Myth or Fact? Simple Math: 3500 calories = one pound? Eat

Options

Replies

• julieinomaha
    Options
    thank you!! that is exactly the information and advise I was looking for. I am 10 lbs from ultimate target weight and needed to fine tune my program and actions to get that last 10 off. I appreciate the technical details so I understand it better.
  • pudd1e
    pudd1e Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I mean no personal offense, but this is plagiarism. This is practically word for word (aside from switching out a word here or there or slight alteration of sentence structure) and portrayed as your own personal opinion on the matter, without proper credit given to the original author. Tom Venuto originally wrote about this in his book, where he discusses his thoughts on the same study, which I have linked below:

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3500-calories-to-lose-a-pound-is-this-formula-all-wrong-237.html

You can also just google "3500 Calories To Lose A Pound… Is This Formula All Wrong?" and find this part of his book. Please know that I have nothing personally against you at all or any problem with any of the information posted; I just feel that proper credit should be given. My apologies if any offense is taken from my post.

Good catch:)
  • kabakken
    kabakken Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • FoodMage
    Options
    Bumping for links.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Weight loss gets trickier as you get smaller, you need few calories even to maintain and creating a deficit is a balancing act. It's all well and good to have theories, guidelines and rules of thumb bit we're not all the same. I know I would gain weight if I ate anywhere near 2000 calories and would only need 1400 to maintain, tops. Therefore I am not concerned about any mythical 'starvation mode', I have had trouble losing weight before but now I realise it was simply because, by following the 'rules' I was not cutting calories enough to lose any more. It's important to remember that they don't know as much as they like us all to believe and the numbers rarely even vaguely match up if you go by the widely accepted theory.
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    top info :)
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    NIce info
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well Done.......We need more "Good Reads" to digest.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love it!:flowerforyou:
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Love the info.
  • hibiscus89
    hibiscus89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Read this for more info as well. A few things to add - I admit I didnt read everyone's responses so it may have been mentioned.

It's typical to lose 20-30% (or more) of LBM on an extended diet (even if you are lifting weights and eating high protein).

Here's a more scientific article.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sehatmand
    Options
    Thank you.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bump, i need to do my math and see how this applies to me.