Carbs and Pain...is there a connection?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knows of a connectionbetween carb intake and increased pain. I have a considerable amount of pain all the time, mostly joints...knees, hips, ankles, and such. I have been cutting back on carbs, with yesterday being very low and I felt pretty good all day and slept pain free last night. I do get fairly regular exercise by pushing through the pain but am tired of living on ibuprofin & tylenol....it is so bad for a body. Help please!!:cry:

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking.
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know about carbs but I saw something about gluten and sugar and since my body is filled with pain as well, I'm seriously thinking about it.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I had heard something about processed carbs causing an inflammatory response in the body. Inflammation = pain. Or, in my case, edema. I digress... I'm not sure about whole grains. I can get by with eating small amounts of whole grains as well as legumes, yogurt, and fruit. It's certainly worth looking into.Research it. In the mean time, if cutting carbs helps, I say go for it. No sense in hurting.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should probably talk to your dr. BUT, yes, excess carbs can cause inflammation in many parts of your body. I'm not an expert but I have been seeing a nutritionist and have followed a primal eating plan for 6 months and feel I have learned alot. Primal is low-carb by default b/c you cut out all things processed, including bread and pasta and refined sugars... low-carb, clean foods, high healthy fat and lean protein and lots of fruits and veggies, nuts and no chemicals. I have never felt better and I'm down over 50 lbs! Last winter I had a bad bout of tendonitis in my foot and underwent 4 months of therapy. I also had headaches and other pain, all of which are gone now. Good luck to you!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yep, Humans were never designed to run on carbs as a main fuel that is why you get the inflamatory bloated feeling after eating carbs... Read "The Primal Blueprint" for more info.
  • narrowdoor
    narrowdoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great feedback ~ Thank you!!
  • narrowdoor
    Options
    And yes I have spoken with docs about it, have been suffering with pain for years (10+) and their suggestion is always physical therapy, which even after about 4 months I feel worse. I had one doc scribe a pain med that made me completely sick...I don't have a lot of faith in medical advice any more...Back to the basics, we are designed a certain way and our current lifestyles and eating habits are not part of the original design. For now I just do research ( my new best friend), chiropractic care, and exercise...as much as I can stand :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    yes! when i eat too many carbs (over 120 or so grams), my body is in pain. if i keep my carbs reasonable (around 100 grams), i am pain-free. good luck experimenting with what will make you feel the best!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    YOu might want to look at the book UltraMetabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman and look into the issue of processed carbohydrates and inflammation.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options

The problem is that most doctors will try to prescribe something She should look for a naturopath or a doctor who specializes in functional medicine
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

The problem is that most doctors will try to prescribe something She should look for a naturopath or a doctor who specializes in functional medicine

Agree that she needs to be a strong advocate for herself with the doc to make sure unnecessary meds are not prescribed. The symptoms she describes could be many things, some of which she might want to get treated for immediately (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc.) Since she has been working with a doctor, these hopefully have been ruled out and it is safe for her to try going low-carb to see if that helps. The level of pain she is describing is decidedly not normal (not even for me, and I have rheumatoid arthritis), and it isn't something that should ONLY have the attention of a group of strangers on the internet. Sounds like she is covered.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how many carbs you are getting per day. It could be your body getting ready to go into ketosis which is the mild fat burning stage in which your body burns fat. My carbs are under between 80-85 gm a day the first 5 days of getting there are tough, but after that it in an energy blast off.. And the first week I lost 9 lbs. During that first 5 days headaches and fatigue and general aches and pains are expected.. If you not sure I would see a physcian Medications ie anti inflammatories can actually cause you to retain fluid as well.. Drink at a minumum of 4 extra 8 oz cup of H20 when taking those medicaions. Hope you find some answers but more importanly some relief.

Laurie
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If your carbs are wheat based or have gluten in them there could definitely be a connection. Have you been tested for celiac disease? Celiac has many indicators of inflammation on the same scale as lupus and rhumatoid arthritis. When my so gets wheat exposed, we notice it first in his leg cramps and bones/body aching.

You may also try a yeast or parasite cleanse.
  • narrowdoor
    Options
    Thanks again all....Great info here!!
  • amybella123
    amybella123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut gluten out 2 weeks ago..my chronic joint pain is better!! And I switched hubby's diet and he just commented on it the other day his neck doesnt hurt as bad. My stomach pains are gone too and i'm more regular..if you catch my drift. All that gluten and carb cant be good for us...its in everything..sometimes ketchup etc..to thicken things.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a connectionbetween carb intake and increased pain. I have a considerable amount of pain all the time, mostly joints...knees, hips, ankles, and such. I have been cutting back on carbs, with yesterday being very low and I felt pretty good all day and slept pain free last night. I do get fairly regular exercise by pushing through the pain but am tired of living on ibuprofin & tylenol....it is so bad for a body. Help please!!:cry:

I have significant joint pain when I eat a lot of wheat.

Maybe it's not carbs in general (which you do need.), but the types of carbs being ingested.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

LMAO, naturopaths? Why not go for something evidence based vs naturopathic voodoo?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Processed carbs yes.. msg causes joint pain. You could have a gluten intolerance as well, I've heard people with gluten intolerance of pain.. so breads, pasta's, etc. Anything with wheat. High acid foods can cause joint pain as well.. like red meat, pork, even chicken at times.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree that not carbs themselves are the problem, but possibly you have gluten problems or problems with certain sugars. It's worth a trip to the doctor to see if there's something to it.