May 27 MFP Runner's Club

Options
2»

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Ok my running pros...I have a question for you. Have any of you seen an exercise physiologist? I have been reading all this information about trying to be in your "fat burn zone" and it's really confusing me. If I run at the pace that is my "fat burn zone" I am running really slowly about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile per hour less then I usually run. ... I have read though that if you run more than 85% of your max heart rate that you can actually do damage to your body and to your heart. However, I have been running at a pace that is more than 85% of my max (according to my polar watch) for more than 6 months and I never feel exhausted later or unable to talk. If you aren't supposed to run at a pace that is more than 85% of your MHR (max heart rate) then how do you ever increase your pace? Anyone know the answer to this?:tongue:
    Thanks!
    Buckeye

Warning. This is not going to be the answer that you want to hear. :tongue:

Increasing your pace safely (avoiding injury) takes time. You are not going to increase your pace safely by constantly increasing your pace. I know this goes against all logic but it is true. Consistently working out safely will naturally increase your pace. There are tons of training programs on the Runner's World site that you can use to help you. I have been using Runner's World training programs for over a year now and I am much faster than when I started running and have not suffered an injury. I run 5 days a week. Only one of those runs is a hard run and it is 'comfortably' hard. The rest are at an easy pace.

Are you running in a relatively flat location? I know the hills can really bump up your heart rate.

Check out Runner's World the training programs are free!

The fat burn zone: I am pretty sure this is achieved when you do your weekly long run(see Runner's World site). Once a week, I run for 60-90 minutes. I started out doing 45 minutes for my long run and gradually worked up to 60-90 minutes. The pace is definitely slower for the long run. The long run is about how long you are running. The reason you are running so slowly is so you can last the entire time. Plus, I think you'll get into your fat burn zone.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I ran a 1/2 marathon Sunday...walked 6 miles sunday...rested today...I needed the rest:laugh:

:drinker: I want to be just like you when I grow up! Congratulations on your half! You ROCK!

I will be joining the Half Mary club in November.
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options

Just think one mile at a time:smile:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    ouch! So sore today. I really had to work hard today. I was tight even after 35 minutes warming up. Good news though. I increased my speed today!

While I was running I kept singing "stronger" by kanye west:
    "”Work it harder make it better,
    Do it faster makes us stronger,
    More than ever, hour after hour,
    Work is never over” [played throughout]

Now that don’t kill me,
    Can only make me stronger.
    I need you to hurry up now
    ‘Cause I can’t wait much longer.
    I know I got to be right now
    ‘Cause I can’t get much wronger."

cheesy but it worked
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of anybody who can get up early in the morning to run. I have to do mine after work except during the summer when I'm off mainly because I'm too lazy to get out of bed before I absolutely have to in the morning.

Today I walked 10 miles (two miles walking to work and back and eight miles after work.) I'm training to do a half-marathon at the end of July, so I've been logging a lot of miles both running and walking lately!:happy:
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is great to see you all get your run in today, especially the early am ones. I know it feels so good for the rest of the day. Today is my day off but I plan on getting up to run by 6 am.

I don't carry water with me. I carry a CD player in my left hand and my cell phone in my right (I am a nurse midwife.) so I'm not sure where I'd put water. I usually drink a cup before and 3 cups after my run. Do you think I need water during the run itself?

How far do you normally go??

If you're going mid-day/late afternoon then I'd say yes you need to bring water with you if you're going further then a 5k. :flowerforyou:
    My normal run is 3 1/2 miles but I am trying to increase it to 4. I run at different times of the day and live in Portland, OR so it is usually mild weather if a bit misty. Do you recommend a particular type/brand of water holder?
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I ran a 1/2 marathon Sunday...walked 6 miles sunday...rested today...I needed the rest:laugh:
    Congratulations!:drinker: :drinker: