Cooking Challenge: Red Lentils

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fourteenth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from meagalayne who was the winner of the zucchini challenge..

lentils-red1-wmc.jpg

This week's challenge is RED LENTILS!

Lentils are high in protein and provide a good source of protein in vegetarian meals. They also are full of folate, dietary fiber, and Vitamin B1. Red lentils are also known for their iron source, which has been used to prevent iron deficiencies. Health Magazine awarded red lentils a spot on their list of the top 5 healthiest foods!

Red Lentils (1 cup, drjed)
467 calories
1 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
0 mg sodium
0 mg potassium
80 grams carbs
20 grams dietary fiber
36 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday January 15th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    Do I realy have to make it? Is it also fine if my mother makes it? I'm a bit spoiled ;)
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Soooooo. Once I cook the recipe I am making... How do I put pics up? I mean, I need to show my meal correct? I've made it before and it's a favorite of mine so I don't mind making it again but I have the recipe now (or is that against the rules?).

Thanks.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Can anyone join this challenge? Red lentils have a special place in my heart!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Do I realy have to make it? Is it also fine if my mother makes it? I'm a bit spoiled ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't know one way or the other but the idea of this challenge is to challenge people to cook.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Soooooo. Once I cook the recipe I am making... How do I put pics up? I mean, I need to show my meal correct? I've made it before and it's a favorite of mine so I don't mind making it again but I have the recipe now (or is that against the rules?).

Thanks.

You don't need to show a recipe, but it typically helps in the voting. It's up to you though :)
    To put a picture up, get it from your camera to your computer. Then upload the picture to a website like photobucket.com. Take the direct link of the photo from photobucket and insert it into the following code in a reply to this board:

[*img]direct link here[*/*img]
    Just take the *s out of that code and it will work!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Can anyone join this challenge? Red lentils have a special place in my heart!

Anyone is invited!
  • Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok, thenI'll give at the end of the challenge some recipes :) Really don't feel like cooking and my mom uses red lentils once in the week I think?
    But then it will be inspiration for others and I wouldn't cheat.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Lentils!!

Good luck! Lentils are delicious!!!
  • minervasp73
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Veracruz Lentil Soup
    INGREDIENTS: Lentils, Stewed tomatoes, Celery, Onion, Black Beans, Chili Powder, Cilantro
    DIRECTIONS: 1 cup of Lentils + 2-3c water + diced celery & onion in a large pot, heat to boiling. Keep it cooking until the lentils are done, approx. 20 minutes, then add your black beans, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, and chopped cilantro.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 200
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4+
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: DELICIOUS !! You can add in anything you want to this, including chorizo, ham, ground meat, stew meat, and it's typically served in Mexico with corn tortillas and whole boiled eggs. Fast, and easy, and you never get tired of it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Totally forgot about this but LOVE red lentils and have loads in the cupboard. Cannot wait! :bigsmile:
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Red Lentil Soup (Shourba Ads in Arabic) from Middle Eastern Home Cooking by Tess Mallos

INGREDIENTS:
    Red Lentils - Dried, 1.5 cup;
    Chicken broth, 6 cups;
    Small Yellow Onion, grated;
    Ground Cumin, 1 tsp;
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Lemon juice, 1 tbsp

DIRECTIONS: Rinse lentils well in a sieve under cold running water. Bring broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add lentils and onion. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender (about 30 mins). Do not stir during cooking. The lentils should have collapsed into a puree; for a finer texture, pass through a siever or puree in a blender.

Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lemon juice and heat gently. Then serve!

CALORIES PER SERVING: 129 calories

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a family favorite in my house. It has the consistency of split pea soup. It's not much to look at, but it tastes so good on a cold day. My husband would eat it everyday if I made it that often! It is so easy to make and I've never had anyone not like it!

PICTURE (optional): syrian-red-lentil-soup-2.jpg
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    bump

Going to look for some recipes

BBL

Cindy
  • MamaEggMcMuffin
    MamaEggMcMuffin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Kinda excited - Never cooked a lentil before!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Red Lentil Soup (Shourba Ads in Arabic) from Middle Eastern Home Cooking by Tess Mallos

INGREDIENTS:
    Red Lentils - Dried, 1.5 cup;
    Chicken broth, 6 cups;
    Small Yellow Onion, grated;
    Ground Cumin, 1 tsp;
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Lemon juice, 1 tbsp

DIRECTIONS: Rinse lentils well in a sieve under cold running water. Bring broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add lentils and onion. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender (about 30 mins). Do not stir during cooking. The lentils should have collapsed into a puree; for a finer texture, pass through a sieve or puree in a blender.

Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lemon juice and heat gently. Then serve!

CALORIES PER SERVING: 129 calories

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a family favorite in my house. It has the consistency of split pea soup. It's not much to look at, but it tastes so good on a cold day. My husband would eat it everyday if I made it that often! It is so easy to make and I've never had anyone not like it!

PICTURE (optional): syrian-red-lentil-soup-2.jpg
    Looks delish, simple to make, warm for the Winter...what's not to love! Plus the cost is kept low:drinker:
    Thank you!!:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    question for you lentil folks, I've had lentil soup but it wasn't too long ago that I realized there were so many various lentil colors! Of all places to learn was a funky cool jewelery store that used the Health Coop next door and bought beans, lentils and such in bulk for displays to lay out their consignment jewelry. It was beautiful and that's where I discovered the world of color in the world of lentils.

Can anyone teach me what they know? :o)

Most appreciated:flowerforyou:
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    these are awesome recipes so far!
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    Here's my version of lentil soup - this is a vegan recipe:

Vegan Red Lentil Soup
    Serves 8

Curry powder, 2 tsp
    Nutmeg, ground, 0.5 tsp
    Sea Salt, 1/8 teaspoon
    Ginger root - Raw, 6 tsp
    Cilantro, fresh chopped 1/2 cup
    Yellow Onion, 1 medium
    Garlic - Raw, 2 clove
    Red Lentils - Dried, 2 cups
    Squash - Butternut, raw, 2 cup, cubes
    Coconut Milk, 1 can (1 7/10 cups ea.)
    Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, until onion is tender.
    Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.

Per serving:
    Cals: 248
    Fiber: 6g
    Fat: 11g
    Protein: 10g
    Carbs: 28g
    Sodium: 54mg
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    question for you lentil folks, I've had lentil soup but it wasn't too long ago that I realized there were so many various lentil colors! Of all places to learn was a funky cool jewelery store that used the Health Coop next door and bought beans, lentils and such in bulk for displays to lay out their consignment jewelry. It was beautiful and that's where I discovered the world of color in the world of lentils.

Can anyone teach me what they know? :o)

Most appreciated:flowerforyou:

I just know of red lentils and brown lentils....and the red ones are really orange! :) My husband is Arab and there is this one dish he made before that was basmati rice and brown lentils together. It's called mujadara. That's the extent of my lentil knowledge! LOL
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, the vegan lentil soup was almost exactly what I was planning to post. I make something similar with roasted sweet potatoes instead of the squash. :)

I use less coconut milk, add chiles, and diced tomatoes, and I am a it heaver handed with the spices. I also use a few less lentils. It ends up thick and hearty.