How do you eat brown rice?

2»

Replies

• Ground chicken & brown rice enchilada casserole! Super easy - just put some salsa on the bottom of a baking pan, put a layer of corn tortillas, then some rice and cooked chicken, onions, whatever! Then put the tinest amount of shredded cheese to hold it together...then another layer of tortillas and then either enchilada sauce or regular salsa, and some more shredded cheese.

Bake it all together for about 20 minutes or so.

It's SO good !!
  • You could also add some to a bowl of chili and stir it up. Adds fiber and tastes good.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    I like mine with lots of lemon juice in the water and then I sprinkle on parsley when it's done. SO good.

You can also add nuts, dried fruit, steamed veggies, or make into a stir fry like others have suggested.

I really like using day-old brown rice in stuffed pepper recipes or fried rice recipes. It works better than fresh.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    I like plain, with a little spray butter and chicken breast!
  • michellesisreed
    michellesisreed Posts: 24 Member
    when I first saw the title I thought you meant..."how do you eat it" like it taste gross not with what because really its not my favorite thing. For me it taste alot like a cardboard box boiled in water. Now maybe I do not know how to make it correctly, so if anyone knows of a good way of making it I will give it a second look.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I eat it with many things, stir fry, steak, chicken with whatever you would normall eat rice with.

Here's how I prepare mine:

Heat a little olive oil in a saute pan, add rice and cook until rice starts to brown then I add chicken broth instead of water one cup at a time and let the first cup or so almost evaporate then I finish adding and let if cook. It gives the rice a nutty flavor to sautee it a bit before adding the liquid and the chicken broth just gives it some flavor, you could use veggie broth too or a mixture, even a cup of broth will help the overall flavor of the rice.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    I prepare instant boil-in-bag brown rice that takes 10 minutes to cook. You can lightly season the water that it boils in and VOILA! Then you can eat it with other foods such as the ones mentioned above.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    All of the above ways are good. I also like to mix in a can of diced tomatoes seasoned with basil and oregano and have that as my side dish to some chicken (cooked in a variety of ways). It's also tasty with a little low fat shredded cheese mixed in.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    I spray a pan with pam cooking spray and put in some zuchini, mushrooms and diced onion and garlic. I add about a teaspoon of lemon juice to that and let it cook until tender. Then I add this mix to some brown rice and have some hummus on the side, garlic or pine nut tastes the best.. Yum! Quick, simple, all natural and you get a few servings of veggies, healthy grains and some healthy fats! One step shop and trends to be low in valorous so you can eat more of it. Or sometimes I take the mix and add some curry sauce-definitely for you if you like spicey foods.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    This thread is awesome!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    My first thought when I saw the title was...

One forkful at a time ;D

My friend has a rice cooker he brings into work from time to time, does an awesome job.
  • I usually grind black pepper on it and top it with some kind of fish (tuna, sardines. salmon) and steamed vegetables, then more black pepper.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    under teriyaki chicken and pineapples. mmm.... i may have to make that for dinner!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Thank you SO MUCH for all of your ideas! I can't wait to try some! I'm having some tonight with my grilled chicken. Planning on mixing in some spices and veggies with it. :)
  • mrsdv
    mrsdv Posts: 13
    I stir salsa into the rice. Also when I have time I stirfry a lot of veggies choopped up small and add them.
This discussion has been closed.