Mommies supporting Mommies

Hello to all my fellow mamas out there!

I've looked back a few pages to see if there were any support threads for moms and didn't find one, so I decided to create one.

My name's Mandy and I'm new to the site. Just signed up today in fact. I am mom to Joshua, my 15-month old son. He is the absolute light of my life! I stay home with him full-time. I am also wife to Tony, the best hubby a gal could ask for, who has always found me beautiful, no matter what I weighed (PTL!).

In a nutshell, I did Weight Watchers Online a few years back and lost about 60 lbs. But due to some rather unfortunate financial issues, I had to cancel my subscription. I gradually gained most of the weight back, and then when I got pregnant, I re-gained the rest of it. I've kinda just been lazy since having my son, justifying my lack of exercise or concern for what I put into my mouth as an unfortunate result of motherhood.

But the older my son gets, the more guilty I start feeling. Not only am I not taking care of myself (thereby potentially shortening my own lifespan), I'm also not setting a good example for my son, which could lead him down the same unhealthy path.

So, I'm done with being lazy and overweight and am determined to get in shape. I considered Weight Watchers again, but since we're on a single income I really don't want to spend the money. So I found this lovely site, which I'm really impressed with so far. And here I am.

If there are any other mommies out there who are looking for support from people in the same boat as you (ie, other moms), please post! Personally, I'm looking to get some kind of accountability buddy. I think it will be easier to stay on track if I have to report to someone on a regular basis. And having something personal in common, like raising children, sounds like a good starting point for finding a buddy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

:happy:

Replies

• mrflibbleisvryx
    mrflibbleisvryx Posts: 47 Member
    Hello to all my fellow mamas out there!

I've looked back a few pages to see if there were any support threads for moms and didn't find one, so I decided to create one.

My name's Mandy and I'm new to the site. Just signed up today in fact. I am mom to Joshua, my 15-month old son. He is the absolute light of my life! I stay home with him full-time. I am also wife to Tony, the best hubby a gal could ask for, who has always found me beautiful, no matter what I weighed (PTL!).

In a nutshell, I did Weight Watchers Online a few years back and lost about 60 lbs. But due to some rather unfortunate financial issues, I had to cancel my subscription. I gradually gained most of the weight back, and then when I got pregnant, I re-gained the rest of it. I've kinda just been lazy since having my son, justifying my lack of exercise or concern for what I put into my mouth as an unfortunate result of motherhood.

But the older my son gets, the more guilty I start feeling. Not only am I not taking care of myself (thereby potentially shortening my own lifespan), I'm also not setting a good example for my son, which could lead him down the same unhealthy path.

So, I'm done with being lazy and overweight and am determined to get in shape. I considered Weight Watchers again, but since we're on a single income I really don't want to spend the money. So I found this lovely site, which I'm really impressed with so far. And here I am.

If there are any other mommies out there who are looking for support from people in the same boat as you (ie, other moms), please post! Personally, I'm looking to get some kind of accountability buddy. I think it will be easier to stay on track if I have to report to someone on a regular basis. And having something personal in common, like raising children, sounds like a good starting point for finding a buddy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

:happy:
  • B4baby3
    B4baby3 Posts: 17
    Welcome Mandy, I am Cj. I too am a mommy to two beautiful kids, ages 2.5 and 1. I have always been overweight, not always buy alot, but always by some. I had issues during both of my pregnancies with preeclampsia and hypertention so I am determied to get to a healthier weight before I get pregnant again (hopefully soon). I have lost all of the baby weight plus nearly 20 pounds but I have about 20 more to go.

I know how hard it is to get the weight off while trying to run a house and family and how hard it can been to cook for a family when not everyone is trying to loose weight. But hang in there, it is so worth it. I know your husband loves you just the way you are and that is awesome, mine does too, but it feels good to love yourself too. So, keep up the good work!
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    I am sure there are lots of Moms out there! I have 4 kids ranging from 16 to 6 years. I also stay home and keep track of everyone as my full time job. I don't know how moms who work outside the home do what they do. I am glad that I have the opportunity to be here at home.

