When I was younger...

2»

Replies

• fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    When I was younger

I thought I was cool in Elephant bell bottom levis with converse all star tennis shoes with different colored shoe laces. Now I swear I live in dress clothes (not by choice).

I used to ride my bike all over the freaking place just because I was bored. Now for a workout I ride around the block and collapse.

In HS I could not gain weight for football. Now well I am on this site, nough said.

I never worried about anything. Now I have some many responsibilities.
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    I was embarrassed by my large breasts. - Now after I untuck them & place them (gently) in a suspension bra, I love showing the girls off!! flirt.gif

I did not have breast. Now I am embarrassed by my large breasts.:sad: :sad: :sad: :laugh: ]
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    When I was young, I use to ride my bike and play with neighbors from sun up to sun down with no adult supervision. You just knew to come in before dark. Kids can't do that anymore.
    When I was young, I use to wear my Michael Jackson leather jacket with pride.
    When I was young, I use to wear lots of brown and blue eye shadow (at the same time) and thought I looked good. I finished the look with light blue mascara.
    When I was young, rock shirts like Def Leppard, Metallica and Bon jovi were really in style.
    When I was young, I played Atari and was content to play space invaders (kids these days would be so bored).
    When I was young, I use to sit in the car without a seat belt and my father smoked 5 cigarettes in a 10 minute span with the windows closed.
    When I was young, we use to swim in the lakes without worrying about polluted waters.

:flowerforyou:

OMG while reading that I swear you were talking about me. EVERY BIT OF IT!!! Kinda crazy.:laugh:
  • 2Shoes
    When I was young, I use to ride my bike and play with neighbors from sun up to sun down with no adult supervision. You just knew to come in before dark. Kids can't do that anymore.
    When I was young, I use to wear my Michael Jackson leather jacket with pride.
    When I was young, I use to wear lots of brown and blue eye shadow (at the same time) and thought I looked good. I finished the look with light blue mascara.
    When I was young, rock shirts like Def Leppard, Metallica and Bon jovi were really in style.
    When I was young, I played Atari and was content to play space invaders (kids these days would be so bored).
    When I was young, I use to sit in the car without a seat belt and my father smoked 5 cigarettes in a 10 minute span with the windows closed.
    When I was young, we use to swim in the lakes without worrying about polluted waters.

No wonder, we are the same exact age.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    When I was young, I use to sit in the car without a seat belt

HAHAHAHA ! It's like you were living my life!..

When I was young...
    my mom use to call JEEEEEEEEEEEEENIFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEER to come home, and if I didn't hear her, my aunt 2 houses up from us (all 1 acre apart) would also call JEEEEEEEEENNNNNNIFFFFFFFEEEEERR! I would respond I'M COOOOOOOMIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGG! she would then relay it to my mom. And off I went to dinner!

I use to ride my back far away from home to get ice cream with my friend!

I use to make ribbon barrettes and wear them proudly.

I use to like boys with giant belt buckles that said their "NAME" , tight pants and elephant laces!

I roller skated around my block with stitches on my lip (so I couldn't talk) with a note from my mother that I gave to everyone (I was selling a fundraiser) telling them that I couldn't talk and this is what I was selling. The kicker is... I was wearing a navy blue bodysuit with green shorts with white stripes up the side with rainbow knee socks!!! again with ROLLER SKATES!!!

I use to have to find a PAY PHONE to call my parents and tell them where I was and where I was going.
    and if I didn't I got, "you didn't have a dime! we've been worried sick!"
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    My "Goody" comb sticking out of my 501 jeans was the coolest!!

Tiger Beat magazine - best journalism EVAH!!!!

Barbie secretly liked my brother's G.I. Joe better then Ken. (husssssshhhh) :blushing:

Izod's - collar up :glasses:

Barbie's Townhouse w/the elevator - nuff said.....:smokin:

Pair skating at the roller rink....:love:

Hair so feathered it looked like a butt crack in the back!! :drinker:

oh my God!!!!! Yes to EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! Except I had the Barbie RV!
    and I use to rip out Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, C Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, John Stamos, and put them on my wall!!

Glasses were wayfarers!

