Treadmill broken/ Depressed. Advice please?

Options
13»

Replies

• EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Burn some calories fixing it?
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    take it out side, you'll never look back :)

and of course keep an eye out for another used one. i broke the deck on my last one... thank go it was after i lost a pile of weight, that would have been an ego blow lol. I found a sweet used one that blew my older one out of the water for features etc after a few month of looking. had it almost a year now and ive only put maybe 100 km on it. outside when ever i can :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a treadmill repair service? You can find them in the Yellow Pages, and it would possibly be cheaper than getting a replacement (even a used one).
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in hearing why you don't want to do your exercise outside?
  • desidieter
    Options
    Thank you. My calorie deficit is usually still around 1000 even when I do not exercise so that is comforting. Thank you for the suggestion. I will defiantly look into that.

Wait, your DEFICIT is around 1000? Or you're consuming 1000 calories per day? I'm no expert, but a 1000-calorie deficit sounds potentially harmful. And only consuming 1000 a day is not a good idea, either. I think the recommended is typically 300-500 calories for a deficit, which I think puts you at .5 to 1 lbs loss per week. Then again, I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure whether or not your deficit is too aggressive. Just be careful that you're not under-eating, though. Figure out a reasonable deficit for yourself, because that way, it will be sustainable and you won't run into other health problems (like fatigue, slowed metabolism, body storing fat because its under-nourished, etc.).

A daily 1000 calorie deficit is theoretically 2 lbs a week. Not "potentially harmful" at all for someone who needs to lose 73 lbs.

Oh, okay. I didn't know how many pounds OP needed to lose. 1000 just seemed really high to me, but again, like I said, I'm no expert.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill but you know what I also love? My rebounder. It's a great option if you're on a budget. Fun, low impact, portable, versatile, hide-able, non-electric, quiet.

Try '7 minute workout' or download the app. It's a fun tool for home use, too. Just to add something for the interim, or some resistance training to use along with your cardio of choice.
    http://www.7minuteworkout.us/
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many people (other than a few) either don't read / can't read or are totally insensitive to what the OP stated.

If I couldn't afford to fix the treadmill or purchase another or something equivalent, I'd go back to doing the Stability Ball, Sticky mat and a couple "Pilates on the Ball DVD's". All are low impact, relatively inexpensive and quite a challenge. The whole kit would cost less than $100.

By the way - I also hate to exercise outside too. I love the treadmill and other optional indoor machines I could use at home.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I`m unable to walk outside due to severe allergies. I walk indoors around the biggest room in my house. I can do 3000 steps in 30 minutes - on other days I do 10 minutes of Calisthenics. Those 10 minutes of Calisthenics make me sweat bullets - I got a few workouts off of pinterest.com and modified them to my beginner level. I also log in the calories I burn by cleaning my house.
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people (other than a few) either don't read / can't read or are totally insensitive to what the OP stated.

If I couldn't afford to fix the treadmill or purchase another or something equivalent, I'd go back to doing the Stability Ball, Sticky mat and a couple "Pilates on the Ball DVD's". All are low impact, relatively inexpensive and quite a challenge. The whole kit would cost less than $100.

By the way - I also hate to exercise outside too. I love the treadmill and other optional indoor machines I could use at home.

Thank you for the kind reply. You are right , we all have different preferences.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I too dislike exercising outside or at gyms, I feel like everyone is watching me, paranoia! lol

Its a bit outdated but still works EXTREMELY well for me (I've done it on and off since 1992) and thats Jane Fonda's low impact Step Aerobic workout. You can start this workout with no step whatsoever, there is one girl in the group that does it without the step. Its truly low impact cardio and allows you to workout at your own pace, or push it higher. I still have the old video tape, amazingly, but its never been released on DVD. But good news! I found iton YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT2JQeYJ2w

There's actually very little Jane in this, but I find the instructors peppy. I've lost a ton of weight over the years with this video, I've always had to start over due to back injuries, car accidents etc, this is the only video that has a light enough option to start, for me to keep going. I still have the original step! You can use any step when you're ready, I've seen them at thrift stores here and there.

I add free weights for upper body on alternate days, and also throw in another great video Pilates for Weight Loss, as my fitness gets better and I can actually see my abs needing more tone. (this is where I am now)

Good Luck!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you love your treadmill, as others have suggested, look into getting it repaired.

I'm not a fan of exercise videos, they bore me after a few times and I just don't use them, although they do work. I'd also recommend jumping rope, hula hoop, jumping jacks, running up and down your stairs (if you have them), or just walking quickly around your house. Some days when I just want to get in 20 minutes of cardio and I don't want to go anywhere I'll combine them (run up stairs, walk a minute, do 30 jumping jacks, walk a minute, go down stairs, etc.).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sentaruu wrote: »
    I'm very interested in hearing why you don't want to do your exercise outside?

Let me give you some ideas

1. I live in a high crime area.....or
    2. My exercise time is after dark & I don't want to be mugged....or
    3. I have allergies......or
    4. I live in a rainy, snowy, very hot (take your pick) climate....or
    5. I'm agoraphobic

Do people really need to defend their exercise choices? Sorry, but my exercise is about me.

Personally, my reason is #4.....I have zero excuses when I exercise indoors. This makes me consistent.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? Put some good music on and do some step aerobics. If not, just dance till you figure it out.