Why am I not losing weight???

Options
I have been on MFP for over 3 months, and I have lost 21 lbs in (20 lbs before MFP total 40-45lbs). My first month I worked on logging all my food, following a proper diet and exercising. I have been following my 1200 cals a day religiously and working out.

My second month was more of the same but I added intensity. Instead of just walking everyday I also joined a gym where I lift weights like a fiend.

Month three still following my diet and exercising added P90x doubles (doing two a day) to the mix with everything else. What I wonder at is why I am not loosing more weight? I do something everyday. I log my food and I am usually sore by night time with the amount of effert I put in working out,

Any ideas?

I have lost inches 16 in total, but hardly anything in the last month. ????

Am I working out too much? Not enough?

Replies

• meaghanls
    Options
    You're building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. If you're losing inches, that's a super indication that you're doing something right!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is low for your current weight. What does MFP say you should be eating per day to lose 1 lb per week?
  • countjackula
    Options
    I have been on MFP for over 3 months, and I have lost 21 lbs in (20 lbs before MFP total 40-45lbs). My first month I worked on logging all my food, following a proper diet and exercising. I have been following my 1200 cals a day religiously and working out.

My second month was more of the same but I added intensity. Instead of just walking everyday I also joined a gym where I lift weights like a fiend.

Month three still following my diet and exercising added P90x doubles (doing two a day) to the mix with everything else. What I wonder at is why I am not loosing more weight? I do something everyday. I log my food and I am usually sore by night time with the amount of effert I put in working out,

Any ideas?

Just so I understand: you've lost 21 lbs total (since joining MFP). How is that split between months 1, 2, and 3?

- Are you eating the same amount each day (calorically)?
    - Are you eating the same amount of each macronutrient (carbs, proteins, fats) each day?
    - Are you gaining muscle?
    - Are you resting and sleeping enough?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    She's not building muscle at 1200 calories. You can't build muscle in a caloric deficit, the human body exists in one of two states at any point in time, anabolic or catabolic (excess energy and deficient energy states) in the former you can build muscle, in the latter you can lose weight, you can't do both at once. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and ask if you're eating your exercise calories. P90X is intense, and these things take energy to do. If you're creating a super large deficit, then you might be in famine response.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There is a time when your body will hit a plateau because it is trying to sort things out :( I know because I hit it only 10lbs in. And it took me almost 2months to get below that!

Just know that it's a way of your body saying "OK I know I need to lose weight, let me do a few things before we continue to move on" don't get discouraged, know that being at this point is a good thing because your body is realizing your change.
  • valentine72
    Options
    I agree with above.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    She's not building muscle at 1200 calories. You can't build muscle in a caloric deficit, the human body exists in one of two states at any point in time, anabolic or catabolic (excess energy and deficient energy states) in the former you can build muscle, in the latter you can lose weight, you can't do both at once. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and ask if you're eating your exercise calories. P90X is intense, and these things take energy to do. If you're creating a super large deficit, then you might be in famine response.

This!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm going to also agree with people here and say it's likely that you are not eating your exercise calories back, so you are not eating enough, and your body has plateaued in starvation mode.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Listen the SHBoss, he KNOWS what he is talking about.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

You're lifting AND P90X....and you're doing this everyday?

I think you've long past exceeded the law of dimishing returns regarding your workouts. Dial it back a notch, and eat a little.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    to be fair guys, we don't KNOW if she's eating her exercise calories, that was a guess/question. It's one possibility (of many), but one that seems more likely than others. It could be she is eating them and has some other reason why she isn't losing.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673, I am not eating my exercise cals. It just seems....wrong. But your earlier comment makes sense. If I ate all my cals plus exercise cals, I would be eating like 3k., how can you lose weight eating that amount?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673, I am not eating my exercise cals. It just seems....wrong. But your earlier comment makes sense. If I ate all my cals plus exercise cals, I would be eating like 3k., how can you lose weight eating that amount?

