what jean size would you consider....

Options

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    Im same as spacecase/dancer! haha good topic...nothing like a gr8 pair of abercrombie jeans to remind me why im doing this again! sorry, but for me, vanity is a totally motivating if superfluous character trait :)
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i just dont feel skinny!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said, it really depends on a lot of factors. I am unhealthily large wearing the same jean size that my sister used to wear at a healthy weight. (She's now underweight, and wears my old jeans from before I started packing on the pounds.) It depends on your height, your build, how you carry your weight (some people are just naturally more "hippy" than others), etc. Jean size shouldn't be as much of a factor as BMI, body fat percentage, and overall health. It's such an arbitrary number.
  • nilisabel
    Options
    it's also interesting as a social study, totally controversial, you know.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said, it really depends on a lot of factors. I am unhealthily large wearing the same jean size that my sister used to wear at a healthy weight. (She's now underweight, and wears my old jeans from before I started packing on the pounds.) It depends on your height, your build, how you carry your weight (some people are just naturally more "hippy" than others), etc. Jean size shouldn't be as much of a factor as BMI, body fat percentage, and overall health. It's such an arbitrary number.

it can vary a TON from person to person. For example I'm a size 4 in women's which some people on this thread have said is super skinny for them, yet my BMI says I'm a smidge overweight!
  • nilisabel
    Options
    you don't feel skinny? skinny isn't a feeling! but you know, I've been looking at people's screenames or other identifying themes (i.e. caricatures in their photo) and comparing their self-professed identities with their stated outlooks and I gotta say, the people who call themselves fat or cupcakeeater tend to not come in under on their calorie counts and people with barbie in their ID might be a little perfectionistic...I'm just saying, lol! (this is a totally broad generalization of my own experience here in the past 50 days or so that I've logged in, and of course I'm not being all that serious and have plenty of my own issues so i'm not throwing stones just highlighting a nugget of truth
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and for me:
    14-16 very chunky
    10-12 chunky
    6-8 perfect
    0-4 too skinny

Of course, brand sizes differ, so this is based on Gap sizes. :)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Can I just say to the people that think size 4 is super skinny..... I :heart: U !!

I am so not super skinny but my jeans are a 4!
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    It really depends on your body type and where you carry your weight. I have a larger lower half. I wear a 14 pants but a 10-sometimes 8 top. If you meet me sitting down I don't look that big.

Here's another thing to think about: Different manufacturers have different sizes. A size 10 in one place may be larger than a 12 in another brand.

Don't let the number in your pants dictate who you are or your self worth.

So very true, i was in a pinch for some brown dress pants and express didnt have any, i normally wear an 8-10 depending on store, and i was desperate shopping places i normally dont, went to maurices and a 14 didnt even fit me...uhhh...i know its shallow but i was like forget this, ive worked too hard to wear a 16 again!! So anyway, the point, i agree with most everyone else- cant always judge your size on the label!! :)
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    although i do agree if you are a size 1-2 then you needed to stop awhile ago...
    i do want to know what people consider healthy, because i want to be considered 'healthy', even if my bmi says i 'am'..if barely. this is mostly because societal predilections for skinnier people will NOT go away any time soon, but i will be going on job interviews soon....

it would just be nice to know if i could be perceived as attractive or healthy at a 5-6 or a 7-8 or even a 10. it's not the reason why i want to lose weight, but it really couldn't hurt.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    BTW words like "extremely fat" and "chunky" only make people feel worse about themselves.

coming from a size 28/30 I totally understand those words. The fact that I am now into the "fat" zone actually makes me feel better knowing I am not that anymore, and if I were still that size it would light a fire under my butt to try harder. I don't think it's offensive. I think it is pretty accurate especially since everyone's guess were within the same ballpark. Some may feel sensitive about it but it may be the kickstart they need. Just my oppinion tho.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Rather than jeans sizes, I would recommend using your BMI, body fat percentage, and opinions from your physician and/or nutritionist to gauge your progress and ultimate goal weight.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every single post, but i noticed a lot of people said that a size 0 or 1 was too skinny. For some people that's absolutely not true. It completely depends on your height, bone structure, and your genetics. I used to be a size 0 and 110 lbs, and that's actually really healthy for my height. I achieved it by eating healthy and working out (former gymnast/ dancer). Now I obviously have gained some lol but I want to get back to that size because it means I'm healthy, not that i needed to "stop a while ago"
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :noway: ITS ALL IN EXERCISE WHEATHER YOU ARE 5"4 AND LOOK FAT AT 135 OR YOU LOOK LIKE A SIZE 0
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every single post, but i noticed a lot of people said that a size 0 or 1 was too skinny. For some people that's absolutely not true. It completely depends on your height, bone structure, and your genetics. I used to be a size 0 and 110 lbs, and that's actually really healthy for my height. I achieved it by eating healthy and working out (former gymnast/ dancer). Now I obviously have gained some lol but I want to get back to that size because it means I'm healthy, not that i needed to "stop a while ago"

But the OP is 5'8"!
  • kgGreeneMachine
    kgGreeneMachine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ding724 is right on with what I'd say too.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    okay so aeropstale jeans sizes what would you say? im not taking my self worth just trying to figure if i should stop dieting now even though i havent made my goal i am donw to a size 1-2 in pants

Since you are 5'8 and have gotten your bones and organs into a size 1-2 and are only 125 lbs, just 1-2 lbs away from being underwright and clinically unhealthy you need to STOP dieting. Any flab you see in yourself is not fat but rather lack of muscle tone. Anything squishy is from either not eating enough so muscles loose mass or not doing any resistance training.

1-2 at 5'9 is super skinny. I'm a size 5/7 including Aeropostale (jeans are 7, dress pants are 5) and I'm 5'8, 138 lbs BMI <21 and body fat of 22% which is actually athlete level (just barely, on the verge of fitness level) and my body is constantly trying to gain weight since the ideal weight for me is 140-142.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't know about larger sizing, but this is what I would consider for the following for my approximate height of 5'9:

overweight 16-20
    chunky 14-16
    normal 8-12
    skinny 5-7
    super skinny 0-3

[This is obviously just my opinion & I mean no offense to anyone.]

I would agree, except I would replace 'chunky' with 'thick and sexy!' :-) My bias is toward having a bit of meat on one's bones.

I'm a size 10 now, and I'm almost 5' 8". I have a medium build, moderately curvy (not a true hour glass), longer legs/shorter torso, broader shoulders. Size 10 is a great size, nearly perfect, but I think my ideal size is an 8. I fit some 8's now and hope to be firmly in the 8 camp soon.

I'd say to anyone who has a healthy self-image to find that ideal size that makes you feel confident, healthy and well-balanced. It's different for everyone, based on a lot of factors. I know I thought I'd be good at a 14 but I wasn't happy there. Sometimes you don't know what works 'til you get there.
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :wink: ouch. I'm 5'4 (ish) and a size 0 and I don't consider me to be unhealthy skinny...

for someone 5'8 I would say:

16+ - voluptuous
    11-14 -curvy
    7-11 - fit
    <7 - slim

:flowerforyou: no need for negative language, we're all different sizes and different people, that's what makes it interesting :drinker:
  • mskrissytina74
    Options
    :wink: ouch. I'm 5'4 (ish) and a size 0 and I don't consider me to be unhealthy skinny...

for someone 5'8 I would say:

16+ - voluptuous
    11-14 -curvy
    7-11 - fit
    <7 - slim

:flowerforyou: no need for negative language, we're all different sizes and different people, that's what makes it interesting :drinker:

I especially agree with the last line!! :smile: