Do I really need a heart rate monitor?

Options
2»

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For me, my heart rate monitor made a huge difference to my motivation and definitely helped me get fit.

i agree 100%....i had a heart rate monitor set up as a reward for logging in 60 days after my ticker count got reset this past summer...i passed 60 days and was like do i really need to spend the money on this thing???? i ended up waiting a bit and then rewarded myself in october with the purchase....i have since become addicted to my polar FT7.....i wear it for every workout and i love that it truly shows me my actual calories burned based on how hard i work.....before i was "estimating" by the machines and what MFP was giving me for exercise calories burned.....i was WAYYYYY overestimating and have since realized this is why my losses were getting stuck or i was actually gaining some weeks.....
    anyway, since i started using my HRM i have become addicted...i push myself further, i play the numbers game...okay i'll do 3 miles...okay i hit 3 miles but i'm only at 289 calories burned, lets go to 300 for sure but then i'll be at 45 mins and im like okay lets push it to 60 mins and then i'm back at ohhhhh i have 319 calories, lets see if i can do more than 350.....it is a total numbers game with me and i really truly recommend getting a HRM if you can afford it just to help you stay the course....it is an awesome tool....i think the best tool i have purchased during this journey besides good running shoes and arch supports for my particular type of foot/arch....

good luck with your decision and happy shopping cause i know you are going to get one......it's worth it 100%
  • blazin_j
    Options
    I got my Polar FT40 today and just finished my usual workout. I was shocked to see that the treadmill was overstating calories burned by about 30%. That's a HUGE difference!

HRMs are expensive, but the accuracy is worthwhile to managing your net calories if you can afford it. Not all HRMs show calories burned, so make sure you get a model that does if that's important to you.