Jealous Husband

Options
I've been losing weight for some time now 16 to a 12...lost 12 lbs. I'm happy for myself except its hard to celebrate when my husband questions my every move. If I go to the gym, "I'm nit at the gym" and that goes for every place I go. I invite him to the gym and he refuses to join me. He prefers me to workout at home with the kids at home and in the patio under the 102 degree sun. I'm fed up with it and everything becomes an argument. Separation and divorce is not the solution, I know this is a small hiccup. How have other women dealt with there jealous spouses?

Replies

• ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't dealt with this, but it sounds like he is really insecure. I am assuming you have already talked to him, but maybe just reassure him that this is about you being healthy and you aren't there to socialize. Maybe counseling if you feel its extreme enough. Good luck!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think you guys probably need some counselling, that kind of jealousy and lack of trust is more than a small blip, it's a nasty blight on a relationship. You aren't going to convince him to change, because it's about control.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My situation got to a point where I just went home to work or Wal-Mart to get food, etc. because anything additional warranted the 3rd degree or if I deviated from the usual estimated arrival home, it would be designated as "missing time" and hello 3rd degree again. If a weird # came through on my cell phone occasionally and I would just not answer it (very few ppl had my # and I am not much of a phone talker as it is) all hell would break loose. The # would get called and god help me if a guy answered on a legit wrong #. Then there were the other things like some nefarious thing going on (in his head) if I shaved my legs. That lasted all of 2+ stupid years. Reason I didn't throw him out sooner was that I was financially stuck at the time. I promised to never put myself in that situation again on both counts. I felt like I was literally let out of prison after that relationship ended and don't know why I put up with all of it now to begin with. I didn't need a gym then, but I wouldn't have even attempted it if I did. Funny thing is, I've also been the jealous one (not to that degree), but in either case it's all so mentally and emotionally exhausting.

Maybe your guy is feeling simple insecurity and thinks your newly skinny self may end up finding someone new in time. If this jealousy thing is a fairly new development then, yes, counseling may be in order. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Did that with aforementioned a-hole (more than 1 therapist) and he just basically said what everyone wanted to hear during sessions and went back to the same old, same old shortly thereafter. After finally getting fed up, and satisfied knowing I did my best to make things better with no improvements to show for it, I packed all his *kitten* and put it in the front yard, took my key back, and told him to call his brother with the pick up to get him. I live in America, not Saudi Arabia, after all.

In your case, if leaving is not an option, and he just keeps at it then you just have to suck it up. However, your kids will not be better for it if they are witnessing all of this back and forth. A son will learn the worst ways to treat a future partner and a daughter will learn to put up with things no woman should have to deal in this day and age.

So that's my story and 2 cents.

ETA: Meant to add that I just got a roommate after that debacle. She didn't work out and then I just got extra jobs. Worked 1 f/t and took on 2 p/t jobs (70 to 80 hour weeks for a good spell...figured I'd sleep when I was rich or dead...whichever came 1st). Being tired from work versus a *kitten* husband was scads better.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    However, your kids will not be better for it if they are witnessing all of this back and forth. A son will learn the worst ways to treat a future partner and a daughter will learn to put up with things no woman should have to deal in this day and age.

Show this quote to your husband and tell him, "no more."

I've taken my share of crap and verbal abuse in my relationship. It stopped when I made him move out and we were separated for a year. Ultimately, he decided he could act like a decent human being and a good husband instead of an *kitten*.

A good marriage (or any relationship) is based on trust and respect as much as love. Your husband is not trusting or respectful of you.

Counseling might be a good idea. Refusing to go along with his accusations in any way would be my advice -- stop answering his questions when he grills you. Lock your phone. Change your passwords. Refuse to alter your actions. If his accusations have no merit, you don't need to constantly defend yourself. He is sucking the joy out of your accomplishments and your life. You should think about why you're putting up with that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell him to build you an air conditioned gym for home and to hire a babysitter while you work out.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight for some time now 16 to a 12...lost 12 lbs. I'm happy for myself except its hard to celebrate when my husband questions my every move. If I go to the gym, "I'm nit at the gym" and that goes for every place I go. I invite him to the gym and he refuses to join me. He prefers me to workout at home with the kids at home and in the patio under the 102 degree sun. I'm fed up with it and everything becomes an argument. Separation and divorce is not the solution, I know this is a small hiccup. How have other women dealt with there jealous spouses?

