Thigh gaps and thinspo

Options
I've seen a lot of posts regarding thigh gaps on here, on tumblr, and on the internet.

As many people know, you either are destined to have one, or you aren't. You can lose all the weight in the world, but unless you have the bone structure for it, you may not be destined to have that gap of nothingness between your thighs when your knees are touching. And that's okay!

I figured I would do a quick visual on how easy it is to manipulate your body to create the illusion of one, and to remind yourself to not always believe what you see online. Unless of course, it is one of the wonderful success story threads you see on here. :)

thighgap_zps805597b2.png

thighgap2_zps50efc632.png

The first images I'm standing or sitting like I normally do.
In the second photo on the top, I spaced my legs apart a lot more, I leaned forward, and I pointed my camera down to make my legs appear slightly slimmer.

In the second photo on the bottom, my legs are raised in the air, I'm balancing on the balls of my foot, and I brought my legs together. (Not a comfy pose to hold!)

I know this is rocket science for most, but if you are feeling discouraged that you aren't losing weight in your legs (or any part of your body in general), that you don't have a gap, or are rummaging through photos online for the ideal legs/thighs you want, just remember that things aren't always what they seem. Do people still take photos like this anyways? Sure. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? Not necessarily, unless you're delving into unhealthy thinspo ideals. Are they edited, cropped, or manipulated by a computer or by contorting one's body to get that photo? It's possible, but not always the case. But just remember it's not representative of the body you have, and you don't need to look like a photo online to still be successful!

Good luck to you all on here!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Well, I did enjoy a beer tonight, so cheers to you too! :drinker:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Oh, and I want your leggings, they're adorable.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Like really ? Shouldn't this really be on FB ?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Like really ? Shouldn't this really be on FB ?

Like nope.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Thank you! I got them at Marshall's, only $7.99! They have a lot of these unsymmetrical pattern leggings out this fall.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Thank you! I got them at Marshall's, only $7.99! They have a lot of these unsymmetrical pattern leggings out this fall.

Brb, off to Marshall's
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Brb, off to Marshall's

Just watch out, you may leave with a wok like I did along with these leggings, haha.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    AGREED 100% :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Woo! Everyone's doing this today! :drinker:
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Thank you for this.

You are very welcome. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love your leggings too, sadly I am Uk so we won't get those here.
    Also have to say, you look great and very slim as you are, if you don't mind my saying, and I cannot imagine you have any weight left to lose.
    Oh and I have a thigh gap whatever I do, but that is because I have these wide set hips... I will take narrower hips over the thigh gap anyday, lol, but ah well.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The leggings are kickass. You have a nice figure and look better in the photos where you're standing/sitting naturally.

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks thigh gaps are very unattractive though.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks thigh gaps are very unattractive though.

^ Nope I am all in with you!!!

Great points. But...

Is it strange seeing this coming from someone who actually HAS a thigh gap... Or is it me?
  • SeattleRaven
    Options

Nope, I also wonder why people want one; it makes them look bowlegged.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    The leggings are kickass. You have a nice figure and look better in the photos where you're standing/sitting naturally.

Thank you! They're my new favorite pair.
    And my whole stance is I think they're fine if you naturally have one. But since not every person is destined to have one (like me; I have a cute tiny one near my knees, but I don't have the hips for a full one and that's fine..since I don't want one), there's no need to starve yourself to get one.

I think the most unattractive thing is that the media has drilled it home through Photoshop and advertisements that you need one to have a perfect body.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

^ Nope I am all in with you!!!

Great points. But...

Is it strange seeing this coming from someone who actually HAS a thigh gap... Or is it me?

I do have a small one, yes.
    But I'm talking about the gaps where there isn't an ounce of fat on your legs. Some people have tiny ones like mine, and that's as big as they'll get. I've never had a full thigh gap in my adult life.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options

But I'm talking about the gaps where there isn't an ounce of fat on your legs. Some people have tiny ones like mine, and that's as big as they'll get. I've never had a full thigh gap in my adult life.

Not attacking you at all - I agree with the previous poster that you look just dandy standing normally - it is just funny to me that someone with a thigh gap is giving this advice/info :flowerforyou:
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Not attacking you at all - I agree with the previous poster that you look just dandy standing normally - it is just funny to me that someone with a thigh gap is giving this advice/info :flowerforyou:

It's okay!
    I think the biggest thing I see with thinspo is there are girls with similar body types to mine, and they'll post these photos and edit them to make it appear they have those really huge gaps. I've seen a LOT of this on Tumblr lately, and it's really surprising actually.

I know it may be weird seeing it come from me, but I just wanted to show how easy it was to exaggerate your body to make it look way different than it does when you're sitting/standing normally. :smile:
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great post! Its amazing the tricks behind photography, either like how you have done or photoshop. I see those type of photos all over the internet too, and it doesn't bother me so much, but for teen girls etc they can be chasing something that's not real.