How do you eat brown rice?

BrownEyedG1rl
BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I bought some today to try. I'm not sure what to make with it. Do you eat it plain? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    I'm a huge fan of stir frys and think they're great with brown rice.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    With chicken stir fry and lots of veggies! :)
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 376 Member
    I just use it in place of white rice in anything I would use rice in. It takes a little longer to cook, but I love the flavor. Cook it in some chicken bullion or just with some salt in the water, and you are good to go!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I steam mine (takes almost 1.5 to 1.75 times longer than white rice) and eat it plain as a side dish. I love the taste and texture and so do my kids. Sometimes will add a very small amount of margarine and lemon juice over it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    eat it plain with a few sprays of I Cant Believe Its Not Butter--yummy.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    If I'm not eating in with stir fry, I usually add a bit of roasted garlic with some olive oil, or garlic, butter, and parmesan cheese..just whatever comes to mind.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    You should try the ready rice that they have in the containers, you pop them in the microwave and their done in 60 seconds. I find them at walmart. I use I can't believe it's not butter spray butter on my brown rice. I like it that way and they are so good.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I make mine with low sodium chicken broth.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    I use it the same as white rice, such as with chili, chinese, meat, or a combination of veggies. Simple steamed brown rice with steamed veggies makes a great, filling, low cal and very healthy meal. I did that today and added a bit of tuna - loved it. I steam several meals worth of an organic short-grain brown rice in a rice cooker with no added salt, just a thin coating of olive oil in the bottom of the pot. Makes for quick easy meals over the next couple of days.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    I guess I'm boring I just have it plain with a tad of butter
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I like mine on the side with baked chicken and green veggies, yum!

Sometimes I mix cut up chicken in it and toss in some broccoli, so basically same thing as on my plate but mixed together in a pot. lol
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Cook it in chicken broth so it picks up some more flavor and then saute some peppers, onions, and mushrooms with some garlic and mix it all together... instant side disk! Or us it with anything that has a sauce
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    i like eating it with lots of different things. chicken with red peppers and onions. shrimp with spinach and garlic. broccoli and pork. i like to make a large pot on sunday and then split it up into individual servings for lunch throughout the week. it's a great base and keeps me super full.
  • MissChelleBelle
    MissChelleBelle Posts: 51 Member
    You can mix it up by adding a pkg of vegetable soup mix (look for low fat/sodium options). It's really good with onion soup mix too.

I've also cooked it with freshly crushed/minced garlic cloves & finely diced fresh ginger. No fat or sodium is added this way!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Popeye's Restaurant Dirty Rice Recipe

1 pound ground sausage (I use turkey sausage)
    1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
    2 cups chicken broth (I use powdered consomme)
    1-2 tsp. chopped dried onion

Brown sausage and drain, add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and lower to simmer for 15 -18 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. On MFP it is listed as one serving which is about a cup of the finished dish.
    These are the numbers from my diaryfor one serving:

Cals______Carbs______Fat_______Protein
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Lots of ideas already posted are awesome, here are a few more I use:
    - Eat it plain, or mixed with a small handful of craisins and pecans (or walnuts). It's almost like stuffing.
    - Eat it for breakfast, warm, with skim milk and stevia (or your sweetner of choice). Add in raisins if you like. I do this instead of oatmeal sometimes.
    - Saute bits of your favorite veggies (I use zuchinni, yellow squash, and onion), then add in the rice. Spice with black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and oregano. In the meantime, hollow out a bell pepper and steam it in a steamer basket for about 7 minutes. Fill the bell pepper with the mixture, top with a can of diced tomatoes, and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with a bit of parm cheese and serve. Sometimes I mix white meat chicken into the mix, and I typically make about 4 of these at a time - that's just right for the can of diced tomatoes. My BF will eat 2 for dinner, I'll have one, and still have one for lunch the next day.
    - Add to a vegetable soup for a heartier meal

Hope that gets you started. I find it's much more diverse than white rice because of it's nuttiness. It can go savory or sweet, and keeps you full longer with the extra fiber.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    i eat mine with soy sauce and stir in veggies, garlic and shrimp or chicken.
  • I eat it with my eyes closed and nose plugged! ☺
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    I eat it with my eyes closed and nose plugged! ☺

I was like that, too....lots of easy recipes right here
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    In a stirfry with veggies and tofu. Or plain. Or with adzuki beans. I love brown rice...so many ways to prepare it...all are tasty.
This discussion has been closed.