WE'RE SHOWING ARE AGES!!
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    omg big city kitty you are in my head today...I was thinking about this on the drive home from work...so I got this one all set LMBO

I grew up in the little Italy section of city which back then was my universe and seemed sooo safe...today omg...not so much!

When I was young, I felt safe, played out front w/ all the neighborhood kids till the street lights came on...or if parents were outside sitting on the steps or the lawn chairs (on sidewalks) we could stay out later! :wink:

We'd play stick ball w/ a broom stick for a bat and a half a pimple ball or tennis ball, you had to throw it sideways...it took skills to fling it and hit it...lol and make bases on cars, peoples stairs and sewer covers.

Every summer we'd enjoy one or two block parties, where we'd block off our street, and all of the residents would bring out to the street; chairs and picnic tables and bbq's( no gas grills either...charcoal pits), tons of food, like sausages peppers and onions and all kinds of goodies, sometimes a band would play, always music though...and usually at least a few of the adults would get really silly...the vino would flow lol...

We would go on weekend trips almost every weekend to Walden Pond or one of the surrounding beaches to beat the heat and get us kids out of the city...my parents were like the only ones who'd take us and now as an adult I realize wow! they totally rocked!

Saturday mornings were cartoon time!!! and then creature double feature came on at noon and after that we got kicked out of the house! lol...mom's rules...

I had a purple bike w/ a big banana seat and mad yellow and pink flowers on it...lol, then graduated to my first silver ten speed, and a hot pink skateboard and white roller-skates w/ pink wheels and stopper I loved pink and purple lol!

Everyone knew you in the neighborhood, and also knew your parents...so ah no monkey business! lol
    (until we were old enough to be sneaky lol)

the ice cream truck would come everyday after supper

I had the biggest crush on Shawn Cassidy and Andy Gibbs(rip)....loved the monkey's show...but didn't like Davey Jones like all my friends...I liked the goofy Mikey!!

watched Lawrence Whelk w/ my grandmother and me and my brother would dance like bobby and sissy lol ( he still says I owe him for that 30 yrs later lol)

We never had tonic (or soda) my mom would buy from the milkman our 1% Nu form milk..lol and OJ and sometimes we'd have koolaid or Ginger ale as a treat...we'd love going to friends houses that got soda anytime they wanted and come home all jacked up! lol

corner stores were run by neighbors and always had penny candy

I thought bonny bell flavored lip glosses were the best thing ever....I could wear makeup and didnt' get in trouble and it tasted yummy!!!

family dinners w/ my entire family, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles every Sunday after Mass

Everyone would go in early when the Wizard of Oz came on (no cable or tapes then) and my mom would put out the big comforter and pillows, and turn the living room into a big bed lol...make us popcorn we'd all watch as a family:heart:

we'd go to drive ins w/ my parents in our pjs and again homemade popcorn and sometimes soda and candy as treats! woo hoo!

we'd go on mystery rides w/ my dad on weekend nights....even to just drive to another area of the city and see a raccoon diggin in someones trash....those were amazing nights to us kids!

omg...I could go on but I'm most likely boring you all LOL

hugs and great great thread!!!
    I love going down memory lane!
    Ali :flowerforyou:

HOLY SMOKES ......it's crazy how all these childhood memories are sooooo similiar! The DRIVE-IN...why did they get rid of those! That was good times! I guess with crime and just this generation in general.....it's all about feeling safe!

The Wizard of Oz Witch scared the bajeebers out of me....and all those flying monkeys!...
    AHHHHH.....Saturday morning cartoons!.....if you didn't get up at 6:00 you missed SCOOBY DOO!

Walking to the store for penny bubble gum....with a dime.....and putting all of it in your mouth so I didn't have to share with my mean ol' brother......and then there were times when he wasn't so mean and we collected every single KISS bubble gum card that created a poster! That was alot of pop bottles we would turn in for 5cents each. Man! I wonder how much that Bubble gum poster would be worth today to some KISS ARMY fan!

And a huge memory for me.....flying "bat" kites! My brother would let that thing out so far that it would look like a dot in the sky and take an hour to real in!

THOSE are some neat memories!:heart:
  • janellybelly
    janellybelly Posts: 112
    When I was younger...