Background on me--Happily married to Steve who also loves me as I am. He is sooo supportive of a healthy way of eating and we strive to do that for us and the kids. I manage to eat healthy but cannot seem to loose weight by that alone.

My main battle is exercise. I want to do it but some how it never happens. I love to walk( that is my preferred exercise) but we live on a road that is too busy. So unless I drive somewhere I can't walk. I do walk when I can but when the weather prevents it is challenging.

I guess I need to be creative. Jump rope, play tag, use the stairs. Any other suggestions out there?
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Does it count if you have a 19 year old that is out of the house?
    --Diann...
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Hi :drinker: I am Audumn and the mommy of a 3 year old boy name Rion Cayden. I never had to worry about weight until I got pregnant with him. He is such a bright and intelligent little guy who is constantly learning and teaching me as well lol.....

Nice to meet you girls
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Welcome here!! :) You will enjoy the site. I've only been on for about a week (maybe 10 days?), and I love the site. Congrats on your efforts - you'll be rewarded!!

Melissa
  • Welcome Mandy! :flowerforyou: You'll love this site, I just found it last week myself. There are lots of moms here willing to help you reach your goal.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Hi! Welcome to MFP. This site is so great. I don't know why anyone would pay to join anything else. Everything you need is right here. I have 2 boys, 1 and 4 and teach part-time, so I'm a half-time SAHM! I recently hit my goal of losing 20 lbs, mostly from my babies. I found the weight loss simple using this site, but I wouldn't say easy! I try to do our elliptical, but when the 1-yr old doesn't agree, we do a long stroller ride. I figure I am pushing 60 lbs, so that is almost more of a workout than the elliptical. A few hints for you are don't keep kid snacks in your house that you like too. If I buy stuff "for the kids" I just end up eating it, and I figure now is the time to teach them healthy eating anyway. The longer you do this "lifestyle" (not diet!), the easier it is and the less hungry you are. I have to keep telling myself my kids are not an excuse to not exercise and eat right and no one "deserves" and ice cream cone just because they have a bad day or they are a little kid! Good luck!
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    I have an 8yr old son and I finally had to admit that the extra 100lbs that I was carrying was no longer "baby weight."LOL
  • janellybelly
    janellybelly Posts: 112
    Hey there! :flowerforyou: We have VERY similar stories. I have been happily married for going on 6 years and I am a SAHM with our 1st and only son (so far) Payton who just turned one. I never had weight problems till I went to college and gained 35lbs. in 4 months! :noway: I got preggers and then gained another 11 lbs. I have finally lost my baby weight and now I am trying to lose that college weight from 5 years ago! UGH!!! I used WW as well and was signed up online. But someone told me about this WONDERFUL SITE and once I checked it out I HAD to sign up and cancel my membership with WW. MFP has been a gift from God...TRULY! I have learned so many great things and it has helped me to REALLY realize what I am putting into my mouth and how hard I am willing to work. Here is to great health, new friends, and MFP!!! :wink: **WELCOME**
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi

I'm a SAHM living in NJ
    I'm mom to Zachary (4.5) and Ava (3yrs)
    I never had issues with my weight until I got my pg with #2...didn't loose the pg weight and gained more
    I came to this site in December after trying to loose weight for 2+yrs
    I've lost 25 pounds, and plan to stick around to offer/advice and support and help myself stay motivated to maintain and not get too lazy with my eating habits etc

Looking forward to getting to know and chatting with everyone!
    Kim
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    I am a 38y old mom of 3--7, 6, and 4! A home renovation and a 5yr old daughter with a broken leg blew my lifestyle out of sight! Put on some wine weight!!! Anyway....I am busting tail to lose this last 5-8lbs before our 10yr anniversary and a busy summer of weekend trips to beach and lake.

Just bought a BIKINI :blushing: :ohwell: today at the urging of my lovely hubby......first bikini since ???? I still have the bikini worn on our honeymoon--unfortunately the top still fits and the bottom is a bit too snug on the hips. Soooo, this belly that carried 3 babes hasn't seen the sun in a long time!

