Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Massive Lifestyle Change- No results! :(

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Go see your doctor. He can rule out physical problems, give you a nice ballpark on a goal weight and daily calorie levels, tell you what kind of foods you should and shouldn't be eating and oversee your weight loss journey.

People pus so much time and energy into trying to figure things out, getting different ideas from different places, trying to decide which are right. It's much easier to just go see the one person who knows best.

If you don't like your doctor, get a new one. Go see the doctor and do what he says. That's the best plan.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    what did people do before there were scales to weigh and measure food? they still lost weight...im still learning this thing but to be honest in my opinion you don't need scales, exercise equipment and all that other stuff to lose weight. like some have said you can eat whatever you want but in moderation. if youre just starting out you probably wont see the scale move as much. it takes some time. im a very impatient person and I would love to go from 175 to 150 over night but it just doesn't work like that. keep at it. youll be glad you did
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    what did people do before there were scales to weigh and measure food? they still lost weight...

I'm pretty sure they got fatter. You've been paying attention to our obesity stats?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

My diet now consists of eggs, beans, nuts, venison, chicken, vegetables, fruits, and brown rice, sprouted grain bread.
    Even if you're eat too much of these, you'll still gain weight.
    Yes...this. Calories in/calories out.

To those suggesting muscle gain--this would be minimal, if at all, because you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, unless it's newbie gains and you are pretty obese.

OP, you've received good advice about weighing food and logging everything you eat. Also, make sure you choose correct entries from the database because there are many incorrect ones. www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    In my experience I didn't cut out any food. I just eat food in moderation. Fast food, sugar or not I still eat them. Usually it takes two months for or bodies to adjust to our new healthy routine. So yep. Two months later before I dropped 5 pounds. He he. Anyways, don't lose hope. PATIENCE is the key! So cheer up my friend. You'll get there in no time :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Okay. 1800 calories seems kind of high unless you didn't enter your settings right. I'm 5'7" at SW 215 my calories were 1690 set at sedentary no exercise. My BMR is around 1548 now. So after losing some I've changed from sedentary no exercise to sedentary with 5x a week 30 minutes. Still at 1610. If I followed MFP no exercise my calories are in the 1420 range. I think you need to check your settings.
    Also start weighing your foods and don't forget drinks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    You started exercising which can cause you to retain water. You could well be retaining enough to mask 'real' weight loss. Plus our cycles throw things off re water weight. Give it a couple more weeks as the water weight fluctuations should stabilize.

This is assuming that you are logging accurately and eating at a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Okay. 1800 calories seems kind of high unless you didn't enter your settings right. I'm 5'7" at SW 215 my calories were 1690 set at sedentary no exercise. My BMR is around 1548 now. So after losing some I've changed from sedentary no exercise to sedentary with 5x a week 30 minutes. Still at 1610. If I followed MFP no exercise my calories are in the 1420 range. I think you need to check your settings.

1,800 is not high at all based on her stats.
  • MelodyandBarbells

Yep. And IMO Higher is better because you can probably fit in more foods you like, which will greatly help long term compliance to your new lifestyle. Lower numbers usually come from setting up the tool to lose weight in the higher range every week, like 2 lbs a week instead of 1 or even .5 depending on what you feel you can accomplish :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells

Yep. And IMO Higher is better because you can probably fit in more foods you like, which will greatly help long term compliance to your new lifestyle. Lower numbers usually come from setting up the tool to lose weight in the higher range every week, like 2 lbs a week instead of 1 or even .5 depending on what you feel you can accomplish :smile:

Oh crap. I just checked my MFP numbers. 1800 *is* .5 lbs a week for a 30 year old 5'8" 190 lb sedentary woman. To lose weight eating 1800 calories you either have to be very precise with your food logging and weighing, and/or exercising to earn more food calories. If you're not weighing your food on a food scale OP, it really may be quite likely that you're wiping out your deficit by consuming too many calories
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    what did people do before there were scales to weigh and measure food? they still lost weight...im still learning this thing but to be honest in my opinion you don't need scales, exercise equipment and all that other stuff to lose weight

People died earlier.
    People didnt have as much food.
    People werent as sedentary and were more active.

Pretty sure if they were eating more than they were burning then they would put on weight

scales help with accurate logging to create your calorie deficit.
    I havent seen people say you need exercise equipment, but it has its uses. If people dont exercise then it wouldnt be any good.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    You've been doing this less than a month. You didn't get to your breaking point in a month, so why would you think tangible change would happen in this time? There IS already a difference, even if you can't put your hands on it yet. Those small changes will keep piling up and will be visible sooner rather than later, so just keep banging on. And you'll be great! :)

It's not easy, but be patient. It WILL happen. Keep doing what you're doing and stop being so hard on yourself.

PS- it took a month for the scale to move in the direction I wanted to. In fact, it went up a few pounds. But it went down again. 95 times, in fact. :smile:
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member

Oh crap. I just checked my MFP numbers. 1800 *is* .5 lbs a week for a 30 year old 5'8" 190 lb sedentary woman. To lose weight eating 1800 calories you either have to be very precise with your food logging and weighing, and/or exercising to earn more food calories. If you're not weighing your food on a food scale OP, it really may be quite likely that you're wiping out your deficit by consuming too many calories

Yep. Actually 1800 calories is only about 1/3 pound loss per week at sedentary. Calorie burns tend to be over estimated, so it would be VERY easy to wipe out a deficit with no exercise and even easier if eating back any exercise calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells

Yep. Actually 1800 calories is only about 1/3 pound loss per week at sedentary. Calorie burns tend to be over estimated, so it would be VERY easy to wipe out a deficit with no exercise and even easier if eating back any exercise calories.

And FYI I think this would work great if she was doing TDEE method, not eating exercise calories, and either working a fairly active job or making an effort to get some activity/exercise. One problem I've seen is that people get a target number from other sites which can be pretty much excellent, but then pair it with MFP standard process and eat back exercise calories anyway
  • Sarauk2sf

Was not clear in my comment - the 1,800 was gross - and assumed exercise.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    what did people do before there were scales to weigh and measure food? they still lost weight...im still learning this thing but to be honest in my opinion you don't need scales, exercise equipment and all that other stuff to lose weight. like some have said you can eat whatever you want but in moderation. if youre just starting out you probably wont see the scale move as much. it takes some time. im a very impatient person and I would love to go from 175 to 150 over night but it just doesn't work like that. keep at it. youll be glad you did
    you absolutely don't need to weigh anything to lose weight, People continue to lose weight today without weighing, measuring and logging. None of it is necessary.

It does help some people, though.

If it works for you, great! If it doesn't, that's great, too. :)
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    I opened my diary but have only been doing it for a few days and I don't think I ever 100% made it complete...
    I can't wait to read all these responses! Haven't had a chance yet! :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I opened my diary but have only been doing it for a few days and I don't think I ever 100% made it complete...

It looks like your not weighing and measuring accurately.

You need to be consistent and give it more time. It hasn't been long enough.
  • Sarauk2sf

Before making ant conclusions, I would recommend starting to log - and doing it as accurately as possible. Until you do, you do not know how much you are eating. Assess in a few weeks.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member

If you only drank zero calorie things during the past 5 days and are not off too much on your log for that time. I predict you will very soon see the scale number move down. :happy: :flowerforyou: