forced birthday eating?

Options
I wasn't sure how to word the title but here it goes. My birthday is this coming Thursday and I was asked by my staff what kind of cake I like. I said chocolate but then thought about it and said "Please no cake or food for my birthday." I get told that it's my birthday and there's no dieting on birthdays. Now, I had a great week and am super motivated but these are the types of situations that drive me crazy. It seems that others either don't care or understand how hard it is to eat well for some of us! The person who told me this is very overweight themselves so it's it's not like I could joke and say "well it's easy for you to say" or anything along those lines. Well let's see how much will power I have this week!

Replies

• Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe tell them you'll bring in a cake for them, or look up a healthy recipe and suggest they make it for you instead. If they insist on food veggie plates, or Subway sandwhiches with healthy toppings.

It's so hard when people EXPECT you to eat on special occasions. I have a large family and most struggle with weight. Me going to an event and not filling my plate to a brim they take as an insult, like I'm too good for them. Really that's their issue, not mine.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard about once a week you have a "cheat day"? It helps avoid binging and cravings. Think of it as a reward for sticking to the diet the other 6 days. This will keep your body guessing and you don't go nuts trying to avoid all the things you used to eat.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You know how people put others down to make themselves feel better? Well it can be along the same lines for eating as well so try and remember that people will say those type of things so that if you eat it is ok for them to eat cause it is a celebration. The other thing you can try is compromising with them. Let there be food but tell them that you would love a fruit tray instead and maybe some diet soda
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i didn't have cake or a birthday splurge for my bday this year cause i had weightloss goals dammit! two months later we were going on a cruise and i WAS going to be 25 pounds lighter. i met the goal and had my bday cake/dinner on the cruise, just 2 months overdue :P
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. It seems the work place is the hardest place to say no. My workplace is always having some kind of event. And there is always food in the break room. It was even harder at my old job. They had munchie days at least once a month. I'd go with a compromise. Eat just a small piece of cake to splurge just a little. Don't have a huge piece. Just enough to give yourself a nice reward. And make sure there are healthy foods if they're going to make it an all out munchie day. That should make you feel a little better. When I did Weight watchers a few years ago I used to be good during the week and splurge with my "extra points" on the weekends and it seemed like I lost more weight when I was a little bad on the weekend vs when I was good all 7 days of the week.
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    It's so hard to avoid those situations. Like when you go to a person's house and they have cooked all this food for you & you just have to pick & choose. I know how that feels. It's very hard especially when you are on the starting end & not wanting to mess up.

I recommend letting them bring the food & cake and maybe instead of going overboard, just take a very small piece of cake & smaller portions of the things that you used to eat. maybe even just pick & choose the healthiest options & try not to worry about it too much. There are going to be those situations you just can't avoid. You can work it off doing a little extra exercise that day or that week or just count is as a cheat day w/o going overboard.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. It seems the work place is the hardest place to say no. My workplace is always having some kind of event. And there is always food in the break room. It was even harder at my old job. They had munchie days at least once a month. I'd go with a compromise. Eat just a small piece of cake to splurge just a little. Don't have a huge piece. Just enough to give yourself a nice reward. And make sure there are healthy foods if they're going to make it an all out munchie day. That should make you feel a little better. When I did Weight watchers a few years ago I used to be good during the week and splurge with my "extra points" on the weekends and it seemed like I lost more weight when I was a little bad on the weekend vs when I was good all 7 days of the week.

YEP It's called a "cheat day".
  • Lillyzar
    Lillyzar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @ Gargwin82 I know what you mean! My family is super cool and supportive but I know exactly the situation that you are talking about! I love the idea of healthy recipe cake. My sister did that for me last year but it was my fault that I stopped watching what I ate after that :(

@ Runningneo122 I know it's important to vary our caloric intake and to not deprive ourselves but I want to choose when and how I do it! I guess I'm a bit of a brat. lol

@ srbryt You're right about that! And I'm sure the fruit tray would be a welcome change to everyone at the office after a season of overindulging in heavy cakes, pies and cookies.

@ sprinkies That is absolutely awesome that you held off and met your goal...I won't be at goal after 25 but I will sure be happy I didn't eat the cake :)
  • runningneo122
    Options

@ Runningneo122 I know it's important to vary our caloric intake and to not deprive ourselves but I want to choose when and how I do it! I guess I'm a bit of a brat. lol

No offense, but letting someone else choose to make your b/day a cheat day isn't a big deal.... you get to choose the other 51weeks of the year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who has struggled with her weight had a birthday several months ago, and I made a parfait-like fruit salad by arranging layers of apple, pineapple, peach, mango, grapes, watermelon, and canteloupe in a lovely trifle serving dish. The watermelon was on the top, and that's what we stuck the birthday candles in.

