How much weight did you lose your first week on MFP?

Options
Inpjs66
Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
I would like to get some feed back from some of you with how much weight you lost your first week joining, how many calories you are allowed and if you exercise or not.

I read that some gain weight and I am not sure I could handle that as I have been trying so hard.

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I lost about 4 lbs my first week, I get 1200 calories a day (I'm a shortie at 5 ft 1) and I needed to lose about 30 lbs. I did some light walking in the first week I believe.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    just 1lb i have 30 + to go :-s was a bit gutted cos loads of people who started same time as me were losing 4lbs etc
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    First week doesn't really count, if you ask me. Change in diet causes most people to shed water right off the bat. I lost about 7 lbs in my first week but I am not too impressed with that. The real test will be after the first month or so. If you know you are doing what you are supposed to be doing then I wouldn't worry about what the scale says after only one week. Give it time and it will go down even if you have a slight gain the first week. Good luck on your journey!
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lb in my 1st week, but the weight loss slows down after :(
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I lost 1 lb, which is my goal every week.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ditto...the first week went FAST for me... I lost like 6-8 lbs. BUT that doesn't last very long, :ohwell:
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    About 5 lbs the first week, couple the next week, then about 1 the rest of the time. Now about a couple a month. Your daily cals change as you loose weight. I think I started at around 1300, I am now 1230 plus exercise cals. Exercise everyday no matter what.
  • NicoleL83
    NicoleL83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I lost one pound. But that is probably due to the fact I didn't exercise because I had a cold which unfortunalty did not affect my eating
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    i lost 3 pounds my first week and i was OVER my calories almost every day!!! (goes to show you how much i was overeating before I became aware) as it's my second week and i actually came under my calories for the first time yesterday, it will be interesting to see what happens at the end of week 2
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I lost 1 pound my first week and that was pretty much just from counting calories. I was recovering from a medical condition and wasn't able to exercise at all, so I just focused on keeping my caloric intake low and staying without the suggested BMR for my height/weight ratio! This is only my second week with MFP, but I've been able to start exercising again and I can only imagine the weightloss will be more this week!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    First week doesn't really count, if you ask me. Change in diet causes most people to shed water right off the bat. I lost about 7 lbs in my first week but I am not too impressed with that. The real test will be after the first month or so. If you know you are doing what you are supposed to be doing then I wouldn't worry about what the scale says after only one week. Give it time and it will go down even if you have a slight gain the first week. Good luck on your journey!

Your post is on the money.

I would go further and say the first couple of weeks doesn't give you enough to go on and the true test is your overall loss after 3-4 weeks. Some people lose tremendous amounts, some people gain (if they are exercising hard and their muscles are retaining fluid) some people stay static in the first few weeks. It is only once your body has had sufficient time to register the change in calorie levels etc that you get a a proper reflection of where you are going.
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    1. weight loss isn't as important as overall health - this is supposed to be a lifestyle change for lasting results.

2. I always lose quickly when I start logging my food on any type of program but it tapers off to about 1 lb per week.

3. I lost 6.4 lbs on week 1, but i know that will decline to about 1 lb per week... before MFP I was drinking over 1000 calories daily in flavored coffee!! YEAH. 1000 calories... daily.... in flavored coffee.... guess that dolce gusto I got for Christmas was bad for my wasitline!! I'm on about 1200 calories daily at 5'8" and a start weight of 216. I don't freak over the little red numbers - I go over some days (usually by about 100 calories or so, but still over) I try hard not to go under because starvation mode hits me hard!!
  • anewme58
    Options
    I lost 4 pounds! If that's fat, water or air - I lost it and feel better in my jeans. I use 1200 calories. As for exercise, I walked briskly a few days, snow shoed, and did that wii dance game which was a lot of fun. I definitely don't expect such a big loss next week. I intend to start adding some strength exercises. For me, it's all a process of small steps. If I try to do everything from the get go - I'll start to feel overwhelmed. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 and was abit gutted but I thought i'd take my measurments too so I could really see what's happening, a loss is a loss keep going that's all I can say x
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    I also lost big in my first week. 6lbs. And 1lb this week :)

I'm 168lbs, 5'4", have an allowance of 1,360 calories and exercise at least 4 times a week :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 pounds my first week. I started at 295 though, and most of it was water weight.
  • mayana2002
    Options
    Last week was my first week on diet and exercise and I lost 5 lbs. I know I will lose less from now on (most of the weight lost was water). It is OK, I will keep it up! :)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week and sure enough I lost 2 lbs my first week. I don't want to lose too fast because that is how people get sagging skin. I get 1200 calories a day. That is the bare minimum that anyone is supposed to get so I stay in between 1200-1350 calories.
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    I lost nothing but second week I lost 2 pounds.... :)
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    just 1lb i have 30 + to go :-s was a bit gutted cos loads of people who started same time as me were losing 4lbs etc

It depends what is the starting weight for those who have lost 4 lbs the first week. If you weigh 140lbs vs 240 lbs...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!