540lb man starting LCHF lifestyle. Yes or no?

Options
124»

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    To everyone posting, the OP said they were leaving quite a while ago, and are not coming back.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The Op has said he is not returning to read further responses, so it is a bit pointless people continuing to post, especially as most appear to have not actually read beyond the Op's initial post.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You know what people? forget I asked. So many hostile people. I came here for council and help and you guys make me feel like absolute ****. You treat me like im lieing about my diet or something. It's not that hard to believe that 10-15 chocolate bars adds up to a staggering amount of calories. But its not a lot of food compared to what im eating now (1-2 heads of broccoli at dinner time) Yes it fills me up and WOW its low calorie. So is it that hard to believe I can't break 1400 calories a day and still struggle losing weight?

I wont be reading any more responses on here as the majority of you are extremely unhelpful and offensive. Thanks to those of you who gave me honest answers about keto and didn't dive into my personal life and past.

Bye.

This made me sad. OP, if you decide to look at the post anyway, I hope you find the motivation you need. You don't need to do very low carb, but you should definitely find a way to get more calories in. Eat more nut butters, full fat dairy, and other things that are higher in calories but easy to eat.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Some replies are just...
    Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You know what people? forget I asked. So many hostile people. I came here for council and help and you guys make me feel like absolute ****. You treat me like im lieing about my diet or something. It's not that hard to believe that 10-15 chocolate bars adds up to a staggering amount of calories. But its not a lot of food compared to what im eating now (1-2 heads of broccoli at dinner time) Yes it fills me up and WOW its low calorie. So is it that hard to believe I can't break 1400 calories a day and still struggle losing weight?

I wont be reading any more responses on here as the majority of you are extremely unhelpful and offensive. Thanks to those of you who gave me honest answers about keto and didn't dive into my personal life and past.

Bye.

I was 562 February last year, I'm 348 now. I don't know about keto but for me as big as I was. It was high protein, it uses eating breakfast with the biggest meal, dinner my smallest, and I walked alot till I was ought enough to jump on the bike, and then on the elliptical. By the way in these last 21 months (4 of those months I quit September 2013-january2014).
    Goodluck, and stay active. Start with 3,000 cals and move down.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Some replies are just...

No. The majority of the replies were spot on. The OP already had his mind made up and got super defensive for no reason. He was already convinced he was gaining weight on 1400 calories a day and didn't want to hear anything else that didn't endorse LCHF.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Some replies are just...

No. The majority of the replies were spot on. The OP already had his mind made up and got super defensive for no reason. He was already convinced he was gaining weight on 1400 calories a day and didn't want to hear anything else that didn't endorse LCHF.

But more people really need to act hmm idk... Mature ?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    I should probably explain somthing because a lot of you keep bringing up this "Less in more out" mentality. That is exactly why I have been GAINING weight.

At my size to lose weight I need to be eating around 3800+ Calories a day. 6700 or so to maintain (This is based on about 22 different BMI/Weight calculators on multiple websites) The reason I am not LOSING weight is because I'm not eating NEARLY Enough during the day. So your theory fails for someone of my size.

I can only handle about 1300-1400 calories a day. I can't eat more than that because I feel way too full.

Are you saying that you are eating 1300 - 1400 calories per day now, and not losing weight? It looks like you've logged 2 meals in your diary.... ever. Please clarify this 1300 - 1400 thing, first.

I was gonna disagree with the others and say that I wouldn't be recommending you doing something as 'radical' as Atkins, without medical advice. But, I was also gonna page CyberEd for his thoughts, and he's already 'weighed in' and said he thinks it''s OK. My advice would be to find a dietitian at the very least, to talk to, before taking on Atkins. However, the majority here, seem to think you're fine to just go for it. I can't believe you've been on a waiting list for a Dr for 15 years.

And I don't think you fully understand the principal of losing weight. You do not have to eat those numbers to lose weight. Eating less should cause you to lose weight faster. It may not be safe to lose that fast, but it should cause you to lose faster. It wouldn't cause you to NOT lose weight.

Why is everyone so passive aggressive? Why am I being attacked?.. Just because I don't use MFP daily doesn't mean im not on other websites logging my stuff? weightwatchers.ca

Yes, as HARD as it is to believe I got fat by eating nothing but Sausage and chocolate every day, 6000 Calories worth of chocolate bars is like 15 chocolate bars, ITS NOT MUCH FOOD. So is it THAT hard to believe that with my new lifestyle of healthy foods I can barely crack 1400 calories? When veggies have barely any calories and fill me up? Come on.

