I tried to run, I really tried..

2»

Replies

• Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    Not really related to running, but a sign of hope....

When I started working out, I had to force myself to stay on the cross trainer for 5 minutes. I'd have to slowly go up a minute per workout, and each time it was hell.

Now? I can do a full hour and even change the resistance to be higher. Hang in there, you'll get it.

Def. a good bit of advice there kathdela - and well done to you for doing so well! :smile: I've done that with the running and thought "heck, I've done enough now" but that little extra push, no matter HOW small helped me carry on - and because it was ME doing it, I felt great to motivate myself - not easy!

Easiest thing in the world is to give up so again - well done!

:smile:
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Baby steps. It all takes time.

You will be able to do it in time.
  • I initially couldn't run more than 10 meters. Now I can do 5km. It's taken a year to get to that point. Don't give up, as everyone has said, work up slowly to your goal. You can do it!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    OK, so many here are saying, in effect, keep running but take it VERY VERY slowly -- which is fine if your goal is really to learn how to run. And that's entirely possible. But it is also putting you at the risk of injury.

But for a slightly different perspective, maybe you shouldn't be running just yet. Certainly, where you are right now, if you want to do it for calorie burn, you're vastly better off walking, cycling or using the elliptical, ie, employing a form of cardio where you're already fit enough for your body to output the required energy. For running, despite the effort you're feeling, you're very likely not even consuming that many calories because your body hasn't reached the performance level FOR THIS PARTICULAR EXERCISE yet.

Myself, I'd like to be able to run a mile, so I started with C25K just a few weeks ago, at 200 lbs. And I think I'm just hanging on to the lowest end of possibly making it work. But realistically, my exercise time is still not that well-spent on running. I decided not to make it a priority and to only integrate it in my workouts about once or twice a week. In a few months, I expect to have progressed in general fitness enough to see a difference, just as I'm already seeing a vast difference in my cycling (to work, mostly -- I'm a LOT faster these days than I used to be).

I find that many unfit people, myself included, have a hard time conceiving that others may be even more unfit than they are -- so the "encouraging" words of "hey, I could do it so you can" might on the one hand motivate you enough to achieve progress, but on the other may put you in the path of less efficiency with weight loss and even of injury. (Indeed, one of the reasons I'm not prioritizing running is the many anecdotal reports of injury I am seeing in the blogs and posts from substantially overweight but dedicated runners.)

This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it -- it's meant as some input for your consideration.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    I did have that problem too. What I realized is that my pace was way off for what I was ready for. I was doing 4.0 walking and 6.0 running. I was feeling light headed, nauseated and getting cramps in my legs. I now do 3.5 walking and 5.0 running. It's not terribly fast, but it's running and it works for me. Good luck to you! You'll get this. You only fail if you quit!
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Let me just pipe in here. When a dear relative/friend died in 2004, I decided to put off dreaming about running a marathon and train for one. At first, I walked. Slowly, but consistently. Then, I jogged. Even if it was just for a few minutes. After I could run consistently for a while, I signed up for a 5K race. Yes, I walked part of it, but that didn't matter. I DID IT.

After doing several 5 & 10k jog/walks, I started training for a half marathon. I bought some great books. The one I used to train (I didn't go with a group or gym) was:
    The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener, and Tanjala Kole

After I ran my half, I was ADDICTED. I ran this first race at 165lbs. Yes, there were MANY skinny runners out there. SO WHAT?! I wasn't doing this for a sponsor or medal. I WANTED TO RUN FOR ME.

In 2008, I trained for 6 months to run the Walt Disney World Goofy Races (half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday). I DID IT. It was the most amazing experience. I accomplished something that most people would think is nuts. Know what? I don't care. I'm going to start training for the 2012 Goofy in July of this year.

So far, I've run countless 5/10Ks, 5 halves, and 3 marathons. My goal is to run 5 marathons and 20 halves before I am 50yo. That is 8 yrs from now.

Back to the topic: It doesn't matter your size. It doesn't matter how fast. If you can walk, you will learn to run. All it takes is believing in yourself. No one else will get you over that finish line. YOU have to be your own cheerleader. There are days when it will be freezing outside, or blisteringly hot. Those are the times when you have to work the hardest. Believe in yourself. All it takes is putting on your walking shoes and making that first step.

YOU CAN DO IT!
    Shan :D
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I started off with fitness walking and use of the elliptical (in 2004) to lose 20 lbs of excess weight and build cardiovascular endurance. Converse to what some say, DO NOT start with running or jogging until you have built up some endurance and have lost some weight. Running is high impact. It can place strain on the joints. Excess weight only exacerbates this problem and can lead to injury. I don't say that to be a jerk or anything - I'm trying to be honest about injury prevention. The last thing you want are knee problems that will kill off any future potential of running.

Anyway...

Once you do ease into running or jogging, I recommend the C25K program or similar (halhigon.com has a couple similar programs for novice runners). Key thing is to use intervals at the start. Don't try to be a hero and run a mile on your first try. You'll get pissed off and out of breath. Trust me. Take it easy and build yourself up.

I started with the C25K in late 2005. I've been on and off with fitness running since and I'm now scheduled to run a half marathon in April.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    You guys have really helped, and told me exactly what I think I've needed to hear. They do say you have to learn to walk before you can run. So I'm going to do the right thing by my body and start with walking, and build up intervals of brisker walking, then jogging a little, as my weight goes down and my fitness increases. It's not giving up, it's just doing it the right way for me.

In truth, I'm a little surprised. I came on here with such a whiny 'me' post, and have gotten so much support and good advice. Thankyou so much, it means the world!
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    You guys have really helped, and told me exactly what I think I've needed to hear. They do say you have to learn to walk before you can run. So I'm going to do the right thing by my body and start with walking, and build up intervals of brisker walking, then jogging a little, as my weight goes down and my fitness increases. It's not giving up, it's just doing it the right way for me.

In truth, I'm a little surprised. I came on here with such a whiny 'me' post, and have gotten so much support and good advice. Thankyou so much, it means the world!

Hey, it's not a whiny 'me' post... you've identified a problem and you want support in that... plus you want advice rather than just 'go your own way'! I mean it when I say WELL DONE because it's not easy to ask for support... I went and saw my doctor and got referred to a dietician after years of battling myself - best thing I've ever done re: my health :smile:

One last thing though - if it's a TOTALLY NEW regime you're going for and have not done before - please see a doctor first just to make sure it's okay - that'd prevent any issues/injuries hopefully and make sure that you're okay.

Hope that helps - and again - sincerely WELL DONE to you for making a decision to do this!

:smile:
This discussion has been closed.