I LOVED to play outside till dusk
    I sold lemonade and home made cookies on the side of the road...and they bought them!
    We only ate out once in a GREAT while
    I LOVED my Barbie dream house & pool!
    P.J. Sparkle was my Fave doll
    Barbie LOVED G.I. Joe too!
    Care Bears
    My little Ponys
    Rainbow Bright was the BEST
    Fraggle Rock..need I say more?
    New Kids on The BLOCK!!!!
    Hair Krimpers, leggings, jean jackets, shirt rings, and blue eye shadow!
    Madonna
    The Oregon trail game
    The REAL Nintendo
    Pizza Dipped in ranch
    Friday night football games
    Volleyball
    Youth Group
    Double movie night @ the drive in
    Couple skate @ the roller rink

Whew...those were all soooooo FUN!!! I miss them...but life now is GREAT!!!

:heart: Janell
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    omg big city kitty you are in my head today...I was thinking about this on the drive home from work...so I got this one all set LMBO

I grew up in the little Italy section of city which back then was my universe and seemed sooo safe...today omg...not so much!

When I was young, I felt safe, played out front w/ all the neighborhood kids till the street lights came on...or if parents were outside sitting on the steps or the lawn chairs (on sidewalks) we could stay out later! :wink:

We'd play stick ball w/ a broom stick for a bat and a half a pimple ball or tennis ball, you had to throw it sideways...it took skills to fling it and hit it...lol and make bases on cars, peoples stairs and sewer covers.

Every summer we'd enjoy one or two block parties, where we'd block off our street, and all of the residents would bring out to the street; chairs and picnic tables and bbq's( no gas grills either...charcoal pits), tons of food, like sausages peppers and onions and all kinds of goodies, sometimes a band would play, always music though...and usually at least a few of the adults would get really silly...the vino would flow lol...

We would go on weekend trips almost every weekend to Walden Pond or one of the surrounding beaches to beat the heat and get us kids out of the city...my parents were like the only ones who'd take us and now as an adult I realize wow! they totally rocked!

Saturday mornings were cartoon time!!! and then creature double feature came on at noon and after that we got kicked out of the house! lol...mom's rules...

I had a purple bike w/ a big banana seat and mad yellow and pink flowers on it...lol, then graduated to my first silver ten speed, and a hot pink skateboard and white roller-skates w/ pink wheels and stopper I loved pink and purple lol!

Everyone knew you in the neighborhood, and also knew your parents...so ah no monkey business! lol

I had the biggest crush on Shawn Cassidy and Andy Gibbs(rip)....loved the monkey's show...but didn't like Davey Jones like all my friends...I liked the goofy Mikey!!

watched Lawrence Whelk w/ my grandmother and me and my brother would dance like bobby and sissy lol ( he still says I owe him for that 30 yrs later lol)

We never had tonic (or soda) my mom would buy from the milkman our 1% Nu form milk..lol and OJ and sometimes we'd have koolaid or Ginger ale as a treat...we'd love going to friends houses that got soda anytime they wanted and come home all jacked up! lol

I thought bonny bell flavored lip glosses were the best thing ever....I could wear makeup and didnt' get in trouble and it tasted yummy!!!

family dinners w/ my entire family, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles every Sunday after Mass

Everyone would go in early when the Wizard of Oz came on (no cable or tapes then) and my mom would put out the big comforter and pillows, and turn the living room into a big bed lol...make us popcorn we'd all watch as a family:heart:

we'd go to drive ins w/ my parents in our pjs and again homemade popcorn and sometimes soda and candy as treats! woo hoo!

we'd go on mystery rides w/ my dad on weekend nights....even to just drive to another area of the city and see a raccoon diggin in someones trash....those were amazing nights to us kids!

This is exactly my childhood. So amazing! Love the flash back. Thanks.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    I loved "you cant do that on television" "punky brewster" "Family Ties' "Growing Pains" Full HOUSE" And it goes on and on..
    Punk hair, leggings...(god what were we thinking)

Jelly shoes and braclets,

tag, hide and seek red rover red rover...

Going to bed at8 and crying...

being home when the street lights were on.. WHAT r thsoe now.....