Whoa. Well, that's your problem. SHBoss will chime back in, but please eat!!!!!!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Oh I love to eat. Dont worry about that. It just seems fundamentally wrong if you know what I mean:) In the past year I have stopped taking all medication (alot) for depression and anxiety (under medical supervision) and it was suggested I should work out to help with those feelings. It has helped immensely. But I guess I am not getting the happy medium.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Oh I love to eat. Dont worry about that. It just seems fundamentally wrong if you know what I mean:) In the past year I have stopped taking all medication (alot) for depression and anxiety (under medical supervision) and it was suggested I should work out to help with those feelings. It has helped immensely. But I guess I am not getting the happy medium.

It may seem counterintuitive, but you need to be eating either most or all of those calories earned by exercise. Please read these and you will understand more. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning

thx for the link, checking it out right now......
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The links in the above post are great. Some are long stories though, so I'll sum it up with my goals as an example:

2130 -- Calories my body uses in a typical day (sedentary lifestyle--desk job)
    1630 -- MFP suggests eating this many calories to create a 500-calorie deficit/day = 1 pound/week

Now if I exercise and burn 400 calories and then eat back those 400 calories, I'm still at the same deficit. My NET calories are still 1630, and my daily deficit is still 500 calories.

If your NET calories are much below 1200, your body doesn't have enough fuel for basic body functions (breathing, kidneys, etc.), not to mention normal daily activity plus all that exercise you're making it do. (1200 is not a magic number, but a guide...my net needs to be above 1400 or I get fatigued and cranky. Found that out by trial and error).

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to do P90X twice a day + insanity + weights? I love activity and feel more energetic if I get in a good workout, but to be honest, my motivation to work out is so that I can eat more! I eat close to 2000 calories a day (sometimes more!) and continue to lose weight, averaging 1.5 pounds/week.

If you do start trying to eat your exercise calories, you might see an initial gain. But don't get discouraged. You obviously have the drive and motivation to do this, and you've come so far already. But be good to your body! Give it the fuel it needs!!! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

are you saying you're burning 1800 calories a day with exercise? I find that hard to believe. but then again...

Anyway, think about it logically.

your body burns say, 1800 calories to maintain your current weight (this is just a number I pulled out of thin air as an example), and you drop it down to 1200 to lose about 1.2 lbs a week (600 cals a day deficit is 4200 a week I.E. about 1.2 lbs)

now you exercise for, lets say 500 calories today, that means today your body burned 2300 calories, now if you don't eat those exercise calories back, but only eat the 1200, you have a deficit of 1100 calories. Probably won't be a problem if you do it once, but do it for long enough and your body can't make up the difference (which it has to do somehow), and to keep up with energy demands your body starts turning off other things, like a dimmer on a light switch, it slows down organ function, it starts pulling energy out of muscle (it's a long story why it does that, but just be assured, it does) and because your body thinks it's in a starvation situation, it starts storing any fat it possibly can, which means, maybe you'll still be losing weight, but not anywhere near as much as you think you should be, and a higher percentage of it will be muscle mass (never a good thing), all the while storing extra fat.

That being said. I don't recommend suddenly starting to eat 500 extra calories, you WILL gain fat that way. You need to let your body adjust, slowly ramp your calories up to where they should be, and IMHO if you've been doing this for over a month, you should shrink your deficit to something around 250 calories for about 3 weeks or so, then when your body recognizes that it's getting enough food again, NOW you can start growing the deficit again, also slowly, and all the while eating exercise calories, this way your body doesn't panic (one way or the other) and make drastic changes. I know this sounds slow (and it is) but it's what you need to do to do it right.

Also, stop thinking about this as a diet and/or temporary situation, your eating habits need to be a lifestyle change, the AMOUNT can go up, but the quality of food needs to stay high, and the exercise needs to continue for ever.

hope this helps.
  • msdebg
    msdebg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I vote for SHBoss1673 I thing that is the right answer. You are probably not eating enough! Who would have thunk it? It is only logical though :smile:
  • meaghanls
    Options
    Sorry, I saw 2100 instead of 1200!