High blood pressure and exercise

So I have a bit of a crisis. I have medicated high bp (like, it's seriously high when I'm not medicated), but due to refill issues I haven't been able to take anything for the last two nights. Well I have a 5K scheduled for tomorrow night, and I didn't even think about my blood pressure. Is it a bad idea to go through with the race? I honestly have no idea what to do and I would hate to have wasted my money, but I'd also hate to have a stroke. :(

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    You're 21 years old. Your heart isn't going to just blow up because you exercised and missed a day or two of your BP meds. If you are really concerned, call your doctor in the morning. Honestly, though, I've never heard of a young person dying of high BP. It usually hits a bit later when you start to age.

Have fun at your race.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    You're 21 years old. Your heart isn't going to just blow up because you exercised and missed a day or two of your BP meds. If you are really concerned, call your doctor in the morning. Honestly, though, I've never heard of a young person dying of high BP. It usually hits a bit later when you start to age.

Have fun at your race.

Thanks for the encouragement! My bp gets as high as 150/110 unmedicated, which isn't as high as some but still pretty steep for my age. :/ Anyway, I tend to freak out about my health since I'm a nursing student, so I'm likely over complicating things.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Not as young as you (31), but even after a 100lb. loss I still struggle with high BP. IMO, no...it's not worth racing. Somethings are just genetic and we have to take the meds. I'm no fear monger but my father had his first heart attack at 36, and died at 48 (in 2010) so to me it's not worth it. Evaluate your situation but me? I wouldn't chance it.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,227 Member
    As a 62 y.o with medicated hypertension, I think you will be fine. While the numbers you state certainly are not good for someone your age, or any age, the couple days shouldn't be a problem. Again, check with your doc, but a few days shouldn't cause a problem. When I run, my blood pressure goes down. Good luck on your race.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Not as young as you (31), but even after a 100lb. loss I still struggle with high BP. IMO, no...it's not worth racing. Somethings are just genetic and we have to take the meds. I'm no fear monger but my father had his first heart attack at 36, and died at 48 (in 2010) so to me it's not worth it. Evaluate your situation but me? I wouldn't chance it.

Oh c'mon. She missed her meds for two days. She probably had high BP before she took meds and her heart didn't blow up. Don't try to scare people over a 5k run. She isn't 48 she is 21.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I honestly have no idea what to do and I would hate to have wasted my money, but I'd also hate to have a stroke. :(

I'm flattered that you think i'm a medical professional, and you'd trust your life with my advice. BUT i recommend asking your doctor. If they're not available, call your pharmacist and ask them.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    I honestly have no idea what to do and I would hate to have wasted my money, but I'd also hate to have a stroke. :(

I'm flattered that you think i'm a medical professional, and you'd trust your life with my advice. BUT i recommend asking your doctor. If they're not available, call your pharmacist and ask them.

Doctor, doctor, doctor.......speak with your doctor.......as much as I appreciate hearing the knowledge and experiences of some of my MFP brethren, I do not intend on asking any of you anything to do with any medical condition I have.

Bear in mind, you are asking a crowd that consists of people who debate whether they would "kiss, marry, or date" the person above, and people who will ignite a forum war over what's better: cardio or strength training..............no offense to anyone in particular, love you all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I honestly have no idea what to do

Well you're going to get both views, so you need to work out how to take the advice, or whether you're wanting the decision that you've already made validated.

Things I would think about:

How trained for the run are you?
    Are you running for a time or completion?
    Were you training before the high bp was diagnosed and medicated?
    How are you feeling?
    Are you able to maintain a target pace in the race without getting caught up in the excitement?

I was recently diagnosed with high bp. The Doctor told me that I needed more exercise, this despite running 40km per week at the time and training for a half marathon... He then told me not to run... Essentially clinicians are generalists in a huge field, they can't be experts in everything. His advice was so flaky that having done some of my own research I opted to continue to train with my HR at a moderate level and avoid anaerobic work.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    What do you mean "refill issues"? If the pharmacy is low, which is doubtful with BP meds, most pharmacies will give you a few days' worth of pills. Worst case, you should be able to get the script transferred. If there were no refills, they can call the doctor or you can call the doctor and ask them to call it in.