Explain to your husband that part of taking care of yourself is going to the gym. He should be able to wrap his head around the fact that you can function better, give more when you have been able to clear your mind and work your body a bit. If he can't get this without causing a commotion then counseling may be in order. You may want to go together and re-learn how to deal with each other. One or the other of you may also want to look in to private counseling. You need the tools to be able to nurture a healthy relationship. These tools include being able to take care of yourself physically as well as a third party offering support.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um...

If my husband acted that way, he'd be going to a doctor for check up and then a therapist if nothing was medically wrong. Somethings really aren't acceptable where it comes to "worse". Controlling behavior is one of them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't like to nit at the gym ever since that one time I stabbed my eye with the nitting kneedle while on the tredmill.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ask him what's up and tell him what's up.. You all need better communication,
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How have other women dealt with there jealous spouses?

This doesn't sound anything like jealousy. it just sounds like two people being not nice to each other.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hey....I know a guy who knows a guy who "handles problems." Want me to call him?

hehe. yeah, I have been that guy. it is the old "ugly guy, hot woman" effect (generic terms...not saying he is ugly). If he is worried about other guys hitting on you, then he is 100% insecure and probably thinks you will leave him, or are otherwise not getting "hot" for him. He probably doesn't think highly of himself.

In my opinion, you just need to confront this head on, because if you let it stew, it can only lead to mistrust and other bad stuff. Find a way to let your man know you are his woman. Guys are direct creatures, but they hate talking about it. You can bring it up in conversation, but he will only bring it out in an argument.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh, and.....have more sex. 90% of the worlds martial problems would disappear if people had more sex. Just sayin.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oh, and.....have more sex. 90% of the worlds martial problems would disappear if people had more sex. Just sayin.

I think this is true and does help with non-established abuse situations and times of relationship discord. I don't think most normal guys are as complicated as we females make them out to be. Non-aholes can always benefit from a little Dr. Laura "The Care And Feeding Of Husband's" love from their woman.

Women can be aholes too, so the olive branch doesn't always extend from the other direction. Or in short, as I once heard someone say, "Feed 'em, *kitten* 'em, and Keep the house clean." LOL To that I would add: "And do YOU" because you don't ever have to be a doormat in take-care-of-your-man-before-someone-else-does execution.

Of course, everyone has different dynamics in their relationship, day to day living, and mutual BENEFICIAL "servitude". But like with dieting and working out, being mostly consistent is better than never.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If my husband was jealous or questioned everything I was doing, first I would try to find out why. Would try to have discussions with him so we could figure it out, possibly counseling. Have open and honest communication with him when you are both calm.

But I wouldn't continue just arguing about it, because I won't live my life dealing with jealousy and trust issues. For me if there is no trust the relationship is on it's last leg, unless you can find a way to rebuild it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Just break up.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think you guys probably need some counselling, that kind of jealousy and lack of trust is more than a small blip, it's a nasty blight on a relationship. You aren't going to convince him to change, because it's about control.

+10 :flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I want the OP to think about something....

On MFP there are a lot of marriages that are breaking up or will break up partially because one spouse or the other is getting healthy/fit/losing weight....

Now the quesiton is why are they doing that? For themselves usually...sometimes because they knew the marriage was over and they were going to be dating again and need that "extra" factor to help out.

It's a fact....when you are dissatisfied in your marriage for whatever reason and you are considering getting out the first thing people do is start taking better care of themselves....or they start because they have seen something they like better (or have experienced something they like better) and are doing it for that reason...

My husband and I had a discussion this weekend as I noticed this...and I asked him "did you ever think that when I started this that it was because I was "wandering"...."

His response..."nope not once, we love each other, trust each other and if there was an issue you would have told me pretty quick"

And he was right...

now mind you ...we have sex at least 5x a week sometimes more and we workout together...we don't have the energy to be looking at other people let alone stepping out...

Try that...more sex, working out together or at least in the same spot...compromise goes along way in relationships.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    can you go when he is at work and the kids at school or go early in the morning? my husband complains he doesn't get to spend time together when I leave when he is home from work. you guys need to communicate how you feel to each other. marriage takes lots of communication and compromise. are you sure its jealousy or something else like missing you, etc. you do have to put your health first but your partnership needs to come from friendship and making compromises.. I hope you find a way to work this out cuz its for better or worse and believe me it can be worse. :flowerforyou:
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the sound advice. There is a lot of work to do to as in all relationships. My husband and I have been together for 16yrs. Counseling may be in the cards by now. As well as making him feel #1. I am guilty of ignoring his needs hence running around with our three boys, going to school for my Masters, working out, working, etc. Our home is nice and tidy for the most part, my cooking skills are getting better, and sex, sex happens more often than none, but his attitude is a turn off. Once again thanks for all the advice.