How high does your heart rate usually get?

2»

Replies

• Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Resting HR ~76
    Brisk walk HR 135-140
    Fast jog HR ~175
    Max HR 195

I don't like going over 175 as it gets really hard to breathe and I'm very tired.
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    My mom was working out every morning and, as she worked harder, she stopped losing weight. A coworker, who is a personal trainer on the side, said she was working TOO hard. My mom slowed it down a little bit and started losing weight again.

I guess the logic is that the higher heart rates burn your immediate energy storage -- what you had for breakfast. The slightly slower workouts burn the energy you have stored as fat.

So, if your goal is to train for a grueling event, the high heart rates might be necessary. But if you want to lose weight, a more moderate pace might be best.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    I guess the logic is that the higher heart rates burn your immediate energy storage -- what you had for breakfast. The slightly slower workouts burn the energy you have stored as fat.

So, if your goal is to train for a grueling event, the high heart rates might be necessary. But if you want to lose weight, a more moderate pace might be best.

read all about this a year ago i thinks its very true you dont need to go crazy you need tostay in your zone
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    To find the heart rate range you should be exercising, you should use the Age Adjusted Max Heart Rate (AAMHR) formula:
    220 - age = Max Heart Rate

Take your MHR and multiply it by .7 and .8 to get a good range. 70% is the low end and 80% is the higher end. This is an area that would be comfortable for you to exercise in and should keep you in a good, fat burning zone.

Yes, other testing is more accurate than this method, but it's also expensive and inconvenient. This is the best method I have found for finding my target heart rate for exercise. Good luck!

YES, THIS IS CORRECT.

Although I've seen 180's before and once saw 204 which was neat, in the 150's is best for fat burning.

I aim for 154 on the elliptical which is 80% of my max. My resting is 52, low and healthy. The person with the 80 resting needs to see a doctor asap before having a heart attack! Average resting is 60.

My HRM is a Mio and the new Life Fitness touch screen elliptical is very accurate comparing my HRM, MFP and it together. It sais 480 cals, HRM says 450, MFP says 523 and once when I tried an older Life Fitness elliptical it said 680 so I'm really happy with how accurate the new machines are. Thats for 55 minites (5 of those minutes are cool-down) I'm 5'8 138lbs.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    To find the heart rate range you should be exercising, you should use the Age Adjusted Max Heart Rate (AAMHR) formula:
    220 - age = Max Heart Rate

Take your MHR and multiply it by .7 and .8 to get a good range. 70% is the low end and 80% is the higher end. This is an area that would be comfortable for you to exercise in and should keep you in a good, fat burning zone.

Yes, other testing is more accurate than this method, but it's also expensive and inconvenient. This is the best method I have found for finding my target heart rate for exercise. Good luck!

That makes sense to me, I'm 40 and when I'm doing cardio, I feel like if I'm over 135 I'm working good and hard, and if I hit 150 I get winded right away.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    I feel like I get into a groove and get a good sweat going in the range of 150-165.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Target heart rate - 140-155bpm
    Resting HR - 45-50bpm
  • I just tried to work out with a lower heart rate. My heart rate monitor tells me to be around 111-140 but that just doesn't work for me. I have to work hard to not work hard ahaha. I'm the most comfortable in my 170's.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    I am in my mid 50's and I mine is usually around 144 but does get to into the 150's and even 160's sometimes, but I don't sustain that for more than a minute.
  • I will be using a Polar RS300x soon :D
    But I know from my old watch that if I want to sweat bad, 166 to 175 is good. Over that I feel it is too much. Under 155 I am feeling like I am resting.
This discussion has been closed.