HG Cookbook

Options
2»

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the HG stuff. I've looked at the website and all the recipies look so...plastic?

It just seems like nothing is made with real food. Everything is fat free and faux. Maybe it's living in Australia for five years which has less of everything having a fat free, low carb option. I just have the idea that through dieting I should learn to eat healthier real food in moderation. For example, reduced fat cheese, yes - fat free cheese, no.

Maybe it's just me. lol

I have the book and enjoy some of the recipes but I have to agree. Too many of the recipes involve food substitutes. The recipes are definitely low calorie, the soups and chopped salads are great and there are some good ideas for desserts. They use a lot of "Fiber One" cereal to faux fry things. i haven't tried it yet. I did however, like the shirake noodles, but had to "doctor" the recipe. They were ok, not great, but a good low-cal substitute for when I've run low on calories. I tried the butternut squash fries and found them very disappointing. In truth, potatoes would have worked better and not been much higher in calories. They also continuously sub soy for meat and egg beaters for eggs....the real thing is not much more calories.

Bottom line: mixed review...some good recipes, some bad. Disappointed in the "fake food" substitues. If you are someone who avoids artificial sweeteners, they use them in a LOT of recipes.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Well dang....
    I avoid fake food all together if I can.
    Don't get me wrong....I can eat out of a box...if I HAVE to....but stuff like processed cheese... tofu....weirds me out a bit.

I guess, I'll just have to seek out another book. :frown:
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    Well dang....
    I avoid fake food all together if I can.
    Don't get me wrong....I can eat out of a box...if I HAVE to....but stuff like processed cheese... tofu....weirds me out a bit.

I guess, I'll just have to seek out another book. :frown:

I am going to get this one tonight :Devin Alexanders "The Most Decadent Diet Ever"

I'll let you know what I think!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I saw that one while I was looking too, but didn't stop to check it out.

I am kinda a comfort food type....so I don't get into fancy cooking for myself. :smile:

I'd love to know what you think of it though.