And some years ago, the same friend presented me with a "chocolate cream pie" made of fat free chocolate pudding with no crust in a pie plate. She made it extra firm by not adding quite as much skim milk as the recipe called for, and then serving it really cold. It was firm enough to hold the candles until I blew them out!
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    suggest cupcakes. single serving only 120 calories. It's hard to tell people you don't eat that, because they are "trying to do something for your birthday". and really, the thought means more than the calories...but people who arent watching what they are eating don"t understand that.

Like I said, I've always opted for either cupcakes (request unfrosted-just say you "don't like frosting")
    OR angel food cake. also very little calories

or if you want the best of both worlds....chocolate angel food cupcakes. :-) haha.

but seriously, just a few options! cupcakes are always welcome, and they get their "i did something for your birthday" kick without spoiling your hard work :-)
  • Lillyzar
    Lillyzar Posts: 46 Member
    Options

No offense, but letting someone else choose to make your b/day a cheat day isn't a big deal.... you get to choose the other 51weeks of the year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lol! I guess.... the more I think about it I sound ungrateful complaining about people who are trying to do something nice for me on my birthday.
  • Haven't you heard about once a week you have a "cheat day"? It helps avoid binging and cravings. Think of it as a reward for sticking to the diet the other 6 days. This will keep your body guessing and you don't go nuts trying to avoid all the things you used to eat.

Yes but if your changing your trying to make a lifestyle change a 'cheat' day doesn't really work. One day of cheating could also through off many days of hard work.

• @ Runningneo122 I know it's important to vary our caloric intake and to not deprive ourselves but I want to choose when and how I do it! I guess I'm a bit of a brat. lol

Lol! I guess.... the more I think about it I sound ungrateful complaining about people who are trying to do something nice for me on my birthday.

I don't think you sound ungrateful at all, it's actually good that your thinking that way because it shows that you really want to do this and your in the right mindset to be successful!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    what about a slice of angel food cake with strawberries and sugar free whipped cream? Either way I hope you have a great day. PS, you could always take a slice of cake home with you and wrap it in wax paper and place it in a freezer container for a later time. This is what we do when our neigbor makes us her famous pound cake (unannounced lol but well appreciated). That way we can take out an individual slice when we have extra calories or for an unexpected weekend treat.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Haven't you heard about once a week you have a "cheat day"? It helps avoid binging and cravings. Think of it as a reward for sticking to the diet the other 6 days. This will keep your body guessing and you don't go nuts trying to avoid all the things you used to eat.

Yes but if your changing your trying to make a lifestyle change a 'cheat' day doesn't really work. One day of cheating could also through off many days of hard work.

Let me start by saying, "no offense, but,"
    Absolutely untrue.

The "cheat day" strategy comes right from several books written by people like: Arnold Schwarzanegger and Tom Venuto who are both former Mr. Universe winners many times over. Check out:Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. I swear by it as do several other successful posters I have read on here who either cited it themselves or dittoed my remarks.
  • runningneo122
    Options

I don't think you sound ungrateful at all, it's actually good that your thinking that way because it shows that you really want to do this and your in the right mindset to be successful!

Again no offense but you should read it through again...... I think you missed the joke being made.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    my birthday was this past wednesay i had cake at work and then again at our weekly family dinner that night. i only went over my calories by 100. you can view my diary if you like. you should never totally deprive yourself it just leads to bigger indulgences IMO
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't agree w/ the "cheat day" people out there. Not for me anyway. As a food addict myself, one taste of cake or super sweet treat would send me into a tailspin. Would you offer crack to a drug addict? A beer to an alchoholic. To answer the actual question, I would pull the coworker who is coordinating the event, or food and politely explain that you are super happy that they want to celebrate your day w/ you but if they are to bring a food item, make it a fruit tray or veggie tray. You would hate for them to go to all the effort and then not be able to participate. You have made a commitment to yourself to eat healthily to better yourself and you really wouldn't be able to eat cake on the day.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar tonight. I just don't understand why there is such a level of disrespect at time to people trying to get healthy.

Let them get the cake, eat a sliver, and then walk an extra 30 minutes. But make sure they take home or trash the rest of the cake so it doesn't call to you from the breakroom!! Good luck!