I think it is of great importance to give it all you've got, be realistic and love the skin you're in!
  • PammyB3130
    PammyB3130 Posts: 203
    I am a SAHM, to two lovely, but crazy, little girls: Krisalyn is 2 1/2 and Lana is 14 months. I've always had weight issues and I just allowed the baby fat to be an excuse...and not even a good one because I was really sick through both pregnancies and lost weight....but all my weight was gained after the baby was born and I was all of a sudden "allowed" to eat whatever again and I would just stuff my face all the time! I'm finding it really difficult to workout and stay on track with my calorie counting without sacrificing my precious quality time with my babies...but I'm realizing that at times I do need to take the time for myself, and it will add time in the long run!!

Stick to this program...it works...and I've come to realize that, like so many other things in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it! If you take the time to eat right and exercise and work towards being healthy, the rewards will be amazing!!

So welcome, and I look forward to getting to know you!
    God Bless!!!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    I am so glad all of you replied! :bigsmile:

It's nice to know we're not alone! What kind of exercise is everyone trying out? I spent what would have been my WW money this month on a video/book pack by Leslie Sansone. Has anyone heard of her? Apparently, she does a "walking off the pounds" routine, so each of her DVDs is listed as so many miles of walking per routine. The book that comes in the pack is supposed to be a journal format with daily inspiration and the like.

It was pretty cheap ($15), so I ordered it and it should be here tomorrow or Thursday at the latest (according to UPS anyway). So I'll let you guys know what I think when it actually gets here!

Anyone else have good suggestions on exercising?
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Does it count if you have a 19 year old that is out of the house?
    --Diann...

Oh yeah! I remember the headache I gave my mom even after I'd moved out, so that definitely counts!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Welcome!! This is a great idea. I lost all my weight but gained alot of it back with my newest baby. I have a 13 year old, Austin, a 5 year old (6 next week) Tyson, and my newest little addition 5 month old Cash. I lost the first buncjh of weight really easily so I'm having a hard time with losing this time because it seems to be taking soooo long!! So since I know how it feels trying to lose that baby weight I think it's a great idea for the moms to have their own little support group going on!!
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Hi! Can I get in on this group, too?

I am new to MFP. I LOVE this site! I am a happily married mom of 2 girls. Right now I am a SAHM for the summer. I am back in college full time, so I during the school year things can get a little hectic, to say the least. So I am LOVIN summer right now.

I have been on a long mission (almost 2 yrs) to lose a total of 47 pounds. To date I have lost 30 pounds. Only 17 more to go. I officially lost all of my baby weight last week. I stepped on the scale and it read the exact same thing as the day I got a positive pg test in Jan. 2005. I cried- I couldn't believe that I made it. There was always that little voice in the back of my head that doubted if I could do it. Now that voice is GONE. I was looking through old pictures, and it is really amazing how far I have come. Whenever I need motivation to workout or stay at my 1200 cals, I pull out those old pics and know I never want to go back there again.
  • PammyB3130
    PammyB3130 Posts: 203
    Congrats Nelly on getting back to pre-baby!! you must just be through the roof right now!! keep up the good work and those last 17 will be flying off!!!
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Congrats Nelly on getting back to pre-baby!! you must just be through the roof right now!! keep up the good work and those last 17 will be flying off!!!

Thank you! I was thru the roof- I could not believe it! I was going thru my old pics- and it seems that I've shorted myself by 10 pounds. LOL. I have lost a total of 40 pounds from the time I walked out of the hospital with my DD to now. Still have those last 17.

I Love this site. Its great to give and recieve support!
  • mrflibbleisvryx

Thank you! I was thru the roof- I could not believe it! I was going thru my old pics- and it seems that I've shorted myself by 10 pounds. LOL. I have lost a total of 40 pounds from the time I walked out of the hospital with my DD to now. Still have those last 17.

I Love this site. Its great to give and recieve support!

That's so awesome! I just met you and I'm already extremely proud of you!!!!! :bigsmile:

Keep it up!!