscle for ex) I think you need to pay more attention.

And obviously you need all your nutrients and whatnot and if you don't get them even under calories, you won't be healthy. Certain things fill you up and satiate you better as well.

This is a very hot button topic on these boards, as it is pretty much everywhere. The first thing you have to think about is what's realistic and sustainable for you? And what are your goals? Go from that point, I would think.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you're just trying to lose pounds, no it doesn't matter. Plenty of people lose consistently and maintain eating what they want within their goals. If you have a more specified body recomp goal (looking to build muscle for ex) I think you need to pay more attention.

And obviously you need all your nutrients and whatnot and if you don't get them even under calories, you won't be healthy. Certain things fill you up and satiate you better as well.

This is a very hot button topic on these boards, as it is pretty much everywhere. The first thing you have to think about is what's realistic and sustainable for you? And what are your goals? Go from that point, I would think.

My goal is fat loss while maintaining the muscle mass I have, I eat at a 20% deficit of my TDEE and I don't eat processed foods anymore
    Now you raise a good point about sustainability, my trainer wants me to only include carbs from veggies and his reasoning was something about maintaining a steady level of insulin in the blood ( i am on medication for that though).
    I don't know how long I can keep with carbs just from veggies, I'm not looking to eat junk, I would like to have some kind of bread, rice, quinoa and oats
  • shai74
    Options

No its not what?

A calorie is not a calorie. All calories are not created equal. Big difference between a calorie from a cookie and a calorie from saturated fat or protein.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm a believer in calories in/calories out. i have type 2 diabetes, and when i started counting calories on may 1st i had a fasting blood sugar reading of around 250. i had no trouble losing weight by reducing my calories 500 per day, and have been losing slow and steady ever since. my blood sugar is mostly close to normal - even normal if i do slow, steady cardio, and i do eat carbs, although i don't eat sugar and i'm limiting my carbs now, but i wasn't when i started.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter for weight loss, but the source of calories between the macro nutrients have an effect on hunger, mood and energy levels.

Speaking from a personal experience and not a scientific perspective.
  • testepp
    testepp Posts: 15
    Options
    Scientifically as someone who HAS studied nursing nutrition, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If your personal experiences are different, then you may have a condition that makes your body react differently than the normal populace. This doesn't mean a cookie is as good as a carrot per calorie though. High-vitamin foods provide you with more overall nutrition, which helps your body function better in all regards. If you're getting everything you need though, that cookie could be the same as some carrots if you're ONLY looking at how many calories (for weight loss).

Regardless, your personal beliefs don't change the fact that your body uses all calories equally. However, carbs will be -digested- faster - ie, broken down into their base calories - much faster than say, protein, which is more complex and broken down slower. This can lead to you feeling hungry sooner if you eat high carb, low protein, unless you stuff yourself full of indigestible fiber as well, which does slow it down some.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options

A calorie is not a calorie. All calories are not created equal. Big difference between a calorie from a cookie and a calorie from saturated fat or protein.

A calorie is a unit of energy. It is a fixed unit of measurement. A calorie is a calorie.

If you're talking about nutritional value, of course they are not all equal. But a calorie is a calorie.

ETA: previous poster beat me to it far more eloquently :)
  • testepp
    testepp Posts: 15
    Options

A calorie is a unit of energy. It is a fixed unit of measurement. A calorie is a calorie.

If you're talking about nutritional value, of course they are not all equal. But a calorie is a calorie.

ETA: previous poster beat me to it far more eloquently :)

That is something I forgot to mention though. :) A calorie is a unit of energy, it's not a physical 'thing'. All our foods are not packed with little calorie granules! Hahaha.

A calorie is just a measurement of how much useable energy your body breaks food down into, accounting for things like digestion (ie, the energy it uses for digestion), so it's literally in the essence of what a calorie is that makes them all equal. :D

Saying they're not is like saying the electric plug that my computer is currently plugged into doesn't supply the same energy as the plug on the wall on the other side of the room, or the plug at my friend's house one city over. It's all the same kind of energy (assume we're talking about just house plugs for the sake of the metaphor, no heavy duty / industrial ones ;D ).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, nothing but calories matter. Eat only Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and you can still lose.

For overall health, it's a totally different ball game. You should consult your doctor about what foods you should or shouldn't be eating. A lot of people on the Glucophage have dietary restrictions. Even without that, healthier food makes a healthier you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Big difference between a calorie from a cookie and a calorie from saturated fat or protein.

No, there's not. Nice try though.

Think about the saturated fat in a cookie. Why is that any different to saturated fat from another source?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight just by keeping your calories low but you need to think of the health of your body - it's not just about poundage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

mini quote from the article so you know what it's about:

"The new study was financed by the National Institutes of Health and published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. It included a racially diverse group of 150 men and women — a rarity in clinical nutrition studies — who were assigned to follow diets for one year that limited either the amount of carbs or fat that they could eat, but not overall calories."
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options

My goal is fat loss while maintaining the muscle mass I have, I eat at a 20% deficit of my TDEE and I don't eat processed foods anymore
    Now you raise a good point about sustainability, my trainer wants me to only include carbs from veggies and his reasoning was something about maintaining a steady level of insulin in the blood ( i am on medication for that though).
    I don't know how long I can keep with carbs just from veggies, I'm not looking to eat junk, I would like to have some kind of bread, rice, quinoa and oats

You need a plan you can stick to long term. If you want to eat bread, rice, quinoa, and oats, and have no medical reason why you can't, go ahead and eat them in an appropriate portion size. You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

Also, as others said above, the macro mix may make a difference as to how easy it is to comply with your calorie target (or to hit it without counting). In my experience, if I cut carbs I usually end up eating less and if I eat carbs without protein or fat I often am not satiated for very long. That's why a bagel for breakfast wouldn't work for me. (This is not uniform, as I find fruit and veggies pretty satiating, but not even high fiber grains on their own.). While I think some reactions are more common than others, these vary from person to person, so it is worth experimenting with.

I don't have any problems with insulin, but my understanding is if you do you are more likely to find a diet high in carbs less satiating. If you are satisfied the way you eat I wouldn't assume that applies to you, but if not it's something to experiment with to see if lowering carbs some helps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No its not what?

The nutritional properties are obviously different, but of course a calorie is a calorie does not claim otherwise.