Filling Dinner Under 300?

Options
2»

Replies

• morteng
    Options
    Cauliflower Cous Cous (makes two servings)

Comes in Per Serving: kcal 299 carbs 30 fat 18 protein 12 fiber 12

Recipe lifted completely from blog The Clothes Make The Girl http://theclothesmakethegirl.blogspot.com/2009/09/eat-your-vegetables-cauliflower.html

Ingredients:
    1 large head of fresh cauliflower
    1/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 a small onion or 1/4 large)
    2 tablespoons pine (pignola) nuts
    2 tablespoons raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped dried apricots
    1 tablespoon olive oil, separated into two 1.5-teaspoon servings
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Note: I used pine nuts, but walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and pecans would all be very tasty. Mix it up and see what you like best!

1. Make the Fouscous.
    Wash the cauliflower and break it into florets. Cut off the stem part. The stems can be chewy and unpleasant, and they don't cooperate with the food processor. The processing of the cauliflower has to be done in batches to get the right consistency. Sorry! If you want deliciousness, you're gonna have to do a little work.

Place a handful of florets in a food processor and PULSE until the cauliflower looks like couscous. (If you don't know what I mean, look at this.) Dump that batch into a bowl and repeat until all of the florets have been reduced to cauliflower dust. Measure about 3 cups for now, and put the rest in the fridge for later.

2. Prep the cauliflower.
    Place the 3 cups of cauliflower in a microwave-safe dish and nuke for 5-7 minutes. It should be pretty tender. Set aside. The annoying prep work is almost done.

3. Sautée the onions.
    Heat 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. When it starts to shimmer, add the onions and dried fruit, if you're going that way. (And I recommend you do... like, plan your other fruit that day around this pilaf. For real. Or leave the fruit out if you must. I made this without the pine nuts and fruit in a pinch, and it was almost as good.)

Sautée the onions and nuts and fruit over medium-ish heat until the onions and nuts begin to brown. Be gentle and give them time. The natural sugars in the onions will carmelize into a deep, rich flavor.

4. Add the spices and cauliflower.
    Mix the spices together in a little cup. To replace their fabulousness, they need to be in embraced by some fat, so here's what you do: Push the onions to the side of the pan, and add the remaining 1.5 teaspoons of oil. Let it heat up a bit, then add the spices and stir stir stir everything together: onions, nuts, oil, spices, all co-mingling in happy harmony. When things get all fragrant, toss in the cauliflower and stir stir stir. Sprinkle the whole shebang with salt and pepper. Stir stir stir.

5. Eat! Oooh! Aaah!
    Revel in your vegetable awesomeness. Maybe even feel slightly superior to people still making their pilaf with rice, bulgur, or couscous. (That's just SO Bactrian).

I've eaten this alongside a grilled chicken breast, as a bed under grilled and sliced chicken thighs, nestled next to a somewhat sad turkey burger found in the back of the freezer and heated in a pan while I growled that I really didn't buy enough protein at the store this time. Each meal was elevated by the Cauliflower Fouscous Pilaf. I hope you like it, too! (Next time I make it, I'm topping it with a pile of ground lamb sauteed with pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and parsley.)
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    If I'm light on calories I will have a bowl of oatmeal (1 Cup Serving) with some fruit - very filling! I like to have deli meat on hand for this reason as well. I use the Oscar Mayer packaged deli meats (I know a lot of people have issues with Deli Meat, but its better than some alternatives!) I put about 4 slices of the roasted chicken breast on an Arnold Sandwich thin, add a slice of swiss cheese, baby spinach and yellow mustard. Pair it with carrot sticks or celery sticks and you have a light filling meal.

your making me hungery! LOL
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    How about pasta: Spanakopita Orzo to more specific: I got this recipe from here and it is from Rachel Ray.
    Spanakopita Orzo - 165 calories per serving!
    1/2 1lb orzo pasta, cooked
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
    1/2 cup vegetable stock
    3 cups spinach, divided
    1 cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
    1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add in garlic and onions, cook 5 min or until tender. Meanwhile in a food processor, combine vegetable stock and 2 cups spinach; process until smooth. Once onions and garlic are tender, add in spinach mixture and stir until heated through (About 30 seconds). Remove from heat and add in cooked orzo, remaining spinach and feta cheese.

