When I was younger...

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
I had a huge crush on Batman & Robin. - now men in leotards & body suits do nothing for me. nono.gif

I hated going to bed at 9:00 - now I long to go to bed at 9:00. :yawn:

Next, I had a crush on Donny Osmond. :love: - Donny doesn't drink, buh-bye Donny...:drinker:

I was embarrassed by my large breasts. - Now after I untuck them & place them (gently) in a suspension bra, I love showing the girls off!! flirt.gif

Your childhood memories....:bigsmile:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Options
    I had a huge crush on Batman & Robin. - now men in leotards & body suits do nothing for me. nono.gif

I hated going to bed at 9:00 - now I long to go to bed at 9:00. :yawn:

Next, I had a crush on Donny Osmond. :love: - Donny doesn't drink, buh-bye Donny...:drinker:

I was embarrassed by my large breasts. - Now after I untuck them & place them (gently) in a suspension bra, I love showing the girls off!! flirt.gif

Your childhood memories....:bigsmile:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    When I was younger...

I could eat five pieces of pizza and still weigh under 100 lbs dripping wet hahaa!! ( Those days are soo gone!)

New Kids On The Block was the IN thing ( Hear they are making a comeback? hahaha!!)

I was embarrassed about all my freckles.. now I love them and don't try to cover em up :smile:
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    Options
    :heart: I Also had a crush on ROBIN....(wonder what he looks like now...)
    :heart: And Peter from the Brady Bunch.....
    :heart: Leif Garret....John Travolta....the BEE GEES....

10 pm bedtime......before summer....

Summer vacation....whatever...whenever....

Wonder BRA!!!! Yeah!

Can you imagine if we would've had cell phones and computers and MP3's "back in da day?":tongue:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    And you know whats said is our kids will never know what life was like without the internet or cell phones..how strange!!
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    Like Flashlight hide & go seek......kickball......neighborhood football......catching lizards...................BEING ACTIVE!
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I was younger...

...I thought 35 was old, now I'm staring down the barrel of my 35th birthday, and I'm starting to feel content in my stride - AND I feel just as young as I was at 21 (now that I'm working out) hehe :laugh:

...I didn't realize the self sacrifice my mother made for us as exactly that - she always served herself last, bought herself a much needed new bra only after the underwire had been sewn back in 30 times, and drove us all around like a taxi endlessly... and none of it was easy! I just thought it was her default all these years and I struggle to be a shadow of who she was for me!:flowerforyou:

...I had no idea how spread apart I would be from all my sibs, they always tell you that the years being a kid are the wonder years, but you don't know what you've got till it's gone, right? There's a reunion to look forward to this summer though! :drinker:

...I didn't realize how safe I always felt. I didn't realize how much my parents put into making an amazingly nurturing home experience for us. I had no idea I was being taught things that I now need to be so aware of to teach to my children. Truths that are the foundation of who we are as humans. It's truly daunting that these little lives are souls being molded on a daily basis... how can I be what they need me to be??? :noway:

...I didn't know that all these things would be so hard and still so great all at the same time, and that every day is a blessing! Life truly is like a spool of thread, it rotates slowly at the beginning, but as you move closer to the end, you're flying!
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    When I was younger I rode my bike everywhere! I was even in a bike gang. Which, for rural Americans means you go off roading through fields to your secret location and play in the mud. I was such a bad *kitten*.

I also would walk to the store and get jolt soda. Like I needed any caffeine.

I had a dark brown tan because I would lay on the roof covered in baby oil...skin cancer?

I tried to learn dance moves from movies.

I swam for hours, played on a tire swing, and caught fish using a towel and chewed up bubble gum.

I had to braid my leg hair before I could shave so I used tweezers to braid it. No joke. My mom is a very funny woman so when I asked if I could shave she replied sarcastically, "when you can braid it!" So...I did.

I wish I was a kid again...minus the braiding.

I also belived I woudl be married with kids by 22 and my husband woudl look like uncle jesse. Now that im 23 I am still holding out for an uncle jesse look alike.
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    MERILLER.......

WoW!.....you can sense the gratitude and love experience of your reflection on your childhood....well said....and very poetic!
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    When I was younger I rode my bike everywhere! I was even in a bike gang. Which, for rural Americans means you go off roading through fields to your secret location and play in the mud. I was such a bad *kitten*.

I also would walk to the store and get jolt soda. Like I needed any caffeine.

I had a dark brown tan because I would lay on the roof covered in baby oil...skin cancer?

I tried to learn dance moves from movies.

I swam for hours, played on a tire swing, and caught fish using a towel and chewed up bubble gum.

I had to braid my leg hair before I could shave so I used tweezers to braid it. No joke. My mom is a very funny woman so when I asked if I could shave she replied sarcastically, "when you can braid it!" So...I did.

I wish I was a kid again...minus the braiding.

I also belived I woudl be married with kids by 22 and my husband woudl look like uncle jesse. Now that im 23 I am still holding out for an uncle jesse look alike.