Having dinner with the family,

Sunday morning breakfast made bye dad

and my fav/.. THE BEST SAT MORN cartoons.... Flintsons.. Saved by the belll... Smurfs Snorks...ect...

LOng live the 80's
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    I loved "you cant do that on television" "punky brewster" "Family Ties' "Growing Pains" Full HOUSE" And it goes on and on..
    Punk hair, leggings...(god what were we thinking)

Jelly shoes and braclets,

tag, hide and seek red rover red rover...

Going to bed at8 and crying...

being home when the street lights were on.. WHAT r thsoe now.....

Having dinner with the family,

Sunday morning breakfast made bye dad

and my fav/.. THE BEST SAT MORN cartoons.... Flintsons.. Saved by the belll... Smurfs Snorks...ect...

LOng live the 80's
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member

OH MY GOODNESS. Yes yes yes.. I would swear you was my age. What wonderful times. Sure do miss em. :cry:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Make up was flavored lip gloss and don't mention anything else until you were 14
    Catching lightening bugs
    Playing in the pool at 10pm praying the bats didn't dive to close
    Standing outside in the middle of a thunderstorm
    Going up to our farm and shooting mistletoe for Christmas and regular target practice
    Answering the phone and not wondering what idiot telemarketer was calling at 9pm
    Leggings
    Being able to walk the 1/2 mile to my horses and not having my parents worry
    Going 4 wheeling and not worrying about the consequences
    Along the lines of braiding the leg hair, the multitude of bandaids I went through on good old fashioned disposable razors growing teeth and attacking my ankles and shins
    PacMan
    Moving the antenae on the roof and tv to get a better reception and tv with only about 10 channels
    TV where if you heard damn or saw too much cleavage was censored.
    Good old fashioned football where you could pulverize the qb and full line fights
    Eating out was a priviledge, not a right and was normally done at the country club, not dial a meal
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Gosh!

SO many memories!

Moving political campaign signs of the republicans to the democrats and vice versa

Atari
    TRS-80
    Commodore Pet
    Commodore VIC 20
    Commodore 64
    Commodore 128
    Apple IIe

Zork
    Defender
    Donkey Kong
    Ultima
    PacMan
    Ms PacMan
    PacMan Jr

Scavenger Hunts

Cruising Down Town!

Sneaking out!

High School Football!

Riding my bike ENDLESSLY! Wrecking without a helmet countless number of times and surviving!

Electric Blue 1979 Camaro Z28 with 350 Small Block and Edelbrock valve covers, intake/exhaust manifold, headers, and holley 4 barrel!

Drive in Theaters! Hopefully they didnt close ours down because we climbed to the top and mooned everyone!

Volleyball - 2's (beach or grass), 6'2 (coaching club ball or playing USVBA)

Chess was for nerds, but if you could beat anyone, you were still cool!

Snowball fights!
  • timisw
    oops... double post!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    We got outraged when gas went over $1.20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still remember (and miss) filling my car up for .99c per gal
  • timisw
    We got outraged when gas went over $1.20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still remember (and miss) filling my car up for .99c per gal

I LOVED $.97 gas!

I used to put a double pumper on my car! I could actually watch the needle move as I drove it!

I only used it for running quartermiles, but it was pretty amazing to watch $20 go so quickly!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member

I LOVED $.97 gas!

I used to put a double pumper on my car! I could actually watch the needle move as I drove it!

I only used it for running quartermiles, but it was pretty amazing to watch $20 go so quickly!

Man. When I started driving gas was like .45 a gallon. You could put 2 bucks in and drive all night.
  • 2Shoes

I LOVED $.97 gas!

Man. When I started driving gas was like .45 a gallon. You could put 2 bucks in and drive all night.

God I miss those days. I remember when I first started driving it was $.88 !! Now, it's hard to even believe how high it is. I never in a million years would have thought it would be so high.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    LOL...I remember being in the back seat of one of our many station wagons as a kid and hearing my father grumble about ".79 for regular!!! highway robbery!!!".....he's lookin' down from heaven now shakin his head I'm sure....4.00 bucks a gallon....:grumble: now I do the grumblin!!!