Massive Lifestyle Change- No results! :(

Options
This is probably an oft-posted subject, but I need help! About 3 weeks ago I decided enough was enough, I felt sick and fat all the time. I am a 30 year old woman, 5'8" and 190lbs. I was eating all day, had a sugar addiction, and was drinking a 6 pack of corona 3 times a week. Also, I was almost completely sedentary, occasional walks. I knew what to do, so I did it!

-Cut down on booze, I have a couple glasses of red wine occ.
-I quit SUGAR! yay!
-Cardio 30 minutes 7 days a week
-Morning yoga and stretches
-Cut out white flour, bread, pasta, all that
My diet now consists of eggs, beans, nuts, venison, chicken, vegetables, fruits, and brown rice, sprouted grain bread.
Totals about 1800 cals. when I know I was eating around 2500 before.

I have completely OVERHAULED my life and I have nothing to show for it.
190 this morning.
I don't want to lose hope, but I feel it coming, "the give up"

ANY advice appreciated!

Replies

• AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?

And just my personal opinion, but when I have cut things out in the past I just end up binging on them eventually. Unless there is a medical reason, I would just eat everything, in moderation :)
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    Have you had any recent blood work?
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1. Do not get discouraged.
    2. Are you counting your drinks? Seriously?
    3. Although I personally don't pay attention to sodium because I cook salt free...watch your sodium intake.
    4. Bread and rice is bread and rice. If you are counting the calories in it great. Bread...still check the sugar...in ALL forms.
    (Subway ADDS more sugar to their wheat bread to sweeten it.)
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No I haven't. I had my thyroid checked a couple years ago because I was tired all the time and could't lose weight, and he said the results were fine and I just had "Woman in WIsconsin Winter" syndrome.
    Jerk.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food. If you haven't lost weight in 3 weeks, you're probably eating more calories than you realize.

Congrats on the healthy changes!!!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened your diary.

Do you weigh all of your solid foods on a digital food scale?

My starting stats were almost identical to yours (5'7", 190lbs). I lost on 1750cals/day and the scale moved pretty regularly in the beginning. A food scale made all the difference.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing, you don't know how much you're really eating. Also, it would help if your diary was open.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't very long. Please don't give up, because you're doing everything right. Honestly, if you're saying the words "give up" then you haven't made a lifestyle change yet. You're on a diet, and you need to figure out how to convert it into something you can live with. That probably means finding new lighter foods to be the basis of your diet, but still eating old favorite foods in moderation until such time as you find you genuinely don't enjoy them anymore.

Use an app called HappyScale. It will let you track your daily fluctuations. You may have lost a small amount of fat in that time (1- 2 lbs), but you can't see it on the scale because it gets lost in normal daily water loss changes..

The other thing to keep in mind is that before you started, you weren't staying the same, you were gaining. A few years back I went on an exercise kick. I went to the gym regularly for 8 months. I didn't lose a pound. But I also didn't gain, where my pattern before was that I was gaining 1 lb per month. So it wasn't ineffective at all, even though it was discouraging.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food. If you haven't lost weight in 3 weeks, you're probably eating more calories than you realize.
    Congrats on the healthy changes!!!

Yes, this ^^.
    It's kinda pointless if you don't weigh your food or count your drinks.
    Many people tend to forget what they've had to drink as well....if it's not been logged.
    I used to drink around 400 cals worth of Orange Juice in one day and thought i was being healthy. When in fact, that was almost 1/3rd of my daily calorie allowance! :noway:
    Needless to say, i now weigh my drinks and have cut back on drinking orange juice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Massive lifestyle change - no results YET... if this really is a lifestyle change then 3 weeks isn't long enough to judge if it's working....

And as others have said, you need to weigh and log everything, you will maintain or gain if you eat too much food, whether it's 'healthy' or not.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't believe this didn't make some change! What is your cardio routine? Is it intense enough that you may have lost fat and gained muscle? Are both 190s from the same time of day?

Steps to take:

1. Take your measurements now -- neck, waist, hips -- record them in MyFitnessPal -- do this every 2 weeks
    2. Try on your tight jeans/pants and see if they fit better
    3. Try your most worn belt and see if the peg fits in a new hole instead of the old one
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    With gaining muscle foe me the scale did not reflect weight loss until the 4 week. I've lost a good trouser size so taking your measurements might show you the trade out of fat for muscle

I've been at it for about 5 weeks, just this past 2 weeks about 5 lbs fell off.

