Is your food diary public or private?

Options
I read somewhere on here - I forget which thread it was now - that some people whose diaries are public may not be honest with what they are documenting, because they know other people are reading them.

What I want to know, as a newbie, is this - is it better to have my food diary public and open to scrutiny, or private so only I know what I've had to eat and drink? Is it more motivating to know others can read it it, or am I more likely to fake the results so it looks good?

Your thoughts would be appreciated - I want to get this right.

Replies

• MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I think your diary should be private. Sometimes I have something like marshmallows or even a cupcake. This is not every day mind you, but maybe once every few weeks. I can count these and be ok. I don't think I would feel very good logging this for everybody to read. I can stay in my calories and still lose weight, but these are empty calories. I think it really is a personal chioce, but that was my decision.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    Mine is public, but I have yet to receive any type of criticism for it. When I look at other public food diaries I don't look to scrutinize but to get ideas for meals/snacks/etc.

Entering incorrect data or "faking it" only hurts yourself in the long run, because you'll forget that you lied and wonder why you aren't receiving the results that your entered data projects.

Just my $.02 but I'm sure others have different feedback!
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Mine was private to begin with but I made it public and I fill it in truthfully as I would only be cheating myself if I lied in it :)
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I think it's a judgment call on your side. Mine was public and then I actually found myself not entering because I knew others WOULD be seeing it. So I set it to private so I'd be honest with myself.

Some might see that as backwards. You have to decide what will work for you. Not much help maybe....sorry... :(
  • luvmypoochie
    Options
    Hi there, I am a newbie as well. My setting is that my friends can view my food diary. I joined along with a girlfriend, so I thought it would be nice for her (and any other friends I make along the way) to be able to view my food intake and offer suggestions. For example my friend is my motivator, I learn so much from her, so being able to view her foods will greatly help me in my journey! Good Luck to you on your journey too!

3922051.png
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I changed my to be public to everyone. Knowing I have to put everything down and someone might look at it, makes me think about my choices. But I'm very honest on there too. If I'm not honest, the only person I'm hurting is myself, and it would be very apparent.

I like to see other's food diarys. It gives me ideas on what to eat if I'm getting in a rut and bored. I hope I give other's some great ideas too and they get something out of it.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just made mine public. I feel bad when I have to put something in that isn't good for me and if i know that other people can see it and judge (at least in my mind) then I will try to avoid that if at all possible. i wouldn't fake it as I would feel that I was cheating myself and probably not even bother with logging it if I were going that ruute.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I leave it open to my friends only. They can view it or choose not to. Typically no one gives their two cents unless I ask for it. So just make sure not to go over your calories by 2000 every day and then post a topic asking why you aren't losing? LOL! Either way it's totally up to you babe. Just keep YOU accountable and be honest with YOU. That's what truly matters. :)
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Mine's public, but to be honest that is more for other people to have a nose and pass on some comments/tips which are constructive and helpful. I don't lie in my food diary as it won't get me anywhere (to be honest, lying to myself about what I've eaten got me here in the first place so dont see the point in continuing to lie as I won't change!!)

xxx
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Mine's public and I'm honest on it. I like getting called out.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mine is only available to my friends to view. Like another poster said, you should be honest with what you eat regardless of if you're diary is public or private. You're only hurting yourself if you aren't honest about what you eat. I think that is what got some of us in trouble with our weight gain in the first place. We were lying to ourselves and others about what and how much we were actually eating.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for friends. I dont want EVERYONE to see it, but i do want my friends to see it. When i eat something bad i usually rant about it to them:D
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    mine is public. i love that because i'm an honest person so i don't alter it for anyone. and it makes me accountable for what i eat and drink that day.

it is also good to get encouragement on your food and not just exercise. very motivational! :bigsmile:
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if someone knows what I'm eating, personally. It's just at whatever the default is. Though I may be more descriptive with that I'm eating so people know there is fresh veggies, etc.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mine was private...but then I went public! I wanted some feedback and input from others who had been at this for a while, and could give me suggestions to help me along. I find that I am completely honest in what I enter, and that it gives me more of a push to eat better. I have never gotten any criticism...even on the days when I had cookie dough! Everything in moderation, is my motto!

It's a completely personal decision and you need to do what you think is best.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Mine's public and I'm honest on it. I like getting called out.

i second this. i think keeping it public makes me MORE honest instead of less. i have people other than myself to be accountable to and i'm going to be honest, if i go over from something really bad for me i WANT a slap on the hand.

also i personally feel like people who's diaries are closed have something to hide. "why wouldnt you show your diary?are you eating crap food?" is my go to response when i cant see someone's. :ohwell: but maybe thats just me.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mine is public and I'm honest about what I enter. I find that knowing other people can see it and that I will log it keeps me accountable.
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Public! It makes me more accountable for what I eat. For me, if it's private - then I want to be sneaky and eat crap anyways...like I have been doing the last 30 years. But if it's public - then anyone can see it, and I am less likely to go over!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends (though it's not like I ever "limit" my friends list). I totally understand both strategies - whatever you feel is right for you is best - whatever will keep you honest AND help you make good choices.

For me, it helps keep me a little more aware of choices. Not because I'll get called out, but because I want others to see REALITY. I'm not perfect. I indulge occasionally. I get lazy some days. And on those days, I try to comment about it and let people know I'm aware of those things.

And I think it's helpful for other people, especially those who are just learning about nutrition, to see other people's diaries. Gives them ideas and helps them see some of the things that can help with specific things, like boosting protein naturally.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :laugh: Wow, interesting responses.
    I would never presume to tell someone else what to do - if you learn anything at all from this site, it's that you just do what works for you - but I would say choose to do whatever will keep you honest!!!

I didn't quite 'get' how the site worked when I first joined, but a lot of the interaction and support on the News Feeds are comments/responses to when you close your diary for the day, log exercise, etc. At first I kept my diary private b/c I thought I would be tempted to cheat if it was public of there would be judgements about the 1200 allotment (I'm 5'-0"), but then I realized that IF I EAT DOUBLE MY CALORIES FOR THE DAY, I ATE 'EM.
    Not logging or not logging in public doesn't change that!! :laugh:

You should just do what is comfortable for you - ! I eventually decided that for me, it's rather unsporting to look at other people's food diaries and not reciprocate, so my pals can see my diary. I look in other people's diaries not for comparison, but rather for food ideas, etc. There are amazing people on this site that share recipes, etc.

Good luck on reaching your goals! :flowerforyou: