Carb-blocking Products : Are they effective?

Options
2»

Replies

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    White kidney bean extract is supposed to inhibit the actions of amylase which breaks complex carbs down into compounds which can then be processed into glucose. The story goes that, by stopping the initial breakdown of the complex carbs, further processing does not occur and the carbs are then treated as fibre. There are reports on the interweb of double-blind trials which allegedly showed some success.

White kidney bean extract is reported to have no effect on simple carb processing.

I tried eating white kidney beans in lieu of other food and then tried the extract capsules. Whether the extract does not work, my existing high-fibre diet, incorrect dosage or too many total carbs, I noticed no change in my weight or intenstinal activity.

What set me on the weight-loss-success trail is MFP. By logging everything I eat and by getting the true content of that food, I can accurately monitor my intake and make informed choices.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    White kidney bean extract is supposed to inhibit the actions of amylase which breaks complex carbs down into compounds which can then be processed into glucose. The story goes that, by stopping the initial breakdown of the complex carbs, further processing does not occur and the carbs are then treated as fibre. There are reports on the interweb of double-blind trials which allegedly showed some success.

White kidney bean extract is reported to have no effect on simple carb processing.

I tried eating white kidney beans in lieu of other food and then tried the extract capsules. Whether the extract does not work, my existing high-fibre diet, incorrect dosage or too many total carbs, I noticed no change in my weight or intenstinal activity.

What set me on the weight-loss-success trail is MFP. By logging everything I eat and by getting the true content of that food, I can accurately monitor my intake and make informed choices.

I was going to bring this up...I have had some success maintaining weight loss with these products, but never lost weight on them.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    never heard of them and sounds totally bunk ….why can't you eat carbs?
  • sridharj23
    Options
    Some of the diabetic pills do this (Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors). They inhibit the enzymes that process carbs. And the known side effects are gas, bloating & diarrhea. If you want less carbs inside your body then simply eat less. I will never dump into my mouth something which I simply want to come out on the other end after a few hours. And it never works that way. There is a rich microbiota living in our intestinal tacts to help with things that our body cannot do by itself. What reaches them (re)defines the balance of the eco-system there. I would prefer to keep it at a beneficial balance.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My wife is always talking about this new product or that new product for weight loss. My response is always the same "If it really worked there would be no fat people in the United States". The only thing I have found that works is a Calorie Deficit period, regardless of how that is achieved. Myself I do it with excercise and eating healthier.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    your body needs carbs (fruits, veggies, whole grains) so how does a carb blocking pill know the difference from good and bad carbs? Like the other post said, if you want less carbs in your body eat less carbs. Quick fix pills come with long term side effects. I've tried them all and the only things that has given me positive results with no negative long term effects are eating healthy and exercise.
    Good luck to you!
  • RommelMathew
    RommelMathew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi guys im back. I had an out of town trip last weekend and tried carbtrim while eating more than double of my daily calorie limit. I gained 4.2 lbs because of this. As i am trying to recover the gained weight last monday by meeting my calorie goal, i easily lost 2.2 lbs the following day. Then i worked out yesterday and did not have any deficit but still lost 2.2 lbs. that's 4.4lbs in 18hrs! I think this is good for recovering the weight gain from feast days. I will try this again next time and give you more feedback.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    That 4.2 lbs is water weight that you have now lost because you have gone back to regular eating! There is nothing magic about this! Your tea didn't do this you did by going back to a reasonable diet!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi guys im back. I had an out of town trip last weekend and tried carbtrim while eating more than double of my daily calorie limit. I gained 4.2 lbs because of this. As i am trying to recover the gained weight last monday by meeting my calorie goal, i easily lost 2.2 lbs the following day. Then i worked out yesterday and did not have any deficit but still lost 2.2 lbs. that's 4.4lbs in 18hrs! I think this is good for recovering the weight gain from feast days. I will try this again next time and give you more feedback.

You haven't lost or gained that much 'fat' in that time, what you are seeing is mostly down to water weight fluctuation IMHO

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - sounds like you have it figured out. Have fun gaining and losing water weight over the next six months and then come back on here and post a "why am I not progressing" thread...which will complete the MFP cycle