I AM SO HUNGRY!!!

Options
I am really having a hard time with this. I find myself so hungry and I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am 5'6, CW 160, GW: 130. With working full time and being a full time mother to 4 young children, getting to a gym, etc is almost impossible. I started eating breakfast, oatmeal and glass of milk or egg beaters with english muffin, peanut butter and milk. I take a sack of goodies to work: celery, apple or orange, granola bar and carrots. I take a frozen lunch usually around 230 calories and dinner varies depending on how many calories I have left. I am still starving most of the day. I did not used to eat a breakfast, nor have snacks available so I do not know what it is. I find myself raiding the machines. When I get home and eat dinner (usually around 200-300 calories) I am still starving. Someone mentioned that it could be because it was my time of month. I hope so. Today I ate 1700 calories and should be only 1300. If I continue to eat like this (starving right now) than I am going to only get fatter. Please help me! What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• jenricher
    Options
    This was my day too. I was starving as well! my time of the month too i hope that rumor is true!
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When i first started, it was tough, my stomach would growl but after my second day, it stopped growling. I guess it was playing tricks on me. I eat less now and my stomach does not growl. But I do eat protein like once or twice a day, mostly veggies and oatmeal with spenda. oh and snack away all you want on the sugar-free popcicles :) yumm they are a live saver when you feel something sweet or just to snack.

:)

Add me if you want :)
  • heidiscool
    Options
    It sounds like you are a little low in protein. If you up your protein a little more you will feel satiated longer. I recommend low sodium luncheon meat or a good protein bar (Pure Protein has 20g of protein). I always do about 40g more than the protein goal and I have been losing about 2 lbs a week.
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I've had days like this. It seems to be better if I make my breakfast bigger (more cals) than my lunch. But being a non-breakfast person, that's easier said than done, usually. I like to think it's just bc my body is still adjusting to all this "frequent healthy snacking."
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water. Distract yourself. Find more satisfying foods (best done by trial and error).

I find that for the first week or so of eating fewer calories, my stomach needs to shrink back down so that I can feel fuller faster. It does go away eventually. Stay strong and hopefully in a couple of days, you'll be feeling more full! :smile:
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I can relate to this. I learned today that we should eat six little meals every two hours.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    haha, it seems to be that all of us women are ravenously hungry during our TOM. Wait and see how you feel when it's over. Maybe start eating a lot of low cal foods.. Or treat yourself to a little of a bad thing, that way you may feel less deprived..
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    High fiber and high protein...or so others have said. It could be due to TOM as well. I don't know how much water your drinking, but that really helps me. I just read a study too that said people who drank at least 2 glasses of water before a meal, lost more weight than those that didn't. I've been trying to stick to this, and drinking lots and lots of water. It really seems to help me.

I also try to plan my meal out every day. That way I know what my calories are before I eat them. Makes me feel like I hold myself a little more accountable. Try eating lots of low-cal healthy foods. Skip out on the processed sugar...

I'm still getting used to all of this, and haven't lost much weight on my newest adventure, but these are thing that others have toldme.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Double posted...dang.
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? Look for stuff that will last (keep you satisfied)...higher in fiber things...also if you are exercising more you need to make sure you are eating enough :) Good luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would say up your calories to 1800-1900 exchange that processed lunch for a spinach salad with grilled or baked chicken breast and a light dressing with some unsalted nuts on top or make some soups from lentils and veggies and chicken....u could make in bulk like every three days...or freeze it....main thing is dont go willy nilly with calories stay structured until you find what works..invest in some dvd's for at home work outs if you want to do something quiet "walk away the pounds" is GREAT and wont wake the kids you could try it when they sleep in the evening...good luck 2011..
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am finding that if I keep my water bottle with me at all times, I drink to take the edge off. I also make sure I have a mid morning, mid afternoon, and mid evening low carb, low fat snack.
  • ybelen
    ybelen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my stomach would growl too, but i would drink water when I felt like that, and then i would think about the food that i would put in my mouth and what I wanted to look like. It will get better as the weeks go by
  • AppleBottomJeans
    Options
    I'm hungry right now! this is what i do, surf the site for a while seeking motivation (and hoping the feeling passes). Sipping hot tea helps me. If after 30 minutes I'm still hungry I tell myself the cheese if off-limits, but I can have any veggies I want. (that usually sorts out the real hunger from the sugar cravings) and I remind myself that nothing tastes as good as looking sexy! ;) This late at night though, I am just gonna go to sleep an dream about breakfast.
  • butterfly1210
    butterfly1210 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and fiber rich foods. Whole grain breads, egg whites, almonds... add a slice or two of turkey with your veggie snacks or a teaspoon of peanut butter. That is what gets me through the day. Oroweat Health Full bread is full of grains and fiber and is only 80 calories a slice. Try to stay away from those frozen meals as much as possible too because they are high in sodium and that can have an ill effect or on your efforts. And maybe your BMI (?) is more than 1300 calories... maybe try 1400 calories and watch your sodium intake and drink lots of water. Water is a great way to fill up. Sometime I do the Crystal Light carry packs and it satisfies my sweet tooth and fills me up.

Good luck and hang in there... don't give up! It might take you time to figure out but be patient with yourself and just find the right thing that works for you.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    Usually, when I'm hungary I try to chew some gum. It makes my brain think that I'm eating. I also try to drink a lot of water through out the day to keep myself "full". Now, this is just me and how I try to curb some of the hunger. But, you might want to try it to see if it works for you too.
  • punkin227
    punkin227 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So,I'm in the same boat! Here's what's helped some. I've recently learned that the body has a similar response to thirst that it does hunger. If you feel like you're starving when you know you've had food/snacks, try drinking a whole bottle of water. I find it easier to drink the whole thing in a few minutes because I get distracted and won't finish it. Wait 5 minutes after drinking a bottle of water and see if your "hungries" go away. I've also had to cut back on my diet coke too because it seemed to make me want to eat too. It's actually helped me quite a bit.
  • leastwood
    Options
    for the first time ever, I am not hungry. I started eating something small every 2 hours. I work so at first it was hard, but it soon became a pattern, averaging break times. I do not have time in the mornings to really eat breakfast, (except this week). I usually eat a banana while driving to work, clean neat, and full of nutrition and fiber. then 2 hours later I eat an apple. at lunch, I eat a salad, and raw veggies, again, lots of nutriention and fiber. afternoon break I eat another piece of fruit, pear or orange, etc. I always put somehting in the crockpot every morning, so when I walk in the door after work, it is ready! I try to plan out every thing, so that I am prepared. I do not make good choices when I am hungry, so I try to stay ahead of it! Fail to plan, plan to fail!
    Don't give up. You will find what works for you.
  • jenrogerspm
    Options
    You'll get used to it...try drinking tea or anything hot because you have to sip it and it takes longer to eat/drink. Also eating low calorie bulky foods so you can eat a lot. Like salads and subway. The formula does work...it's simple math...eat less and you will lose weight...move more and you'll lose even quicker. Good Luck :)
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I find that I am hungry too. I just started last week. However it is not that time of the month for me. I'm hoping it's because I've been eating so many extra calories that my stomach is not used to eating so few calories (or the amount of calories I should be eating) Im hoping that once my stomach "shrinks" to where it should be those hungry feelings will go away. So right now I'm just trying to bear thru it. I've been doing some reading on other message boards and they say too that you should try drinking more water.

Those are my thoughts. Maybe someone else has some answers