I remember bike riding with everyone in the neighborhood and hanging out in the drainage ditch trying to catch crawfish....that we would have battle for entertainment!

BRAIDING your leg hair...OMG!....I thought I was the only one who could do that! JK! (Hey, could start a new trend......leg Dreds) Oh too late...I already started that....:tongue:
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    MERILLER.......

WoW!.....you can sense the gratitude and love experience of your reflection on your childhood....well said....and very poetic!

Thanks!
    I didn't intend for it to be so deep, but that's what flowed!
    Aha moments and appreciative reflections are the order of the day for me I guess... :flowerforyou:

I'll just add one more thing though... When I was younger, there used to be kids playing outside all the time - riding bikes, jumping rope, playing tag, whatever! Where have all the kids gone???
    Inside on their computers or videogame consoles I guess. Unfortunate.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I hated my red hair now I keep dying it red. (well actually I dye it light auburn but it looks red.) :ohwell:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    And you know whats said is our kids will never know what life was like without the internet or cell phones..how strange!!

or having to wait to get film developed and hope that they have some good pictures
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    Yeah....you know they say the rise in adolescent depression is like .....way up!......and there's just so much drama on the whole myspace thing.....and just how can you get your seratonin flowing....sitting there worried about the lil tramp who's after your dude?

Or....how or when do they get their dose of vitamin (sunny) D? What is it...10 - 20 mins of sunshine a day? The natural anti-depressent.....excercise and sunshine....
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    Which reminds me....better get off MFP to get my dose....heh...heh:tongue:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I use to ride my bike and play with neighbors from sun up to sun down with no adult supervision. You just knew to come in before dark. Kids can't do that anymore.
    When I was young, I use to wear my Michael Jackson leather jacket with pride.
    When I was young, I use to wear lots of brown and blue eye shadow (at the same time) and thought I looked good. I finished the look with light blue mascara.
    When I was young, rock shirts like Def Leppard, Metallica and Bon jovi were really in style.
    When I was young, I played Atari and was content to play space invaders (kids these days would be so bored).
    When I was young, I use to sit in the car without a seat belt and my father smoked 5 cigarettes in a 10 minute span with the windows closed.
    When I was young, we use to swim in the lakes without worrying about polluted waters.

:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    When I was young.....
    Despite being shy, I was not afraid of anyone. Kids don't get that luxury today.
    When I was young....
    Soda was a treat, not a need.
    When I was young....
    Playing outside, all day...and some of the night, was normal.
    When I was young....
    We didn't have to worry about getting sick from our food.
    When I was young....
    The young respected "their elders"... even if it was only a few years. Where did THAT go!
    When I was young....
    Multitasking involved an ice cream cone, a baseball bat, and glove....
    When I was young....
    They still had "penny" candy.

Life was so much simpler....and it makes me sad that my children will never know a time like that. Through my childhood I learned how to be who I am today. I worry what my children will learn to be with the "norms" of today.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    omg big city kitty you are in my head today...I was thinking about this on the drive home from work...so I got this one all set LMBO

I grew up in the little Italy section of city which back then was my universe and seemed sooo safe...today omg...not so much!

When I was young, I felt safe, played out front w/ all the neighborhood kids till the street lights came on...or if parents were outside sitting on the steps or the lawn chairs (on sidewalks) we could stay out later! :wink:

We'd play stick ball w/ a broom stick for a bat and a half a pimple ball or tennis ball, you had to throw it sideways...it took skills to fling it and hit it...lol and make bases on cars, peoples stairs and sewer covers.

Every summer we'd enjoy one or two block parties, where we'd block off our street, and all of the residents would bring out to the street; chairs and picnic tables and bbq's( no gas grills either...charcoal pits), tons of food, like sausages peppers and onions and all kinds of goodies, sometimes a band would play, always music though...and usually at least a few of the adults would get really silly...the vino would flow lol...

We would go on weekend trips almost every weekend to Walden Pond or one of the surrounding beaches to beat the heat and get us kids out of the city...my parents were like the only ones who'd take us and now as an adult I realize wow! they totally rocked!

Saturday mornings were cartoon time!!! and then creature double feature came on at noon and after that we got kicked out of the house! lol...mom's rules...

I had a purple bike w/ a big banana seat and mad yellow and pink flowers on it...lol, then graduated to my first silver ten speed, and a hot pink skateboard and white roller-skates w/ pink wheels and stopper I loved pink and purple lol!

