The Treadmill Lurkers

Options
13»

Replies

• clover27357
    Options
    I don't know why this comes off as ignorant to me, but it does. I understand being OCD about schedules, you have to be, but how about some empathy? Those weight machines are intimidating and misconcieved as major muscle bulkers, so most people don't even use them leaving the treadmill as a major source of a workout. Have you ever mentioned to a new member why spending too much treadmill time isn't all that productive? I know they have trainers for that, but a word of advice doesn't qualify as a job within the gym. Going diva about your turn and justifying it by critisizing the newbs as part-timers isn't solving your problem. It actually makes you come off as stuck-up and selfish.

I don't go to a gym because they're expensive and people lurk by offering you magazines and conversation mid-jog on the treadmill. Once, some guy on the treadmill beside me actually wanted me to put my number in his phone while I was jogging, and I barely said anything I didn't even look at him! I'd rther spend an hour on my Fit board and walking in my own neighborhood than have to spend bucks to go through that.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    Personally, I won't use an elliptical or a rowing machine or a bike. I won't go to free weights to kill time in between.
    I schedule my time to run on the treadmill and take my zumba class afterwards. (or vice versa).

The only reason I'm on the treadmill running is bc i'm doing the c25k program.

so i'll continue to stand in line and wait my turn for a treadmill (although i won't be picky over which i get).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this comes off as ignorant to me, but it does. I understand being OCD about schedules, you have to be, but how about some empathy? Those weight machines are intimidating and misconcieved as major muscle bulkers, so most people don't even use them leaving the treadmill as a major source of a workout. Have you ever mentioned to a new member why spending too much treadmill time isn't all that productive? I know they have trainers for that, but a word of advice doesn't qualify as a job within the gym. Going diva about your turn and justifying it by critisizing the newbs as part-timers isn't solving your problem. It actually makes you come off as stuck-up and selfish.

I don't go to a gym because they're expensive and people lurk by offering you magazines and conversation mid-jog on the treadmill. Once, some guy on the treadmill beside me actually wanted me to put my number in his phone while I was jogging, and I barely said anything I didn't even look at him! I'd rther spend an hour on my Fit board and walking in my own neighborhood than have to spend bucks to go through that.

She mentioned way back that there were other treadmills available, but he wanted THIS one. She had set her stuff on their while she went to clean off the last machine-being courteous.

I like working in different manners. at home, in the street and at the gym...........so I guess I have gotten used to it all.

Good lucK!!! :drinker:
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I totally lip sink dirty hard rock lyrics on the eliptical.. and practice belly dancing moves as well.. probably looks like I'm about to fall off!! ahhha
    24hour fitness is packed as well. Luckily the cardio machines have an hour limit! And most of the newbies can only handle 15 min at most, so even if they are all full, they start dropping like flies soon enough! hahahha
    Hang in there, everything will return to normal soon.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a gym for a long, long time, either through University affiliation or when i started having to pay for it on my own when I graduated. I was the only one in my household that used it, and the fees went to over 80.00 per month. We had to kill the membership. I do miss the variety of machines that are available, but now I have some dumbells at home (not referring to family), and I'm on my bike trainer several times per week, so the home gym is a nice refuge now.

Not sure I'll ever belong to a gym again for the reasons you all mentioned: fees, crowds in different times of the year, weird rules like 20 minutes on cardio, and nothing but a bunch of meatheads working out trying to impress each other. Why oh why did the rest of my gender have to harrass women so much that they won't work out with us anymore? Women are so much better to DISCRETELY look at than men. Just my opinion.... :D
    Nothing keeps me from the gym. I go, with baseball cap on....headphones...and sweat. I do have a great gym that is $20 a month though and about a mile away.

My gym is a bit crowded right now but it's to be expected. And I've helped two women understand how the precor works....so it's cool. Hopefully nice people at the gym will keep these people coming back. :)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I have never been a gym rat. I was a carpenter in my younger days and was in great shape. I started driving truck OTR and then quit smoking 11 years ago and have been packing on the pounds ever since. Last year I started running in my neighborhood because I couldn't afford the membership and wasn't sure I would stick with it.. I then scored a super deal on a treadmill and have been running on it ever since. Bought some exercise bands to use w/ the 10 minute workout. Next is a Bowflex Revolution and some dumbbells. Awesome deals at pawnshops and PIAS. Check out yakaz.com

I just found a treadmill for $75!! Thanks for the tip!!! :drinker:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I paid $50 for a ProForm XP590s that came with two iFit discs and the counter said 280 miles and 89 hours!! It is like new. PIAS told me it would be $350 - $400 at his store. I could also get half of that if I wanted to sell it to him or trade up.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't run itno this that often because I work out at home. Maybe you should suggest the gym get number systems like they do at the deli. You could take a numer and then walk the track or something while you wait. You could even start doing some weights while you wait.

Just a suggestion to make to the gym to make your visits more productive.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If I had the space I would definitely put together a home gym. Unfortunately our apartment is the size of a postage stamp.

I go to Lucille Roberts & its a small gym (only 7 treamills & 9 ellipticals) so you have to sign up for the cardio equipment during prime times. You get 30 minutes, can only sign up for one 30 minute block at at time. Suprisingly, although New Yorkers have a rep for being rude, most pretty much stick to the rules. Once in while there's a cat fight over the machines but for the most part it works out well.