High blood pressure and exercise

2»

Replies

• belleFL
    belleFL Posts: 29 Member
    wow 100 pounds lost and bp still high? I'm sorry to read that. I'm very curious what will happen with me as I lose weight. It's my #1 goal to stop bp pills. Been on them since my early 20's, but I have never really tried to lose weight the way I am now. Nevertheless, thank God for meds. I would advise the member who started the post to check with her cardiologist. I agree with you: I would not take any chances.
  • belleFL
    belleFL Posts: 29 Member
    The refill issues were a problem with the pharmacy. I'm picking up the next prescription and starting back tonight, so I will have only missed two doses. I know that none of us here are professionals, and I do plan ok contacting my doctor beforehand, but I was feeling a little lost and needed some insight, which I did indeed get. Also, to address some questions, I'm fairly trained to run and run for completion, not time. I do have a HRM, so if I do run, I'll be sure to wear it.

Smart girl. Now I feel better that you are doing the right thing. I do agree: We are not professionals here. And some of us do give honest, well intended advice, so nothing wrong with checking with others here, but the ultimate decision is between you and your doctor. If you decide to run, I wish you the absolute best.
  • Edit: deleted as I just read the OP didn't do the run.

Hope your husband feels better soon!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    She asked for opinions, not medical advice.

I kind of disagree, she's basically asking us to make a medical judgment call..........kind of irresponsible for her to ask, and irresponsible for any one of us to presume to have the answer.

I wasn't asking anyone to make a medical call, I was asking for insight. I called my doctor yesterday morning and she told me I would be fine. The reason I posted this thread was to gather opinions and, since it was so late at night, I wasn't going to bother my doctor with a call that could wait until morning.

In any case, we ended up not going because my husband got very sick, but thank you to everyone who tried to be helpful.

YOU asked US to give insight regarding YOUR blood pressure. I wonder what would have happened if you saw one "insight" or a few "insights" you liked, acted on those and something bad happened. Once again, very irresponsible on your part and anyone's part who presumed to know YOUR health.

By the way, I was helpful too by suggesting you do something even you said was "a call that could wait until morning".
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

I kind of disagree, she's basically asking us to make a medical judgment call..........kind of irresponsible for her to ask, and irresponsible for any one of us to presume to have the answer.

I wasn't asking anyone to make a medical call, I was asking for insight. I called my doctor yesterday morning and she told me I would be fine. The reason I posted this thread was to gather opinions and, since it was so late at night, I wasn't going to bother my doctor with a call that could wait until morning.

In any case, we ended up not going because my husband got very sick, but thank you to everyone who tried to be helpful.

YOU asked US to give insight regarding YOUR blood pressure. I wonder what would have happened if you saw one "insight" or a few "insights" you liked, acted on those and something bad happened. Once again, very irresponsible on your part and anyone's part who presumed to know YOUR health.

By the way, I was helpful too by suggesting you do something even you said was "a call that could wait until morning".

I was going to call my doctor regardless. I just needed some support and opinions during a time of stress. If you weren't here to do that, then posting was pretty pointless, sorry.
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Since you will be talking to your doctor, prior to the race, I can't see any better advice than he can give. Do what he tells you and put your health first.
  • jeremywm1977

I was going to call my doctor regardless. I just needed some support and opinions during a time of stress. If you weren't here to do that, then posting was pretty pointless, sorry.

Yes, me giving you practical advice was pointless..........and my idea of support was to support the idea you had all along of CALLING YOUR DOCTOR. There are greater issues at play if you are relying on the people in this forum to not only going to give you insight on your blood pressure, but also relieve your stress.

Have fun. I'd offer more help, but I think someone in this forum has a dying relative and is asking for insight about whether or not they should pull the plug.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Not as young as you (31), but even after a 100lb. loss I still struggle with high BP. IMO, no...it's not worth racing. Somethings are just genetic and we have to take the meds. I'm no fear monger but my father had his first heart attack at 36, and died at 48 (in 2010) so to me it's not worth it. Evaluate your situation but me? I wouldn't chance it.

Oh c'mon. She missed her meds for two days. She probably had high BP before she took meds and her heart didn't blow up. Don't try to scare people over a 5k run. She isn't 48 she is 21.

Um… age has NOTHING to do with medical problems. She could still go into a stroke at age 21.
  • lemonsnowdrop

Yes, me giving you practical advice was pointless..........and my idea of support was to support the idea you had all along of CALLING YOUR DOCTOR. There are greater issues at play if you are relying on the people in this forum to not only going to give you insight on your blood pressure, but also relieve your stress.

Have fun. I'd offer more help, but I think someone in this forum has a dying relative and is asking for insight about whether or not they should pull the plug.

Thanks for all of your negativity and snide comments. You're a sweetheart. :)<3
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    So I have a bit of a crisis. I have medicated high bp (like, it's seriously high when I'm not medicated), but due to refill issues I haven't been able to take anything for the last two nights. Well I have a 5K scheduled for tomorrow night, and I didn't even think about my blood pressure. Is it a bad idea to go through with the race? I honestly have no idea what to do and I would hate to have wasted my money, but I'd also hate to have a stroke. :(

Your pharmacy can give you a couple of pills to get through the next few days until your prescription is refilled. My pharmacy does this for me if I have refill issues. You need to ask though- they don't do this automatically.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    So I have a bit of a crisis. I have medicated high bp (like, it's seriously high when I'm not medicated), but due to refill issues I haven't been able to take anything for the last two nights. Well I have a 5K scheduled for tomorrow night, and I didn't even think about my blood pressure. Is it a bad idea to go through with the race? I honestly have no idea what to do and I would hate to have wasted my money, but I'd also hate to have a stroke. :(

Your pharmacy can give you a couple of pills to get through the next few days until your prescription is refilled. My pharmacy does this for me if I have refill issues. You need to ask though- they don't do this automatically.

Wow, I never knew that! I have my meds now, but thanks for the tip!
  • jeremywm1977

Me not telling you what you want to hear does not equal negativity...........but I will agree that this biggest of sweethearts did make some snide comments. You are welcome.
  • lemonsnowdrop

Me not telling you what you want to hear does not equal negativity...........but I will agree that this biggest of sweethearts did make some snide comments. You are welcome.

Never mind. Not worth it.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    call and ask your doctor. do not follow anyones advice other than a doctor.