I dont find it hard to believe you are now having difficulty eating more than 1400 calories per day if you have changed from chocolate bars and sugary soda to vegetables etc.
    Other people say similar things on other threads and I find it quite understandable.

the part I am finding difficutly with is the assertion that you are eating only 1400 calories and are not losing weight - that does not seem possible.

Leading to the questions - how long have you been eating 1400 calories? Are you eating more than you think? Do you have a medical issue?

Yes I know you said you were leaving, but this is a public forum - I suspect posters often still read even when they have logged out.

Anyway, if you are willing to try, people will give constructive criticism and ask relevant questions - no need to get defensive and see these at personal attacks, when they are not.
  • FeelinTheLove
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or nutritionist. I've been "dieting" my whole life and one thing I've figured out is that if you tell me NOT to eat something (even if it's something I don't like) my mind will eventually CRAVE it. Such extremes, in my opinion, are not good. I know that many recent studies are showing how detrimental sugar is to our diet. But I cannot think that high fat can be healthy. Why, as a morbidly obese woman, would I ADD way more fat (which I already have in spades on my body) to my diet?

Bottom line is, yes, it is calories in vs. calories out. Steak, cheese, and other high fat items just doesn't SEEM right.

I understand about the health care issues in Canada, but if it were me, it would be worth at l east a visit to a nutritionist, even if I had to pay for it myself out of pocket. I don't think any good nutritionist of physician would recommend this.

So, bottom line? No. If you want a hard and fast opinion, don't do this. Modify your diet to be heavy with vegetables, then lean proteins, some fruit, limited whole grain carbs, and go from there. I know - I've only logged a 1 pound loss since I started a couple of weeks ago. So, who am I to talk? Nobody. Just a chick with an opinion.

We're here to support you, so rock on, my friend, eh!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Bye.
    Andy,

Everyone has given good advice. It's not going to do you any good to get upset at people for being honest.

To me it sounds like you have a medical condition that might need treatment. The weight should be dropping off you at the calorie level you are eating, and it's not.

Eating less calories than you burn is the only way to lose weight, but the diet you chose is totally up to you I personally would die on a keto diet, but I also love my carbs (and I make break every week. :smile: ).

Please, hang in there and try to listen to some of the advice here.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Iv'e finally been suckered into trying a keto type lifestyle. It seems to work for EVERYONE I have ever met and the results are outstanding.

Here's my dilemma. It just doesn't sound logical!! a 540lb man filling his artery's with saturated high amounts of fat? No longer able to eat lentils and split peas and quinoa but instead focusing on eggs, mayonnaise, cream cheese etc? Living In Canada it is extremely hard to get a doctor. I have been on a 15 year wait list so I don't really have any professional help.

What are your specific thoughts on a LCHF lifestyle (Low carb high fat) and do you think someone at my size really should try something like this?

A keto diet doesn't focus on mayo and cream cheese. It focuses on HEALTHY fats like nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, etc.

And it's absolute BS that you've been on a waiting list for 15 years to see a PCP. It doesn't take 15 years to see a PCP or a dietitian. Try harder.

This. I live in Canada, not sure where you are in Canada but while we can have sometimes long waits for things, there is no way it's ever anywhere near 15 years. Occasionally a few months to a year depending on what you need, but to see a nutritionist or dietitian? Doesn't take very long at all. If you can't get in to see a doctor for a referral, go into a walk-in-clinic and explain your situation and ask for one, it's really not difficult. Again, it could be different in the area of Canada you're in but really...

Calories in vs. calories out is what any diet boils down to, any diets where you cut something out, you're just lowering calorie consumption whether you look at it that way or not- that's what's happening. I think you've gotten some really great advice here, and honestly if you choose to not listen to it then maybe you aren't ready for the truth. People are trying to help you, and personally, when I joined, I took all the help I could get because while there's some misinformation anywhere, there's a lot of solid advice from people who have lost a lot of weight and know a thing or two about how to do it in a healthy, sustainable way.

Anything I could add has already been said, I wish you luck in finding a path that works for you whether it's low carb or otherwise because I know how hard it can be to get on track and how daunting all this new information is when you want to go all in, it's super overwhelming. You just need to find the balance that works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

What's going to work for you is whatever diet you can adhere to long term. I would suggest logging your food accurately and honestly on here. Don't go crazy restricting what you can and can't have focus on the calories for right now.

+1