If the cardiologist won't refill it because you blew off your appointments and they no longer feel they can prescribe anything because they can't be sure of your condition, then you need to make an appointment and get in there soon. You could try calling your primary and asking them to prescribe it until you get back in to see the cardio or go to a walk-in clinic or ER clinic.

Blood pressure is nothing to screw around with, race or no race. I wouldn't run the race, but that's not the only problem. You need to get back on your meds ASAP.

Stopping BP meds cold turkey can be crazy dangerous.

You take medical advice from strangers on the Internet and they can kill you. You get what you pay for, for sure. I really don't understand why MFP supports this kind of thing. It's unsafe.

Get to a doctor as soon as you can.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    I would ask a doctor if you're really worried, but ultimately, listen to your body. Do you have a HRM? If so, wear it during your run and keep an eye on the heart rate - don't push yourself too hard if it's getting too high.
    Totally different medical problem, but I've been ill with flu for the last 10 days (I know right??!!) but I have still been running. I've just taken it a bit easier, mostly by default because my body won't let me push too hard!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    As a person with that takes BP meds..your numbers are pretty high ..Personally I would call the doc and be honest for the reasons you havent gotten them etc..Maybe they have samples to tide you over...Get the ok from him/her to race
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I find that if I skip mine and I exercise that it puts it under control while I am exercising. However, I am really listening to what my body is telling me. I can tell when my body really needs the meds. In your position, I would start the race but stop if it feels unconformable. You'll know.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Ask your Doctor :flowerforyou: And dont run out of meds!! :noway:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    The refill issues were a problem with the pharmacy. I'm picking up the next prescription and starting back tonight, so I will have only missed two doses. I know that none of us here are professionals, and I do plan ok contacting my doctor beforehand, but I was feeling a little lost and needed some insight, which I did indeed get. Also, to address some questions, I'm fairly trained to run and run for completion, not time. I do have a HRM, so if I do run, I'll be sure to wear it.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    I am on BP meds too. This week my doctor told me that the medication I take is not accumulative. I don't know if this is true for the type of medication you are taking, but what it means for mine is that there is no residual effect from the weeks I have been taking it previously, so I would have no protection from BP surges until I take my next dose if I missed one.

Talk to your doctor, err on the side of caution, stroke would be my worry in that situation more than heart attack.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member

Oh c'mon. She missed her meds for two days. She probably had high BP before she took meds and her heart didn't blow up. Don't try to scare people over a 5k run. She isn't 48 she is 21.

She asked for opinions, not medical advice. Also...while you're at it tell that to the families of the young runners who collapse doing these races that seem to be in perfect condition before race day. Not trying to scare OP, but obviously one silly race isn't worth losing your life over. Get real.
  • ThatDoll
    ThatDoll Posts: 37 Member
    I wouldn't do it if i were you.... After seeing the effects of HBP in my family, I wouldn't even think about messing with my heart like that :(
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    She asked for opinions, not medical advice.

I kind of disagree, she's basically asking us to make a medical judgment call..........kind of irresponsible for her to ask, and irresponsible for any one of us to presume to have the answer.
  • Why don't you ring the pharmacist for advice?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    She asked for opinions, not medical advice.

I kind of disagree, she's basically asking us to make a medical judgment call..........kind of irresponsible for her to ask, and irresponsible for any one of us to presume to have the answer.

I wasn't asking anyone to make a medical call, I was asking for insight. I called my doctor yesterday morning and she told me I would be fine. The reason I posted this thread was to gather opinions and, since it was so late at night, I wasn't going to bother my doctor with a call that could wait until morning.

In any case, we ended up not going because my husband got very sick, but thank you to everyone who tried to be helpful.