I would definitely use a food scale. My stats are 1200 calories before working out and I try not to eat back all the calories burned. I'm 47 5'5", now 175.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It really takes a while for changes to show up- took me a good 3 weeks of logging all food. LOTS of cardio. By week 2, I stopped eye- balling my food and measured it. I was eating more than I realized. I may be eating too little now and I am adjusting again so I don't lose too fast.
    Same with wine- I measure that out too. 5 ounces of wine looks like 2 oz- not like a full glass like I thought. So I was drinking 20 oz of wine thinking I was being sooooo good with just 2 drinks! It was really FOUR drinks! I was really surprised and try to avoid it completely during week. The drinking thing is still a constant struggle.
    Congrats on making healthy changes and sticking with it for 3 weeks! If you aren't doing body measurements, do that so it will motivate you when the scale doesn't move. I also enjoy looking at my nutrition reports to see what nutrients I am hitting.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You asked for advice, so I'm offering. :)

First, I am 5' 8" and weighed 191 lbs. when I got serious as well... last year! It's taken me a while to lose weight, but it's sooo worth it.

Second, you say you felt sick and fat all the time. If you give up, you'll feel sicker and fatter.

Third, it appears to me as if you're making too many drastic changes at once. Rather than totally cutting out certain foods (that you probably enjoy), just moderate and count your calories. Over time, you'll get use to the moderation, and it won't feel like deprivation, but still continue to count. It's very easy to overestimate how much you're eating.

The first thing I weighted after I got a food scale was cereal. I thought I could "eyeball" a serving. I overestimated by more than twice what it should have been!! That was a real wakeup call for me about weighing and calorie counting.

Fourth, you probably need a day of rest from cardio. Rest is every bit as important as the work itself.

And finally, and most importantly, find what works for you and DON'T GIVE UP!! If giving up is an option for you, you will probably find yourself back here in a few years... heavier and sicker.

Remember this quote when you're feeling weak: "Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now!"

Hang in there!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

My diet now consists of eggs, beans, nuts, venison, chicken, vegetables, fruits, and brown rice, sprouted grain bread.
    Even if you're eat too much of these, you'll still gain weight.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    People get really focused on WHAT they eat instead of HOW MUCH they eat.
    Log truthfully.

Give it 2 months.

If no change, double-check with your doc.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    This is probably an oft-posted subject, but I need help! About 3 weeks ago I decided enough was enough, I felt sick and fat all the time. I am a 30 year old woman, 5'8" and 190lbs. I was eating all day, had a sugar addiction, and was drinking a 6 pack of corona 3 times a week. Also, I was almost completely sedentary, occasional walks. I knew what to do, so I did it!

-Cut down on booze, I have a couple glasses of red wine occ.
    -I quit SUGAR! yay!
    -Cardio 30 minutes 7 days a week
    -Morning yoga and stretches
    -Cut out white flour, bread, pasta, all that

190 this morning.
    I don't want to lose hope, but I feel it coming, "the give up"

ANY advice appreciated!

Do you accurately weigh and measure your food? Do this for two months straight before you make changes again. And I mean, everything solid goes on a digital scale, everything liquid goes in a measuring cup.

Also, progress is S-L-O-W-W-W-W and scale weight fluctuates seemingly on a whim. Find other ways to measure success: what's the tale of the (measuring) tape? How do your clothes fit? Have you taken progress photos? Are you running faster, lifting more weight?

You'll drive yourself to distraction going by just the scale!

Good luck!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I don't really doubt your estimations... but, using words like 'about,' and 'around' when speaking of calories here, doesn't really work. You are going to be told repeatedly, that if you don't weigh everything you eat, you don't really know. A lifestyle change doesn't necessarily equate to less calories in and more calories out than before.

That said..... you do have something to show for it. You have 3 weeks in to a completely overhauled life. You may find you start losing weight, just with the changes you've made... it just may take a few more weeks. Or you may have to make some more adjustments to see progress. But, regardless, you do have something to show for it, although it's not something anyone but you will notice yet. You have started your 'journey.' Giving up would be ridiculous. That would have been like me quitting drinking 20 yrs ago or so, and saying... Jeez, I don't really feel much different after 3 weeks, so *kitten* it, I'm just gonna go back to being a drunk.

Hang in there. Sort through the advice here. Make some adjustments if you think it will help. Just don't quit.

you-cant-just-give-up-is-that-what-a-dinosaur-would-do_1185.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Or you could simply be a healthy young woman with fluctuating weight due to a normal cycle. Three weeks is not enough. Keep at it. You're in this for the long haul, right OP?
  • ceneb3731
    ceneb3731 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes weigh all your solid food , use the barcode scanner in the mobile app...I watch Netflix while walking on my treadmill while at home.....get outside take a walk on a real trail when possible....are your settings correct on your profile?