Everyone knew you in the neighborhood, and also knew your parents...so ah no monkey business! lol
    (until we were old enough to be sneaky lol)

the ice cream truck would come everyday after supper

I had the biggest crush on Shawn Cassidy and Andy Gibbs(rip)....loved the monkey's show...but didn't like Davey Jones like all my friends...I liked the goofy Mikey!!

watched Lawrence Whelk w/ my grandmother and me and my brother would dance like bobby and sissy lol ( he still says I owe him for that 30 yrs later lol)

We never had tonic (or soda) my mom would buy from the milkman our 1% Nu form milk..lol and OJ and sometimes we'd have koolaid or Ginger ale as a treat...we'd love going to friends houses that got soda anytime they wanted and come home all jacked up! lol

corner stores were run by neighbors and always had penny candy

I thought bonny bell flavored lip glosses were the best thing ever....I could wear makeup and didnt' get in trouble and it tasted yummy!!!

family dinners w/ my entire family, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles every Sunday after Mass

Everyone would go in early when the Wizard of Oz came on (no cable or tapes then) and my mom would put out the big comforter and pillows, and turn the living room into a big bed lol...make us popcorn we'd all watch as a family:heart:

we'd go to drive ins w/ my parents in our pjs and again homemade popcorn and sometimes soda and candy as treats! woo hoo!

we'd go on mystery rides w/ my dad on weekend nights....even to just drive to another area of the city and see a raccoon diggin in someones trash....those were amazing nights to us kids!

omg...I could go on but I'm most likely boring you all LOL

hugs and great great thread!!!
    I love going down memory lane!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    My "Goody" comb sticking out of my 501 jeans was the coolest!!

Tiger Beat magazine - best journalism EVAH!!!!

Barbie secretly liked my brother's G.I. Joe better then Ken. (husssssshhhh) :blushing:

Izod's - collar up :glasses:

Barbie's Townhouse w/the elevator - nuff said.....:smokin:

Pair skating at the roller rink....:love:

Hair so feathered it looked like a butt crack in the back!! :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    :heart: :laugh:
    omg big city kitty you are in my head today...I was thinking about this on the drive home from work...so I got this one all set LMBO

I grew up in the little Italy section of city which back then was my universe and seemed sooo safe...today omg...not so much!

When I was young, I felt safe, played out front w/ all the neighborhood kids till the street lights came on...or if parents were outside sitting on the steps or the lawn chairs (on sidewalks) we could stay out later! :wink:

We'd play stick ball w/ a broom stick for a bat and a half a pimple ball or tennis ball, you had to throw it sideways...it took skills to fling it and hit it...lol and make bases on cars, peoples stairs and sewer covers.

Every summer we'd enjoy one or two block parties, where we'd block off our street, and all of the residents would bring out to the street; chairs and picnic tables and bbq's( no gas grills either...charcoal pits), tons of food, like sausages peppers and onions and all kinds of goodies, sometimes a band would play, always music though...and usually at least a few of the adults would get really silly...the vino would flow lol...

We would go on weekend trips almost every weekend to Walden Pond or one of the surrounding beaches to beat the heat and get us kids out of the city...my parents were like the only ones who'd take us and now as an adult I realize wow! they totally rocked!

Saturday mornings were cartoon time!!! and then creature double feature came on at noon and after that we got kicked out of the house! lol...mom's rules...

I had a purple bike w/ a big banana seat and mad yellow and pink flowers on it...lol, then graduated to my first silver ten speed, and a hot pink skateboard and white roller-skates w/ pink wheels and stopper I loved pink and purple lol!

Everyone knew you in the neighborhood, and also knew your parents...so ah no monkey business! lol
    (until we were old enough to be sneaky lol)

the ice cream truck would come everyday after supper

I had the biggest crush on Shawn Cassidy and Andy Gibbs(rip)....loved the monkey's show...but didn't like Davey Jones like all my friends...I liked the goofy Mikey!!

watched Lawrence Whelk w/ my grandmother and me and my brother would dance like bobby and sissy lol ( he still says I owe him for that 30 yrs later lol)

We never had tonic (or soda) my mom would buy from the milkman our 1% Nu form milk..lol and OJ and sometimes we'd have koolaid or Ginger ale as a treat...we'd love going to friends houses that got soda anytime they wanted and come home all jacked up! lol

corner stores were run by neighbors and always had penny candy

I thought bonny bell flavored lip glosses were the best thing ever....I could wear makeup and didnt' get in trouble and it tasted yummy!!!

family dinners w/ my entire family, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles every Sunday after Mass

Everyone would go in early when the Wizard of Oz came on (no cable or tapes then) and my mom would put out the big comforter and pillows, and turn the living room into a big bed lol...make us popcorn we'd all watch as a family:heart:

we'd go to drive ins w/ my parents in our pjs and again homemade popcorn and sometimes soda and candy as treats! woo hoo!

we'd go on mystery rides w/ my dad on weekend nights....even to just drive to another area of the city and see a raccoon diggin in someones trash....those were amazing nights to us kids!

omg...I could go on but I'm most likely boring you all LOL

hugs and great great thread!!!
    I love going down memory lane!
    Ali :flowerforyou:

ALI!!!

Forgot about the drive-ins in the pj's!!!!! Sooooooo freakin fun!!!!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Shannon - I am so glad your Barbie had just as much taste as my Barbie! Ken was too.....metro.