This makes 8 1/3 cup servings.

Per Serving
    Calories 165, Carbs 23, Fat 5, Protein 8, Fiber 1, Sodium 280

You can add a low cal meat, steak, chicken cubed and marinated in olive oil, lemon, herbs and garlic (Suovlaki). Greek food is very healthy. I tried this Saturday and it was yummy. So said the whole family,
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'll second the eggs idea - you can saute some vegetables with 0 cal/fat cooking spray and if you use Egg Beaters (or store brand), it's only about 30 calories per serving..
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm making lettuce wraps with ground turkey tonight and they're under 300 calories. :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Allrecipies.com will let you search for recipes under 300 calories--just put in whatever you're craving (beef? chicken? rice? soup? whatever) and it will come back with recipes with that ingredient that are under 300 cals. It's so great to be able to search this way!

I didn't know that! That's awesome.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lentils are my new best friend. Easy to cook as rice, but packed with fiber and protein, so you'll feel full longer.
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yummm all i can think about is cous cous now haha
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I just made this delicious meal

It's called jamaican jerk chicken,
    I cut up chicken breast, Browned it up and threw in 1/3 cup each corn, diced tomatoes and balck beans, some jamaican jerk seasoning (Simmer until it is all cooked) and served it over a baked sweet potato. Very filling and yummy, low cal, high fiber.
  • tiddlyjinx
    tiddlyjinx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just made a chicken salad sandwich 2 pieces of whole wheat toast for 260 calories. It was very filling
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Two bean tacos in hard shells.

Go without cheese but have avocado, lettuce, tomatoes and black beans (not refried). Top with green salsa and YUM!
  • caroline1851
    Options
    It's too late to make this now, but another day. :) Put 3 chicken breasts in a crockpot with a can of corn (drained), a can of black beans (drained) and a jar of salsa. That's it. Awesome!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Betty Crocker Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. 230 calories, very yummy and filling!!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungry Girl's "3-ingredient" shepherd's pie. When I make it I add a lot more spices and seasonings to all the ingredients. I add some onion powder, gralic powder and cayenne to the crumbles, some Cajun spice to the veggies and then a a touch of chili powder or seasoning salt to the mashed potatoes, depending on how spicy I want it that night. Obviously I like spice, but you can add whatever spices and seasonings you want.

Also, after baking it in the oven for the recommended time, I add a serving size worth of Weight Watchers Double Cheddar cheese sprinkled all over the top and put it under the broiler until it's golden and crispy.

But when you make it in an 8x8 baking pan, with the addition of the cheese and spices, you can have an entire quarter of the pan for about 240 calories. And you get a protein, veggies and your starch in that one easy serving. The hubby loves it and loves that he can have half a pan for only 480 calories. lol I usually eat 1/4 of the pan for dinner and then pack up my other 1/4 to take for lunch the next day.
  • resahollywood
    Options
    I go for the eggs (whites) and veggies OR........FISH TACOS! If you use a light Flatouts (90 cal) you can make two by cutting in half! I add coleslaw mix, chopped jicama, raw jalapeno sliced very thin, and then my dressing of choice. Sometimes I go for light honey mustard, sometimes tarter sauce and sometimes coleslaw dressing. It is crunchy and cool all in one! Top it off with a squeeze of lime for that last flavor kick.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Two packs of low-sodium tuna (140cals) 2tbsp light olive oil mayo (70 cal) diced onion/celery to taste (adds cals, but no more than 20) salt and pepper to taste. Then I use a head of romaine, using the leaves (about 150g) as boats for the tuna! Crunchy and delicious and about 250 cals. My 8yo declared it was awesome and at similar (salmon, 1 pack only, less mayo, no celery or onions, but still on romaine boats) as the main part of her lunch today.